Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,558 times

Advertisements

I just bought/financed a car via BoAmerica. I called them and said, I want to send you the amount of $7K (maybe more) so my monthly payment can be reduced. (I didn't give a big downpayment to the dealer) They can't. My 2 options are:

-pay you loan forward. Basically can go 7K/$655 months before I have to make another payment. At the same amount of 655 when that 7K is expended.
- apply the amount to the principal. However, all this does is reduce my # of payments. So instead of having a 5 year loan. It'll go down to 4 or 3.

I thought I was able to reduce my monthly payments for a prior car loan by making a substantial payment shortly after I bought a car. Why can't BoA let me do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
Why can't BoA let me do this?
Who knows.. but I bet it has something to do with them making more money

Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Because the terms of the loan are already fixed. You'll have to refinance the loan using the $7K as a down payment on the new loan. If Bank of America won't refinance it you should have no problem finding another lender who will.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,375 times
Depends on the terms of the loan....did you read the fine print at the time you took it?? It's probably in there but don't feel bad - most people never read through all the legal mumbo jumbo and don't even think about it until trying to do something like you're doing.

It's become very common with lenders to do this. And the answer to "why?" should be obvious - they still get to make money off the loan via interest based off the original amount taken.....if they recalculated it then it would lower their profit taking from you that was based on the higher loan and the higher amount they can skim off the top....big surprise right?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Depends on the terms of the loan....did you read the fine print at the time you took it?? It's probably in there but don't feel bad - most people never read through all the legal mumbo jumbo and don't even think about it until trying to do something like you're doing.

It's become very common with lenders to do this. And the answer to "why?" should be obvious - they still get to make money off the loan via interest based off the original amount taken.....if they recalculated it then it would lower their profit taking from you and the higher amount the can skim off the top....big surprise right?
If you had the payment applied to princ they would not be getting interest on the original amount taken. That’s not how it works

Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
I wanted to do this with my mortgage. I had a loan through Wells Fargo with PMI. We did very little work to the house and it came up in value, enough to drop the PMI. I also wanted to add a little cash to get the monthly payment even lower.. they wouldn't do it. So I did a no cost refi with some random lender at 3.5%, got exactly what I wanted, and Wells Fargo ended up buying back the loan anyway. I imagine the whole process cost them more than a few thousand $ vs just working with me.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you had the payment applied to princ they would not be getting interest on the original amount taken. That’s not how it works
Right if applied towards principal....but if using the pay it forward option then they would still get their cut. Also some (but probably not BoA as a lender) may have a prepayment penalty.....this is why people need to read through all the stipulations when taking a loan instead of getting a surprise later on.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,558 times
I hate the refi process because of the dings on your credit score.

I didn't give the dealer a large downpayment because someone (my dad/uncle?) advised me against it. Things change. I remember I was able to do this last time.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I hate the refi process because of the dings on your credit score.

I didn't give the dealer a large downpayment because someone (my dad/uncle?) advised me against it. Things change. I remember I was able to do this last time.

Thanks for the advice!
so what has changed that you no longer trust your dad/uncle's advice?

what interest rate are you paying?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 AM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
No. You have an installment loan. The finance (interest) is "financed" into the loan. Meaning, if you have a 5 year loan, the interest on the amount borrowed is added to the principal. The monthly payments is then derived by deviding that sum by the number of months of the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance