Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:23 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Should be split in half between the two daughters.
No - is the money meant to enrich the daughters primarily or the grandchildren? Did the daughters decide on the size of their families with the size of a possible inheritance in mind? Doubtful - the one with more kids didn't have more kids to "bilk" mom - though perhaps that is what the other daughter thinks.

Likely grandma figured the grown daughters are doing fine and wanted to "remember" them with something but the real intention was to help out the grandkids and give them a good start in life so she divided it all equally and to heck with whose "family" got more. How silly is that?! "Oh my, that silly broodmare of a sister just 'stole' a bunch of money from 'my family'!". How greedy that sounds.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 6,734 times
Inheritances are nasty, divisive issues that inevitably lead to pain and pitting families against each other. Either don't leave any money to anyone, or, be very open and upfront about it all before the death of the person.

Here is my example. My husband's grandfather (who was moderately wealthy) died many years ago and left everything to his wife and nothing to his children or grandchildren. So far, so good, and it was accepted by the family.

His wife at that time was his second wife (his first wife, my husband's paternal grandmother, had been tragically killed in an auto accident when my husband's father was a young man). My husband's father got on well with his step mother and there never appeared to be any ill-will. She (the step-grandmother) always treated my husband as if he was a biological grandchild (and I, once I had come onto the scene). The step-grandmother had 3 children from her previous marriage, and then there was another child born after the marriage.

Still following?

The step-grandmother lived frugally and unbeknownst to everyone, had been very wisely investing the money she had inherited from her (2nd) husband. She died several years ago. She left a small fortune in her will. Not enough to make anyone independently wealthy. But, enough to make considerable dents in mortgage payments etc. She massively favored her biological children and grandchildren over her step-child and step-grandchildren. My husband's father has felt very bitter about this ever since and it will probably stay with him till his own death. It didn't really affect my husband one way or the other. He didn't really know his grandfather as he died when he was very young. So, he saw the money as being his step-grandmother's (he always referred to her as grandmother, i'm just using the 'step' part to make it clear). But his father sees it as his father's money, that he was entitled to.

Not sure if this adds anything to the discussion or is a separate issue or a distraction. I just wanted to add it to give my example of an inheritance and the ensuing fallout from it. Feel free to ignore!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Oh my, that silly broodmare of a sister just 'stole' a bunch of money from 'my family'!". How greedy that sounds.
Yes it does...and it extends beyond the realm of family money. Consider the urban not-quite-myths about using kids to milk Welfare and other societal handouts, the AK Permanent Fund Dividend, etc.

Ah that word, that word...entitlement!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:53 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Great way to make bitterness
Why??

Why should any adult feel they are entitled or owed any part of someone elses money??

No one has yet to explain this.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:53 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Interesting. Now what if the daughters had passed previously, and only the grandchildren survived the grandmother? In your system of fairness, should one grandchild receive $150k all to themselves, while the other four are left with $37k each?
That’s a tricky one.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Charity starts at home.
Yes and i'm sure these sister did not become successful all by their lonesome.

Between birth and adulthood MOST parents drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on their kids. Not even talking about college tuition.
So in no way can these sister all of a sudden cry "woe is me"

Old 08-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
DARN IT!!!

EACH PERSON IS GETTING AN EQUAL SHARE.

HOW MUCH MORE FAIRER CAN THAT BE???

Your miffed you got less than sis because you you vhad fewer children.

EACH INHERITOR GOT AN EQUAL SHARE.

END OF STORY.

And as noted, it's MOTHER'S/GRANDMAS money to do whatever with. NOT YOURS.
Bahahahah.

Not equal per family

Old 08-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Bahahahah.

Not equal per family
Lol so by this theory does the sister who is a millionaire have to give up some of her money so the families are equal?

Does big family sister have to give up one of her kids gift to make it equal?

I bet sister with one kid is now going to whine about this for years to come.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:06 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
That’s a tricky one.
There are different ways to look at it the situation. You can look at it as two families, or you can look at it as seven individuals. I don't think either option is more valid than the other. Now, by taking the parents out of the example, I'm hoping that it makes it easier to consider the children as individuals.

From grandma's perspective, she might have her own special one-to-one relationship with each grandchild, not just a second-degree association through the parent. Each grandchild is someone that she loves separately, and each grandchild is someone she wants to take care of... equally.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrun_sf View Post
Inheritances are nasty, divisive issues that inevitably lead to pain and pitting families against each other. Either don't leave any money to anyone, or, be very open and upfront about it all before the death of the person.

Here is my example. My husband's grandfather (who was moderately wealthy) died many years ago and left everything to his wife and nothing to his children or grandchildren. So far, so good, and it was accepted by the family.

His wife at that time was his second wife (his first wife, my husband's paternal grandmother, had been tragically killed in an auto accident when my husband's father was a young man). My husband's father got on well with his step mother and there never appeared to be any ill-will. She (the step-grandmother) always treated my husband as if he was a biological grandchild (and I, once I had come onto the scene). The step-grandmother had 3 children from her previous marriage, and then there was another child born after the marriage.

Still following?

The step-grandmother lived frugally and unbeknownst to everyone, had been very wisely investing the money she had inherited from her (2nd) husband. She died several years ago. She left a small fortune in her will. Not enough to make anyone independently wealthy. But, enough to make considerable dents in mortgage payments etc. She massively favored her biological children and grandchildren over her step-child and step-grandchildren. My husband's father has felt very bitter about this ever since and it will probably stay with him till his own death. It didn't really affect my husband one way or the other. He didn't really know his grandfather as he died when he was very young. So, he saw the money as being his step-grandmother's (he always referred to her as grandmother, i'm just using the 'step' part to make it clear). But his father sees it as his father's money, that he was entitled to.

Not sure if this adds anything to the discussion or is a separate issue or a distraction. I just wanted to add it to give my example of an inheritance and the ensuing fallout from it. Feel free to ignore!
This happens a lot. Parent remarries leaves everything to new wife/husband, original kids get less $$$/ or nothing.

Could grandpa have stipulated in is will when he 2nd wife dies money reverts back to his kids and his biological kid with 2nd wife and none to 2nd wife’s biological children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance