Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:22 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

At times fidelity is even cheaper on their index funds. Speaking of low fees , I just read the tax fraud case against vanguard is still waiting to be decided .

Their one time head tax lawyer blew the whistle on the fact their low fees were really a tax ploy. The company would charge the mutual funds excessively low fees so as to not show taxable profits and have under payed billions in taxes while diverting profits to some sort of contingency fund that was redistributed in some manner in which it committed tax fraud in his option and they fired him for making a big to do over it.

It has been going through the courts for a few years but stalled out waiting for the high court to decide a similar case before ruling.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-30-2018 at 04:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I would do option X.

Open a RollOver IRA account, at either Vanguard or Fidelity (Really does not matter they are both good companies).

Its generally not a good idea to leave it under your old Employers 401K, If they company closes it 401K for some reason, Goes bankrupt, Does not pay the Administrator you funds could be locked up for months or maybe year while the mess is cleared up.

Moving it to your current employer just locks the money in to their plan choices.

Getting it in to a Rollover IRA gives you the option of investing the money as you wish. If in the future your Tax situation changes has you in a Low(er) Tax Bracket, That Rollover IRA, can be converted to a Roth IRA, Pay the taxes on it then (with other money) Then grow tax free.

To move the Old 401K, Just contact (Fidelity or Vanguard) they will do all the work, (You should NEVER touch the money) to move it from fiduciary to fiduciary. (takes about a week).

Old 07-30-2018, 07:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think companies like Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, and Dodge & Cox are all quite straightforward and don't charge loads or other annoying fees (or at least very minimal).

They don't charge fees on after-tax portfolios. My question is about IRA accounts and Roth IRA accounts. They have to make their money somehow.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Vanguard 'new' second verification process (personal US cell phone ONLY) is impossible to use if you spend a lot of time 'out-of-country', or live in a non-cell coverage region of USA, so... if I can't access my Vanguard accounts, I will be moving them.

30+ yrs and lots of accounts, but I need access... Fidelity has not YET been so restrictive as is remove access to my accounts.

Vanguard claims NO options beyond a direct call / txt to your USA based carrier phone for 2nd verification.

Vanguard customer service for non-traditional services (something that a robot cannot answer)... is not stellar.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Even though the other companeis might not have loads, I believe only Vanguard has low expense ratio stock index funds, but I have no personal experience with the other companies to know if that's a true statement. By far the best thing you can do is go with low cost stock index funds like Vanguard.
fidelity announced the first ever no fee index funds today ....

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject....ndex-fund.html

Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times
Most managed 401k's will have additional 'bookkeeping' and 'custodial' fees, you can check your account history to see how much they take out. Ideally you'll want to roll it to an IRA via trustee-trustee transfer. You'll have options to put in low/no-load(Fidelity Zero) fund and also convert some or all of it eventually to Roth IRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance