Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 03:09 PM

130 posts, read 81,326 times

Advertisements

My bank sent me a new Visa card in the mail which replaced a MasterCard. A couple of weeks after I activated the new card I received email notifications from my bank that the card was used in a foreign country 2 times on the same day for nominal amounts of money so I notified the bank and they closed the account and send me a replacement card. My question is: how did someone get my credit card information if the new card never left my house, I never gave anyone nor any website the new card information, nor did I use the new card to make any purchases? Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 03:48 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Someone working for the credit card company could have stolen the information or more likely, someone could have hacked the company's database. I'm sure the number is stored electronically somewhere.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:49 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Who knows, and who cares? There's nothing you can personally do to prevent that sort of fraud. Just set up alert notifications by email and text message, and alert the bank as soon as you discover any fraudulent transactions.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user-3489_j65 View Post
My bank sent me a new Visa card in the mail which replaced a MasterCard. A couple of weeks after I activated the new card I received email notifications from my bank that the card was used in a foreign country 2 times on the same day for nominal amounts of money so I notified the bank and they closed the account and send me a replacement card. My question is: how did someone get my credit card information if the new card never left my house, I never gave anyone nor any website the new card information, nor did I use the new card to make any purchases? Thanks for any ideas.
I had something similar happen to me (new card, never used & never out of my purse), except that I had credit card charges in several different states all on the same morning. Most of the charges were for $200 to $300 except for one smallish purchase to refill a specific child's lunch account at a elementary school in another state.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:56 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Who knows, and who cares? There's nothing you can personally do to prevent that sort of fraud. Just set up alert notifications by email and text message, and alert the bank as soon as you discover any fraudulent transactions.
What about curious people who want to know? It's interesting to discover new frauds, no?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 PM

130 posts, read 81,326 times
Default mysterious, unauthorized credit card transactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Someone working for the credit card company could have stolen the information or more likely, someone could have hacked the company's database. I'm sure the number is stored electronically somewhere.
Thank you. That is disconcerting. It sounds like something that the banks don't disclose to the public/media.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user-3489_j65 View Post
Thank you. That is disconcerting. It sounds like something that the banks don't disclose to the public/media.
Yeah, the first thing that came to mind for me, was an "inside job", where maybe your info was sold off by an employee or it was just a good olde fashion hack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance