Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:44 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

Finally got thru to a human at the bank. She iterated what you guys said, i.e., no sweat from the bank's point-of-view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:04 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Embarrassing screw-up on my part. Check written today is 11 numbers after the previous check.

1) Will this be questioned by the bank?

2) Should future checks resume after this latest check or can I go back to the checks I bypassed?

Yes, I tried to contact the bank but got nothing but robots and couldn't connect with a human. I don't know how I've survived this long being so damn stupid.
No. Nobody cares.

If you get a bank statement that you check it will probably indicate the skipped check numbers. It happens for tons of reasons. Sometimes I put the wrong name or amount on a check so I just cross it out and then there's a skipped check. Sometimes I grab a different check book.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:14 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I've always used checks out of sequence. I have a checkbook, my wife has a checkbook. If we write checks, which really isn't often, they don't hit the bank in sequence at all. The bank never had an issue and never contacted me. The only possible problem I can see with it is if you used checks out of order and were not sure what the next check number is when you reorder checks. The bank might not honor a check with identical number on it.

Is this true? I still have to write a fair number of checks, and my check numbers are now well into 4 digits, which is annoying because there's not enough space in the checkbook register to record the check numbers unless I write so small that I can't ever read them again. Is there any reason not to restart with 101 again when I reorder checks?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:31 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
OMG the horror!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What is a checkbook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
You beat me to it.

There is nothing that I need to pay anymore that requires a check.
Interesting...I still write a few of them.

One is a bill that never seems to be able to succesfully complete the transaction. Over an hour on the phone after I switched bank accounts, they still can't get it right. Not worth it anymore. I'll send the check.

The power bill has a 50-50 chance of getting the website to work...so every other month it seems I mail it off.

The trash is quarterly, so though I could, I don't. Not worth the hassle to log in four times a year.

Internet and phone I mail off, if only so I have it handy when I have to call and argue with them.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i find it funny that someone actually thinks that this would matter. sorry.

we write some checks regularly still but the vast majority of payments are electronic.

cleaning lady, daughter's pre-school, most repair/service companies that come to the house, home improvement contractors, etc.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:47 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
The bank doesn't care, the recipient doesn't care, no one cares. It doesn't matter. No need to worry.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Any time I make a personal check payment, I swear, it's always out of sequence. I have like 6 check books in various places, which I rarely use, so I can't remember which one I used last. I don't care if they're out of sequence, though the bank notes it. My corporate checks are always in sequence but how they are deposited by the people who receive them probably makes them repeatedly out of sequence as I'll write 3 checks in a day, mail them across the country, and maybe someone is lazy and waits a week, someone else is only a few states away and deposits immediately, etc.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My bank statement arrives with checks out of sequence marked with an asterisk. That's to make it easier for me to balance my checkbook.
Surprised you still get paper statements. So much easier to balance home and business accounts online, continuously, instead of waiting for a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance