Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times

Advertisements

It seems that you have done alright. I would lean toward doing what you have been doing. One reason you (I mean anyone) would get an MBA is to help you get through the HR screening process at a company you want to work for. A second reason is to pick up basic skills in your filed. A third would be to show that you can accomplish tasks that take a brain. I think the MBA is window dressing in your case and I would pursue my work objectives. If you have time and really want the MBA I would get one at night or look for a weekend program. But the MBA would be because you want to get one and not that you need it to be successful. Now an exception. If you want to go into education getting a Phd would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:56 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,091 times
Why the MBA? - I think it would only slow you down. Are you looking to join corporate America at some point? You seem to be doing just fine on your own, I would focus on coming up with more business ideas.

Remember that many of the top tech entrepreneurs dropped out of college.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:32 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
What's your overall goal? That's the first and most important question. If your goal is to go to a job at an office the rest of your life, then heading down the path you're starting might be just fine if you continue to save at a high rate.

You sound competent. Any entrepreneurial venture incurs a significant amount of risk. What is your risk tolerance? It sounds like you're afraid of losing everything you've built, which is a very legit fear if you're going to continue down the venture path.

My take if your goal is to create a comfortable lifestyle for yourself - read the book, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and read as much as you can on Real Estate Investing and join a website like Bigger Pockets. There are risks with that, just as there are in the stock market, but with a very solid education and a strong network of people you can confide in, you can create serious income. The risk comes when you don't take the time to learn the details, much like in the stock market. Many investors still work their full-time job in the first 5-10 years just to supplement their income but once you reach the point where your cash flow exceeds your monthly personal expenses, you don't HAVE to work at a job anymore if you don't want to.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Most born entrepreneurs never want to have to work for anyone else ever again.

So the person who asked about your goals is spot-on. Are you working for the money or for the satisfaction of building something you may be able to sell someday?

Are you planning to retire early?

I ask these questions because your OP seems a little vague. You're off to a great start, though, no matter what path you choose.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:41 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Thanks for the humblebrag?

What is the topic to be discussed again?
It must be killing you all these people that appear to be bragging are doing better than you.
You could just ignore this thread as discussed on other threads, but no, you choose to let it offend you instead and make the effort to let everyone know.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:56 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Always leave it to either jealous, bored, or annoying Internet posters to assume everyone is bragging about everything. It’s almost like you’re required to be poor to make a post anywhere because god forbid someone have a dime more than you. My god.
OMG, so true.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocluestill View Post
I start my first job, outside of entrepreneurship, Monday. A little on me is that I have a degree in computer engineering, started a couple tech business raising around 165k worth in capital, and I taught myself how to trade stocks (I turn 10K into 34k over the course of a year). At this job Ill be making $52 an hour. I recognize that is a nice salary for anyone but it is just a 4 month contract for now (might extend to 18 months). I’m being brought in to oversee the development and come up with product features for 2 phone apps for the armed forces (Army, Navy, or Air Force). I say these thing in hopes you will believe I am some what competent but I am also only 24 so there is plenty for me to learn. My plan is to get my mba at a school like Emory but I need to save up. Currently I have 70k saved. Should I invest/bet on myself by starting another business or should I go slow and steady by working at companies (if I can find jobs)? What looks better for mba school? I am also open to any other financial advice (how much should I save).

If you happen to look at a post I made years ago, it turns out I didn’t have as much money as planned on. If not ignore this lol

P.S. I don’t have any loans, my car is also paid off, my main thing expense is rent. My expenses total to about 2k a month

Thanks for reading!
Taught yourself how to trade and tripled your money.....

forget the MBA (waste of time, everyone and his dog has one)
forget the $52 an hour and product apps....peanuts, boring....

Stock trading is your ticket ....go with that

Old 06-24-2018, 12:08 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It must be killing you all these people that appear to be bragging are doing better than you.
I’m semi-retired and live in Hawaii... It’s kind of hard to be doing better than me.

Thanks for your concern though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You could just ignore this thread as discussed on other threads, but no, you choose to let it offend you instead and make the effort to let everyone know.
Why would I ignore the thread? I asked a legit question: what was the topic to be discussed?

Should we all make threads about our personal finances with nothing to be discussed as well? I’d love to make a thread about being an educated 28 year old black man from poverty in Texas who now drives a corvette, owns a home, and lives in Hawaii forever but I would surely frame it around some question or suggestion to be discussed for CD posters.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:29 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I’m semi-retired and live in Hawaii... It’s kind of hard to be doing better than me.

Thanks for your concern though.

Why would I ignore the thread? I asked a legit question: what was the topic to be discussed?

Should we all make threads about our personal finances with nothing to be discussed as well? I’d love to make a thread about being an educated 28 year old black man from poverty in Texas who now drives a corvette, owns a home, and lives in Hawaii forever but I would surely frame it around some question or suggestion to be discussed for CD posters.
Wow - now THAT impresses me - let's talk!

Old 06-24-2018, 12:41 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,189 times
Congrats, OP, sounds like you're on the right path. I've been following an interesting blog that might interest you: www.themoneyhabit.org

If you can turn 10K into 34K, maybe you start your own blog teaching the rest of us how to do that? And, yeah, I have about $100 -- what kind of ROI can you give me with that little? LOL

#24Poor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance