Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm pretty sure she was hoping we would just give her a bunch of money, but we are not in a position to do that right now, and she doesn't really have that relationship with her son.
helping someone who is bad with money pay off loans can be the worst thing in the world to do. my mother's cousin spent a couple of years paying his brother-in-laws mortgage and then they ultimately defaulted anyway and lost the house. its gotta suck to help make someone's payments and hurt your own financial position and then they lose the house anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 10:10 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:

She has one credit card at 15% with a decent credit line available, and then for some reason opened cards at 25% and higher. Apparently, she spent all the equity from the reverse mortgage in 6 years.

As bad as it is, her only option is to not pay the credit cards. I will advise her to pay the one at 15% interest and keep that one for emergencies.
Just a FYI, You can expect the 15% card to cut down her credit line to just above what is owed, two or three months after she stops paying on the 25% cards. That credit card will see the defaults on the credit reports, and figure they are next. But they will keep it open with a credit line just above what is owed in some hope that she will continue to pay on it.

Also many credit cards in there fine print have a "Global Default Rate" if you default on one card (anywhere) they can change the 15% rate to the Default Rate of 25-29%.

So don't count on that credit card being available for the "long" term (more then 6 months).

Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
This I did not know.

That's why I post here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2018, 11:15 AM

363 posts, read 350,044 times
Quote:

That's why I post here.

I figured it was for the C-D benefit package.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:51 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Aren't you moving to the mainland soon? Will she stay in the middle of the Ocean?

Sounds like you are raising a irresponsible kid like most of my sisters kids.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Aren't you moving to the mainland soon? Will she stay in the middle of the Ocean?

Sounds like you are raising a irresponsible kid like most of my sisters kids.

She is an adult, and we are not raising her. That's an odd comment.

Yes, we are moving to the mainland in a couple years, and she will be staying here.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Just a FYI, You can expect the 15% card to cut down her credit line to just above what is owed, two or three months after she stops paying on the 25% cards. That credit card will see the defaults on the credit reports, and figure they are next. But they will keep it open with a credit line just above what is owed in some hope that she will continue to pay on it.

Also many credit cards in there fine print have a "Global Default Rate" if you default on one card (anywhere) they can change the 15% rate to the Default Rate of 25-29%.

So don't count on that credit card being available for the "long" term (more then 6 months).
Quote:
This I did not know.

That's why I post here.
I did not know that either (about "Global Default Rate"). Thankfully, I'm not planning on defaulting on any credit card loans.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
If she was going to stop paying on some of the cards is the only reason to keep paying one to have available credit? If the credit is going to get bombed financially speaking it may be better to default on all the cards and stay within budget moving forward

Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 AM

Oddly, she has never contacted us to get together on this issue after cancelling due to illness.

She has contacted us for other things, but not that.

Perhaps she is disappointed we are not giving her the money, but that would make no sense... the same situation will exist the next month and the next.

Or she feels bad, which was going to happen no matter how supportive we were.

She is also VERY picky on food, so I asked her for suggestions of stuff I can pick up for her and she never did that either.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:39 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
There is really only so much you can do for other people without their participation. What you just wrote should erase any lingering guilt about not doing enough for her. Some people can't be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance