Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times

Advertisements

these stories of "unfair" inheritances warms my heart. You didn't earn it, it's not yours to decide who gets it. Unbridled greed leads to sad faces. lol

Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
It's a fool's game
Nothing but a fools game
Standing in the cold rain
Feeling like a clown
It's a heartache
Nothing but a heartache

Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
these stories of "unfair" inheritances warms my heart. You didn't earn it, it's not yours to decide who gets it. Unbridled greed leads to sad faces. lol

Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Error

At least it would be equal
Error. Not equal based on your definition. But equal based on granny's.

You've defined "unit" as a family.

Granny had defined "unit" as individual person.

She gets to make the definition, since it's her money.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
If daughter 1 had 10 kids and daughter 2 had 1 and you’re ok with daughter 1 and fam getting 250k and 1 fam getting 50k than that’s on you
Really a moot point, since I don't believe in parents stealing the inheritance of their children.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
In any case you can keep beating a dead horse if ya want

My original scenario was unequal in reference to household/family
And no matter how many times you say it, it's STILL not the way granny used as the deciding unit to leave her money.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:46 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
It doesn’t matter if we only have 1. Granny doesn’t know that. What if older daughter has a 5th a year after granny passes away.

Sorry kid 5 you don’t get a dime. But your 4 siblings that are a few years older than you have 43 Gs
Then older daughter should be grateful that due to Granny she only has to save for ONE college education. As you and your wife should be grateful you need to save for ZERO college educations. If your kid decides to go to college, it won’t cost you a dime. I would have been down on my knees thanking anyone who provided that for my kids.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Fortunately, no amount of whining, foot-stamping, breathholding, or repeatedly saying “error” will get a valid will overturned. So the OP and his wife will just have to learn to to live with the terrible unfairness of being treated equally.

And with any luck, the lurkers reading this thread will see how even the most equitable distribution of an inheritance can be construed as unfair by someone, and won’t count on their heirs getting along with each other. And they’ll understand the importance of leaving any bequest to a minor child via a trust the parents can’t touch.

Read the book I recommended earlier in this threat (Beyond the Grave), think about the issues carefully, and then consult an estate attorney to see that your wishes will be carried out. It’s the best you can do.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Fortunately, no amount of whining, foot-stamping, breathholding, or repeatedly saying “error” will get a valid will overturned. So the OP and his wife will just have to learn to to live with the terrible unfairness of being treated equally.

And with any luck, the lurkers reading this thread will see how even the most equitable distribution of an inheritance can be construed as unfair by someone, and won’t count on their heirs getting along with each other. And they’ll understand the importance of leaving any bequest to a minor child via a trust the parents can’t touch.

Read the book I recommended earlier in this threat (Beyond the Grave), think about the issues carefully, and then consult an estate attorney to see that your wishes will be carried out. It’s the best you can do.
That's the truth.

The worst story I have, and this is truly painful, is from a coworker many years ago.

Her father had a bit of a lingering death in the hospital. In his last days he seemed openly hostile to her and her sibling's visits, but he was in pain so they didn't think all that much of it.

When the Will was read, only one brother was given the entire inheritance. The Will had been redone 2 weeks before his death, at his deathbed in the hospital. The one inheriting brother had set up a meeting with the dad's attorney, who rewrote the will with the text "and ___ and ____ and ____ know why they are disinherited".

The one brother had said something - God knows what - that convinced the father to disinherit them all. And they will never know what that lie was that their beloved father took the grave believing about them.

Now that sucks. This whole thing about your family not getting an unequally balanced share is just fair.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:50 AM

813 posts, read 600,378 times
As I understand it, if the old lady has that money in an account with a specified beneficiary then the will won't mean anything... A designated beneficiary trumps the will. That's why beneficiary information is important.

Correct me if I'm wrong (As I know you guys are good at doing!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance