Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 06:35 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Depending on how SIL was listed on the accounts, 100% of the money could be legally her money now. That is a good reason why all of the adult children (expected inheritors) need to be aware of exactly what is going on in their elderly parents finances.
Amen to that. When my own grandmother turned over her banking to the kids, my dad wrote the checks and my uncle signed them. I don't know how the account was actually set up, but when she passed, it was split among all her children equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
There has to be one or more beneficiaries for the trust. The sister may be listed on the records as trustee after the named trust.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
OP, it has been about two weeks, any updates?

Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Error. Terrible post.

The OP legally deserves half. From what we have been told about the value of the house and the savings account the OP has $100,000 coming to her family.

She should just say no thanks you keep it all? That’s insanity
No, the OP's husband deserves half. This isn't the OP's mother.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:46 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, the OP's husband deserves half. This isn't the OP's mother.
Post fail.

Clearly everyone knows “OP†means her husband/household

Old 09-09-2018, 12:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Post fail.

Clearly everyone knows “OP†means her husband/household

You didn't.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
OP, it has been about two weeks, any updates?
I think my own brother said it best last week when he said my SIL was a moron and a crook and spent all the money, time to move on. Yep.

What we know for sure is that out of the parents' checking account that started with $25,000, that there is only about $7,000 left. If she would've followed my husband's wishes to buy a cheap $500 carpet for one room and list the house right then, that account would still have close to $24,000.

We know that she did the opposite of everything they discussed, she overpaid for items that she shouldn't have bought in the first place. She disrespected his wishes, offers to help and good sense and has not been open and honest with him. And this is all legal, so now it's really a relationship issue.

And that relationship is over, he is done and wants nothing to do with her, he suspects strongly that she and his niece spent the money over the years. We can't prove it, it doesn't matter now. I have only written off one other person in my life and my SIL is the second. I'm so angry at how she treated him and stole from him and didn't include him in any of her decisions. The house is supposed to close this week, she lied to him about it being a cash sale, he never saw the offer or contract, we probably won't even see the sales price until it's public record. Supposedly she is going to wire his proceeds to our bank, I'll believe it when I see it.

I told her weeks ago that I would take care of filing the taxes instead of paying someone to do it. If she actually lets me do it, I would probably be able to get more info out of her. I'm not holding my breath, she'll probably hire someone and pay them the last $7,000 in the account.

The good thing is that I've been sharing this experience with my brother, sister and mom and we have already committed to sharing all responsibilities and info when the time comes that mom moves or passes away. We are committed to working as a team with full transparency, making sure one person doesn't have full control.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:39 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
A couple things to consider is that if the sister in law is trustee over a trust or executrix over an estate she is not obligated to take advice from, follow the direction of or do what your husband wants. Also if she was an owner on the checking account as in it was 2-3 parties listed as jtwros(I think that was mentioned earlier as a possibility) then that money was her.

She can still be a total moron and mishandling this

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 09-11-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
A couple things to consider is that if the sister in law is trustee over a trust or executrix over an estate she is not obligated to take advice from, follow the direction of or do what your husband wants. Also if she was an owner on the checking account as in it was 2-3 parties listed as jtwros(I think that was mentioned earlier as a possibility) then that money was her.

She can still be a total moron and mishandling this
Truth. My husband has no power.

So the house closed yesterday and she never called, so strange, why wouldn't she call her brother on the biggest money transaction they've ever had together. He just called her and supposedly half the proceeds will be wired to us tomorrow. Almost over.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I think my own brother said it best last week when he said my SIL was a moron and a crook and spent all the money, time to move on. Yep.

What we know for sure is that out of the parents' checking account that started with $25,000, that there is only about $7,000 left. If she would've followed my husband's wishes to buy a cheap $500 carpet for one room and list the house right then, that account would still have close to $24,000.

We know that she did the opposite of everything they discussed, she overpaid for items that she shouldn't have bought in the first place. She disrespected his wishes, offers to help and good sense and has not been open and honest with him. And this is all legal, so now it's really a relationship issue.

And that relationship is over, he is done and wants nothing to do with her, he suspects strongly that she and his niece spent the money over the years. We can't prove it, it doesn't matter now. I have only written off one other person in my life and my SIL is the second. I'm so angry at how she treated him and stole from him and didn't include him in any of her decisions. The house is supposed to close this week, she lied to him about it being a cash sale, he never saw the offer or contract, we probably won't even see the sales price until it's public record. Supposedly she is going to wire his proceeds to our bank, I'll believe it when I see it.

I told her weeks ago that I would take care of filing the taxes instead of paying someone to do it. If she actually lets me do it, I would probably be able to get more info out of her. I'm not holding my breath, she'll probably hire someone and pay them the last $7,000 in the account.

The good thing is that I've been sharing this experience with my brother, sister and mom and we have already committed to sharing all responsibilities and info when the time comes that mom moves or passes away. We are committed to working as a team with full transparency, making sure one person doesn't have full control.
Thank you for the update. I am so sorry that this worked out the way that it did.

At least your family, and maybe others reading this thread, will learn from the mistakes (of not having more accountability in the years before his mother's death and after her death). It is sad that his mother trusted his sister and niece to be fair and honest and it is likely that was not the case. If there were more "checks and balances" such as having the granddaughter write the grandmother's checks and have another person, such as her uncle, review them every month (or even once a year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance