Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:13 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,609,439 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to download some personal finance and investing books for my upcoming vacation. I've read Millionaire Next Door and Your Money or Your Life. I've read a few of the Boglehead forum recommendations.

Anyone read something insightful that was published recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 PM

10,276 posts, read 8,435,178 times
The books that most influenced me are
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
the 4 hour work week
Why A students work for C students

Based on your reading list they will be much different than what you have learned and come to accept.
Those books helped put me where I am today

Old 05-29-2018, 07:32 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,179,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm looking to download some personal finance and investing books for my upcoming vacation. I've read Millionaire Next Door and Your Money or Your Life. I've read a few of the Boglehead forum recommendations.

Anyone read something insightful that was published recently?
Not recently, but I encourage you to read "Debunkery" by Ken Fisher. Once you read that you never look at the markets and especially the reporting on the markets the same way ever again.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:02 PM

29 posts, read 56,387 times
I highly recommend JL Collins "A simple path to wealth". Alternatively most of the book content is on his blog for free. jlcollinsnh Start by reading the manifesto and then read the stock series in order.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 AM

105,671 posts, read 107,628,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Not recently, but I encourage you to read "Debunkery" by Ken Fisher. Once you read that you never look at the markets and especially the reporting on the markets the same way ever again.
the only thing i look at is my balance . if it is good then all is good as far as reporting .. if i listened to all these anti market writers i never would have invested as no time is ever good . there are always the ponzi people who have to find all the dirt they can and proclaim it as how things are across the board .

Old 06-01-2018, 11:52 PM

10,001 posts, read 7,139,323 times
Rich Dad Poor Dad was revealed to be about half fabricated, admitted by Kiyosaki himself. Just saying.

Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - the classics are still worth something.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:30 AM

10,276 posts, read 8,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Rich Dad Poor Dad was revealed to be about half fabricated, admitted by Kiyosaki himself. Just saying.

Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - the classics are still worth something.
It's the concepts he discusses that's important. Many people have a narrow and traditional view of finances, many books are nuts and bolts about investing in the market. Nearly every successful real estate investor counts it as the most influential book that they read changing their view on how money is invested and why. Most traditional ways of thinking say your house is your biggest asset while he says it is a liability.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:20 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,609,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

Rich Dad Poor Dad was recommended to me by a therapist while in college. I'm sure she had the best of intentions, but I was probably in a poor place to be reading it (why else would I be in therapy, right?). I recall the book fiercely set off all of my dad/snob/narcissist buttons to the point that I thought she assigned the reading as an inversely therapeutic tool.. that she meant to get my goat...

I didn't care what Kiyosaki was saying, I thought he was mean and unkind. I truly wanted to rip the whole book into pieces. And I told my therapist as much too.

That said, it's been 20 years and people are still talking about it. Maybe I should give it another try and see what I find.

Thanks for the other recommendation. I've not read it!

Old 06-02-2018, 01:51 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,410,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The books that most influenced me are
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
the 4 hour work week
Why A students work for C students

Based on your reading list they will be much different than what you have learned and come to accept.
Those books helped put me where I am today
Just listened to RDPD on Audible on a 17 hour drive and I will likely check out the other Kyosaki book you mentioned. RDPD is one of my favorites now, and I don't care whether it's fiction or not - the concepts are what are the valuable takeaways. He's a best SELLING writer for a reason. The only thing I disagreed with him on was taking on a job at a MLM company to learn about sales tactics.

Not sure that a Ferriss book is going to tell me more than I already know about looking for little hacks, but much of his advice is very risk heavy and isn't as broadly applicable as he believes it to be.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Just listened to RDPD on Audible on a 17 hour drive and I will likely check out the other Kyosaki book you mentioned. RDPD is one of my favorites now, and I don't care whether it's fiction or not - the concepts are what are the valuable takeaways. He's a best SELLING writer for a reason. The only thing I disagreed with him on was taking on a job at a MLM company to learn about sales tactics.

Not sure that a Ferriss book is going to tell me more than I already know about looking for little hacks, but much of his advice is very risk heavy and isn't as broadly applicable as he believes it to be.
Fiction writers have bestsellers, too.

A lot of folksy wisdom - I never believed that most all millionnaires drive 30 year old beaters and wear tattered clothes. I understand the lesson he's trying to teach but I don't need hyperbole and the apparent "approval" of millionnaires to live frugally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance