Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 AM

5,164 posts, read 3,086,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Heck, be glad she didn't left any debts.

Do I know someone who doesn't have single penny to their name? Not sure about a single penny - how would I know? But I know plenty of people who not only own nothing but have whole bunch of debts.
They rent, have never ending car payments, and credit cards maxed up. Most of them have no health problems, just problems with their life style.
They borrow AND they are not worried about paying back. "Thank goodness for bankruptcy" , "This is America", and "Sue me, I have nothing" is their attitude. They want live their life to the fullest, and think that only fools work hard and pay back.
As long the system allows such behavior, people will take advantage of it.
I'm dealing with this situation for a relative who lived their entire adult life irresponsibly, then they got sick. No savings, no assets, hundreds of thousands in medical bills, over $40K in unpaid credit card & bank loans, utility bills, etc., etc. Their attitude is exactly what you describe. They consider themselves "judgement proof" as though it was a good thing! Their words of wisdom to me were "it's a good thing I kept my powder dry all this time so I can still file for bankruptcy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarely leave the house View Post
So far the people responding are talking about the people they know that are poor, NOT WITHOUT A PENNY TO THEIR NAME.

My sister in law had absolutely nothing when she died, not a single asset other than old clothes. NOTHING!

Do you know anyone over the age of 40 without a penny to their name?
It sounds like she had some kind of disability/mental illness that you are unaware of.

So when she died, she had been a dependent all her life, and so, like a child, had no assets.

Is there something else to the story?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:44 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
I personally don't know anyone like this, but I don't feel anything is wrong with people who doesn't have a penny left behind when they die.

We were all born without bringing anything to this world. So, we have no right to take anything with us to the grave. Everything we possess in life is simply a borrowing. We borrow from one state and use it in another state of form. For example, we use our body to perform any kind of labor or service work in exchange for money, and we use the money to exchange for a mean of keeping us alive by having a shelter, clothes, foods, and water.

Is common these day to see life in a way that, oh by the time I die, I should have leave something behind for people surround me to take.

We can argue all day long about this, but the bottom line is, I am not surprise at all if people left nothing behind when they die. After all, we all came to this world nake and with nothing but the sound of crying for help.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:06 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I am not surprise at all if people left nothing behind when they die.
I can get the idea of having nothing of worth ("just an old car and $30 in a forgotten bank account")...
but the idea being presented here ...of having absolutely nothing and the implied idea of even
no history of owning anything ... is about ludicrous.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I can get the idea of having nothing of worth ("just an old car and $30 in a forgotten bank account")...
but the idea being presented here ...of having absolutely nothing and the implied idea of even
no history of owning anything ... is about ludicrous.
It's not ridiculous if she never was treated as an adult.

If a 15 year old passes away, it's highly likely they'll have zero assets - no bank account, and only the personal items like clothing or a few electronics as possessions.

She was being treated like a child, and the OP doesn't give information as to why that was.

I'm confused about why this is so confusing.

This sister in law wasn't self-supporting. She had no job ever, and she lived with her mother who supported her completely.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
This is true. A friend from high school is dealing with his dad's debts.
If the estate is in deficit why is he dealing with it at all?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:26 AM

5,164 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If the estate is in deficit why is he dealing with it at all?
Out of respect? Someone has to send out the death certificates and tell the bloodthirsty collection SOBs that they can go pound sand.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Out of respect? Someone has to send out the death certificates and tell the bloodthirsty collection SOBs that they can go pound sand.
And someone would also have to arrange the sale of any assets dear old Dad had, such as a house and car, and see that the money from the sale goes to his creditors.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:33 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarely leave the house View Post
So far the people responding are talking about the people they know that are poor, NOT WITHOUT A PENNY TO THEIR NAME.

My sister in law had absolutely nothing when she died, not a single asset other than old clothes. NOTHING!

Do you know anyone over the age of 40 without a penny to their name?

The individuals I know have well earning jobs ($50K income and more) but never saved a dime and spend every dime they currently make. They have no savings, no home (lost two to foreclosure and currently rent), no owned vehicles (only leases), etc. IF they make it to retirement they will have only SS benefits on which to live. Two $50K incomes in a family is not wealthy but will provide a stable middle class lifestyle in Michigan. Another individual has been regularly employed in a semi-skilled position for decades yet has lived (rent free) in their parent's home for 55 of their 58 years, and as such doesn't even have a Utility Company history of bills and payments for credit references! Although they do have a bankruptcy history. Sad outcome after 40 years of adulthood.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 06-05-2018 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 09:51 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I'm dealing with this situation for a relative who lived their entire adult life irresponsibly, then they got sick. No savings, no assets, hundreds of thousands in medical bills, over $40K in unpaid credit card & bank loans, utility bills, etc., etc. Their attitude is exactly what you describe. They consider themselves "judgement proof" as though it was a good thing! Their words of wisdom to me were "it's a good thing I kept my powder dry all this time so I can still file for bankruptcy"

These are the ones who should not have their debts discharged in bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance