U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,047,052 times

Advertisements

We are in the market for a new vehicle and already know what we want. It's a 2018, so will be new off the lot. Do dealerships even negotiate the prices on new vehicles? I've only ever purchased used in which case some back and forth is expected. Any tips to get them to drop the price at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 07:01 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,073,441 times
Negotiation is way, way easier than many years ago. You can get street prices on the internet and dealers know that. They are typically highly competitive especially when they can see you have done your research.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:07 PM

318 posts, read 177,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Negotiation is way, way easier than many years ago. You can get street prices on the internet and dealers know that. They are typically highly competitive especially when they can see you have done your research.
I agree with this. Research on the internet. The more you know will save you money. Also, the more popular the car you want, the less wiggle room there will be. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:21 PM

151 posts, read 74,931 times
You must be prepared to walk away if you don't like the price you're hearing. Like a dog sensing fear, a car salesperson can sense weakness haha.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 PM

675 posts, read 1,264,818 times
I think getting bids from the dealers online is the best way to go. They know they're bidding against other dealers to get your business.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:51 PM

764 posts, read 316,511 times
Recently purchased a new car. I got a quote locally from a dealer through Edmunds.com. Researched the car I wanted with the exact options and color, selected to get a quote, and within seconds I had a price from a local dealer in my email box.

Then I went to another dealer and asked if they could match it or better.

The quote was nearly 3k under msrp (including destination charge of 1k).

Then we went back and forth over accessories. We got the roof rack and a wired hitch, plus all weather mats for 25% off. They still made a killing on the accessories and financing (2.84%).

We feel we got a decent price on the exact car we wanted, with the options and accessories exactly as we needed.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 AM

4,767 posts, read 2,879,721 times
Do you have a trade? That gives you some or more wiggle room.

The major dealership(s) covering 9 brands here has,a locked in price for new and used vehicles. The price is the price all day long. Where you can get them in negotiations is the "value" of your trade. If you can expect "x" dollars on the street private sale, you might be able to wrangle that out of them. Even with negotiable prices, the value of your trade can change your new car price drastically. Take your trade to be detailed, tgey won't charge you for it, if they do, negotiate it out of the value.

If no trade, and set retail price, shop around or online to get best price, see if they will match or habe the best price overall.

Don't be hoodwinked into this and that "bonus option" or other "extended warranty" they want to sell you. I have asked the dealer "do you honor this warrantee you are selling?". Often the answer is NO. I then say "why woukd i buy it if YOU wont honor it"!! So i wont buy it.

I negotiate by telling them I want vehicle, taxes, tags, TITLE and THAT "out the door " price to write on my check. NOTHING ELSE.

If I get pressured I won't buy.

Another way to get a better deal is to say " I always sleep on large purchases" and ask if tgey will hold the vehicle for 24 hours. Often when I call to say "I'll take it", they will have already dropped the price, OR increased the value if my trade.

I once had a finance man actually pound the desk threatening me trying to force me into buying extended warrantee ( which they make a ton of money on [And won't honor to boot]). I said im not buying today then. I went to tell the executive manager what had transpired, and said i refude to buy tge vehicle that day. I asked for the paperwork so I, I, I myself could shred it with my info on it. I got it and left. I looked at it later. The trade in manager had written $5k for it on trade in allowance. The salesman told me $2k. Then when I returned the next day he told me he got his manager to increase my trade in value to $3k. That was BIG TIME BS. he could give me up to the $5k the trade in manager allowed! BUT DIDN'T.

So do your research, negotiate minimum price out the door, and NEGOTIATE the highest value,for any trade.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:13 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,138,725 times
Be coy about how you plan to pay for it. They make money on financing and if you make them think you'll do financing through them, they might budge on price/options/etc. And when the price is settled, you can pay however you want.

Don't let them sell you that TruCoat.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:28 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,871,288 times
The last car 2017 Acura RDX, I bought using email. The car was in their stock and listed on thier web page. They had an internet sales mgr. I emailed him and asked, how much, out the door. I told him about my trade in. He asked for pictures of my trade. We went back and forth over about a week. I believe I got a fair discount on the car and a fair trade in. When we agreed on everything, I drove up and checked out the RDX and he checked out my trade. That was it. Easiest purchase I’ve ever done.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,138,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The last car 2017 Acura RDX, I bought using email. The car was in their stock and listed on thier web page. They had an internet sales mgr. I emailed him and asked, how much, out the door. I told him about my trade in. He asked for pictures of my trade. We went back and forth over about a week. I believe I got a fair discount on the car and a fair trade in. When we agreed on everything, I drove up and checked out the RDX and he checked out my trade. That was it. Easiest purchase I’ve ever done.
I've had similar success. I didn't have a trade-in though. My wife wanted a car, certain exterior/interior color, options, etc. We had been jerked around by local dealerships. We learned quickly that asking for what we actually want is pretty much a recipe for paying whatever the dealer wants. Isn't that crazy... But, when they have what you want, why negotiate at all, right?

I found the car she wanted in the color she wanted, but it was like 150 miles away. I contacted the internet manager on a monday - asked if they had that car, did not mention color. I know they had it though (at least from their online inventory). We came to an initial agreement on price, then I threw the curveball on color. I was pretty sure they did NOT have red (my wife wanted blue).

Me: "Say, you got that car in red, right?"
Him: "Let me check... no... sorry it just sold yesterday." (Probably a lie).
Me: "Oh, that's a shame. I was sure you said you had red when we talked on Monday. My wife is going to be disappointed. She was set on that color."
Him: "Listen, I got the same car in blue."
Me: "Yeah, but my wife is particular about the color, there's probably a dealership elsewhere that can do it."
Me: <just stay quiet>
Him: "I'll give you the blue one for $1000 off the price we already agreed to."
Me: Yeah, I don't know if that will fly... you know... not Red and all. Besides, the earliest I can drive down to you (150 miles) is Saturday (3 days from now).
Him: "$1500 off and I'll drive to you today."
Me: "Deal."

By no means will I claim I'm an expert. I've only bought like 6 cars in my lifetime. Whereas a cars salesman has sold hundreds. But, I pulled the same trick when I bought our van. Same deal with the color being an issue. The first dealership I had to walk out of it. No big deal. The second dealership, $1200 off. Not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance