Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

What happens if I go to his bank and repeatedly present the check every day? I know they charged him $35 for the bounced check but would he get charged the same by me trying to cash the check or would they simply say there is not enough funds in the account and send me my way? If I could hit him with $35 a day, that might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What happens if I go to his bank and repeatedly present the check every day? I know they charged him $35 for the bounced check but would he get charged the same by me trying to cash the check or would they simply say there is not enough funds in the account and send me my way? If I could hit him with $35 a day, that might work.
I've done that...I worked at a bar that was failing as a bouncer. I'd go in, look at the teller, he'd shake his head "no, not today." Usually I'd talk to the owner and cash it out at the ned of the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
$3,000 is no small amount.

I will tell you what happened to a friend of mine who operated a one man , small town auto repair.

A couple were on their way home and encountered trouble near his place,10 miles from home.

He has an old wrecker, so locked his place, towed their car a mile to his shop, and fixed the emergency problem with parts and labor........$85 bill.

They thanked him over and over and wrote him a check.
It bounced !

Furious, he drove out to their house a week later and the wife answered the door smiling.
He held up the check.

" My, my " she said " what do you have there?

She then said ..." you know fully well it will cost you 3x that amount to try to get your money. Quit while you're ahead"

She then tapped him on the cheek like a mother does to a little boy, laughed in his face, and slammed the door in his face.

He said in his 42 years in business, he had never seen anything like that.
He could stick a lien on the car, actually.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
You can go on Judge Judy. Get a free trip to Cali and your money back with no lawyer fees. She wipes up the floor with cheating contractors.
Why would the bad check writer agree to go to the show though?

Old 07-17-2018, 08:31 AM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Why would the bad check writer agree to go to the show though?
Why not?

Free trip to California
Free hotel

Free spending money

and the SHOW pays instead of the person who lost.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Once a check is run thru twice, it is a worthless piece of paper and will be marked as such.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:41 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Not sure how many accounts he has but it's worth a try. The other thing is I don't have the original check anymore. Just the copy that my bank sent me. Last time I was there they seemed to treat it like the real check.
You need to get the original check back, I'm surprised they didn't send it to you, unless they are going to attempt to deposit it again.

When you get the check back, call the bank it was written on, some are automated so you can check funds availability. Eventually they will deposit another customer's check and you can go cash yours at their bank.

They don't get charged every time you call or go in person to check.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One of the issues with "Cashing it" every day is your bank will be charging you a return fee each time you do, and his bank will charge him a overdraft fee.

Did the Check Bonce/NSF or did he stop payment on it?

If it NSF'ed the builder will just get deeper and deeper in the hole on the fees, and you stand less and less chance of getting your money refunded.

While Small Claims court sound like a good route, what does your state allow for collection after you win? Can you get (and you have to pay for) the sheriff to go get his equipment/tools.
That's why I said GO TO HIS BANK, instead of trying to cash it at your bank. I mean, if he has the money right then, other checks, not the one you cash, will bounce. I wouldn't care if he got charged any fees.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
In some places, a check can only bounce twice before it no longer will be run thru.

So continually running it thru to run up overdraft charges doesn't work.
Take it to his bank. Ask if there are sufficient funds to cash it. Then cash it if there are. Other checks presented later will bounce but not that one.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Take it to his bank. Ask if there are sufficient funds to cash it. Then cash it if there are. Other checks presented later will bounce but not that one.
Yes, you go and ask the teller. You don't deposit it. The teller will get to know you and will check the account.

I've done it and it works.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes, you go and ask the teller. You don't deposit it. The teller will get to know you and will check the account.

I've done it and it works.
It works if there is money in the account. My purpose is to hit him with a fee every time the check is presented and bounced. I am not sure that's how it works though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance