Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 06:42 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
My kids are older so I have a different perspective. Not sure you'll feel the same way when all your kids can afford is a home in a crummy or unsafe neighborhood with lousy schools for your grandkids. Or when $ is needed for medical (or dental) costs that are unaffordable on their salaries. Easy to say they need to match except when life gets in the way.
I'm not going to have kids. I live 3000 miles away from my parents. If the bar is too high to buy a house in a certain area, then move somewhere else. I live in the SF Bay Area and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm forced out of here due to high costs, so it's not just some abstract thing that's easy for me to say other people should do; it's something that's been hanging over my head for a long time.

If you'd read my post closely, you'd see I already mentioned things like medical/dental, and reasonable education costs as exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 06:56 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
100-200 per month????? that's insane. we only managed to save 25 per month for each child for college and leaving the rest up to them to pay.

If I were to put some money away for my kids I would start a ROTH ira for them. a one time $20k lump compounding for 50 years at 4% interest will get 140k+ when the kids are ready for retirement. While they won't be able to retire on that, it will a great head start.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
My kids are older so I have a different perspective. Not sure you'll feel the same way when all your kids can afford is a home in a crummy or unsafe neighborhood with lousy schools for your grandkids. Or when $ is needed for medical (or dental) costs that are unaffordable on their salaries. Easy to say they need to match except when life gets in the way.
ultimately, the goal is to provide the highest quality of life for your kids. i dont really care if they appreciate the value of a dollar or work for anything that they own. if they are happy, that is all that matters. so just because someone has bought into the idea that you have to work to be a good person or you should have to work to earn something doesnt mean anyone else has to. i dont buy it. so we will see how it works out. if it fails, it is on me. my money isnt going to my children either way, im not going to donate it or spend more than would maximize my quality of life.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ultimately, the goal is to provide the highest quality of life for your kids. i dont really care if they appreciate the value of a dollar or work for anything that they own. if they are happy, that is all that matters.
But a big part of being happy is having realistic expectations and understanding that having a good life takes effort (in relationships, in work, in raising your own kids, etc.) The paradox is life gets harder if it's too easy. It's the classic example of how a certain amount of parental financial support is a good thing (food, basic clothing and shelter, help with college--although probably not the whole bill--if they are so inclined and get decent grades)...but too much financial support actually puts them at a disadvantage in life. It's like putting fertilizer on your lawn, a certain amount is great....too much and it kills it.

Mr. Money Mustache said it well. I was looking for one piece of the article to quote, but it was so good it was hard to find just one part of it:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013...-what-you-get/

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-03-2018 at 11:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Yes it is easy to say they must match what we will give them.

The point is helping, guiding, and building their character by matching funds.

When I was a teen, I mowed lawns, raked leaves, shoveled snow for extra money. I used their lawnmower, made them get the gas and oil and maintain the equipment. That kept my costs down, and I gave tgem a bargain rate of $5.00 an hour to mow. Once I knew how long it would take me to mow their lawn, the money was a set price for every time I did mow, same with leaves and snow. $5 was much higher than the $3 and something that constitued minimum wage at the time, all I did was show up regularly to mow and leave (or rake or shovel).

If we give them everything, they will get used to handouts, not working hard to earn the funds we will match.

They Must earn and learn. That will prepare them for the future. They will have to WORK for a c ompany to get a matching 401k - what we plan to do is the same as that.

With a wealthy grandfather, their parents may help them, and if we just give give give them, they will learn nothing except to have their grubby hands held out for more money.

So if they aren't willing to work and save, we won't be helping.

We've had life get in our way, and we are making stride to provide us a retirement.

We're only ask them to do the same.

Simple as that.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:12 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
ultimately, the goal is to provide the highest quality of life for your kids. i dont really care if they appreciate the value of a dollar or work for anything that they own.
You'll be providing your kids with everything they need, except for the one thing they need the most: resilience. Anything material can be lost, and people who've always had everything they need handed to them tend to crumple like a cheap paper towel if disaster happens and they lose everything they own. They don't know how to cope with needing to start over from scratch, or how to work hard to slowly claw their way back to prosperity.

Resilience in the face of life's unpredictable hardships is the single most important thing you can gift your kids. Mere money pales in comparison.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:17 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, not as long as you don't have expectations that put undue pressure on your child. My childhood best friend was told by her parents that since she had chosen to join the Coast Guard, she forfeited the money they had saved for her college education. Their relationship was never the same again.
If something like this is going to hurt a relationship, there was something wrong with it to start with.. I see nothing wrong with this approach; in fact, it could be motivational.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You'll be providing your kids with everything they need, except for the one thing they need the most: resilience. Anything material can be lost, and people who've always had everything they need handed to them tend to crumple like a cheap paper towel if disaster happens and they lose everything they own. They don't know how to cope with needing to start over from scratch, or how to work hard to slowly claw their way back to prosperity.

Resilience in the face of life's unpredictable hardships is the single most important thing you can gift your kids. Mere money pales in comparison.
i view the two things as separate. i want to educate my children on how to properly spend their money and how to prepare for potential problems while also providing them with enough money to offer them the flexibility to take whatever job they want (or no job if they dont want).

i understand that it is a challenge but i do not value hard work for all its theoretical benefits even when hard work isnt needed. if it isnt needed, it shouldnt be done. its my job to educate my children to understand that if it is needed, they will have to do it and to prepare them with that ability.

and also my situation is different than most people. i am saving heavily now for them so that there is a good shot that work isnt needed; so im a little different than just helping with school or a home down payment.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:43 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
ultimately, the goal is to provide the highest quality of life for your kids.
I do not share the same kind of goal as a parent.

It is up to them to provide for themselves. My responsibility [as I saw it] was to prepare them as children for success in the world when they became adults.

One of the proudest days in my life was when our eldest son bought his first Tri-plex residence, when he was 22. At that time he was only making Minimum-Wage, but he found a way to become a landlord.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not share the same kind of goal as a parent.

It is up to them to provide for themselves. My responsibility [as I saw it] was to prepare them as children for success in the world when they became adults.

One of the proudest days in my life was when our eldest son bought his first Tri-plex residence, when he was 22. At that time he was only making Minimum-Wage, but he found a way to become a landlord.
i know my wording wasnt great but i wonder if it was really understood that i meant that the parents are responsible for maintaining their child's quality of life for as long as they live. when i said provide; i meant provide the tools while you are responsible for raising the child. i didnt mean being on the hook for their happiness for their entire lives. there is a time where you are responsible for parenting; and then they are supposed to run with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance