Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times

Advertisements

I used mobile banking and as soon as I make a charge I can almost immediately pay it off my transferring the funds over from my checking account. But is this the best approach to take? Does it effect your credit/rewards when way or another to not do this and instead wait until whenever the bill is due?

I think I know the answer, but would rather be safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 09:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
It won't hurt your credit or rewards. Nor will it help either.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
Paying cc off once a month is much easier and makes it easier to balance our payment account too, why bother paying it early, there is no advantage unless a person does not know how to live within their income.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:22 PM

251 posts, read 311,456 times
Just put it on auto pay and sail away.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Paying cc off once a month is much easier and makes it easier to balance our payment account too, why bother paying it early, there is no advantage unless a person does not know how to live within their income.
I don't take it as far as OP, but it is a good way to ensure never being late, over the limit, or over-spending. I pay twice a month, sometimes more after a large purchase. I use it for everything for the cash-back, but I don't want to get over 50% of my limit ever, and I don't want my report to reflect more than 10% usage. I get a ten point hit for going over 20% on the day it reports.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:41 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I used mobile banking and as soon as I make a charge I can almost immediately pay it off my transferring the funds over from my checking account. But is this the best approach to take? Does it effect your credit/rewards when way or another to not do this and instead wait until whenever the bill is due?

Pay multiple times per month if your monthly spending is more than 25-30% of your credit limit or so, since the balance at the time of reporting can impact your FICO credit score. Otherwise it does not matter.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:27 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Pay multiple times per month if your monthly spending is more than 25-30% of your credit limit or so, since the balance at the time of reporting can impact your FICO credit score. Otherwise it does not matter.
Even so, this only matters if there's going to be a credit inquiry where the score needs to be as high as possible during the month following.

I have one card with a 0% APR and $0 xfer fee special, so I bought my wife's car recently with my cash back 2.5% card, earned the cash back there and then xferred the balance to the other card so I can free up my cash for 12 months. However, that maxed out the card I transferred the balance to, which brought my score down 35-40 points.

Since I have no need for a mortgage in the next year, having my score dip as I pay the minimum payments on that card is meaningless. Going from 805 to 760 is hardly an issue - even going from 740 to 705 isn't a big deal. The only time it might be concerning is if your credit was marginal to start with - dropping below 620 isn't smart, because you have a higher likelihood of needing credit in a pinch than those with 740+ scores.

Some people get so obsessed over their score without fully understanding the impact (or lack thereof) of that score decrease. As soon as I pay off that card at the end of the 12 month period, my score will rebound back to the 800s. I also have 15+ open credit card lines (I used to have 22+ but closed some due to annual fees), so my overall utilization rate is still below 10% despite the high balance on one card.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Paying Off a Credit Card Charge Immediately or Waiting Until the Due Day?
What matters most is that you do them. All. Every month.
Next is that you do them consistently (eg: A&B on the 10th; X&Y on the 15th etc).
Get into a pattern of missing or juggling payments and you'll end in trouble.

As for me it's pay on receipt.
I see no advantage to having an accounts payable process too

Old 05-13-2018, 11:47 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:

What bank? It seems like chase and cap one let charges pend for 3 or 4 days. Its annoying and payment can't be made until it clears. In 2018 it should clear in a day

Old 05-13-2018, 12:34 PM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Agree about the obsession over credit scores taking tiny hits from cc purchases. No reason to clear cc charges that frequently. I've always paid off my cc balances each month, but it's important to not charge more than you CAN pay off in any one cycle. If I am paying off a cc from an interest-bearing bank account I prefer leaving as much money in it to work for me for as long as possible (yea, I know...it's tiny, but better than a kick in the head); so pay the cc right before the monthly due date, not before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance