Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 PM

136 posts, read 146,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
1,2,3,4, Go the bank (perhaps a branch NOT in your neighborhood as your parents may have persuaded the tellers there to lie to you) and ask to speak to a bank officer. He or she should tell you the truth about those four questions.

And, how in the world did you fill out your income tax forms if your parents refused to give you your tax information (W-2 forms, interest income, etc.) for the years from when you started working until you turned 26 years old? Or didn't you make enough income to need to file taxes? Or did your parents do your taxes and forge your signature every year?
I did not work from 18 to 24 (and part of 25). From 18 to 24 (first half of 24) I was in college. Then I was trying to find job afterwards. I started working when I was 25 (2nd half of 25). My birthday in summer, so from January 2017 to July 2017 (till my birthday) I was in 2nd half of me being 25 when I found job. Once July came I was 26 till this year when I turned 27 last month. So I obviously never needed tax stuff since I never worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
1,2,3,4, Go the bank (perhaps a branch NOT in your neighborhood as your parents may have persuaded the tellers there to lie to you) and ask to speak to a bank officer. He or she should tell you the truth about those four questions.

And, how in the world did you fill out your income tax forms if your parents refused to give you your tax information (W-2 forms, interest income, etc.) for the years from when you started working until you turned 26 years old? Or didn't you make enough income to need to file taxes? Or did your parents do your taxes and forge your signature every year?
The only location for the bank is the town that I live in, so won't help really with this. The people at the bank probably all know them by now (aka tellers). Even people I do not know about. So maybe I can see if I can talk to a manager or something and see when they are there (and call first maybe so I do not show up for nothing), so I do not get tellers (who obviously probably know them and may blab like you said). Manager probably does too but I can try since its 50/50 chance.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:08 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
It's interesting reading peoples old posts and yours go back a few years. You blame your parents for not "Letting" you work through college and other strange posts.

You're parents have not raised you to be independent. You've asked questions about insurance and other things I taught my kids when they were teens. You're parents are doing you no favors by keeping you in their house. By the time most of us were 27 many of us had families and were very independent.

Your parents are keeping you prisoner in their home. Go back and read your old posts. Get out now. Get a room somewhere. Grow up.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's interesting reading peoples old posts and yours go back a few years. You blame your parents for not "Letting" you work through college and other strange posts.

You're parents have not raised you to be independent. You've asked questions about insurance and other things I taught my kids when they were teens. You're parents are doing you no favors by keeping you in their house. By the time most of us were 27 many of us had families and were very independent.

Your parents are keeping you prisoner in their home. Go back and read your old posts. Get out now. Get a room somewhere. Grow up.
Asking questions about insurance was probably obvious at the time because I just bought my first car last year in 2017 and obviously had no clue about insurance yet. Also, no one is keeping me prisoner and whatever else you think is true. I can leave whenever I want. I'm actually moving out sometime next year in 2019 - hopefully during first half of year. Its not, you are just assuming based on a post.

If I was kept prisoner and not allowed things like most people, then why do I have my own checking account where its just my name and not my parents with me (where my checks go when I get paid)? Why are my parents not taking my paychecks and using it for themselves? Why am I paying for my own car that's in my own name? The list goes on. Apparently that's being a prisoner to you and not being independent. I wonder what being independent and not being prisoner is to you then.

Also, obviously Im still home for time being. If you actually knew what NJ charges for rent for practically nothing you would stay home longer too. Just like most of us in NJ who is my age, how can anyone afford $1,000 per month in rent (which is cheapest)? Assuming again.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Asking questions about insurance was probably obvious at the time because I just bought my first car last year in 2017 and obviously had no clue about insurance yet. Also, no one is keeping me prisoner and whatever else you think is true. I can leave whenever I want. I'm actually moving out sometime next year in 2019 - hopefully during first half of year. Its not, you are just assuming based on a post.

If I was kept prisoner and not allowed things like most people, then why do I have my own checking account where its just my name and not my parents with me (where my checks go when I get paid)? Why are my parents not taking my paychecks and using it for themselves? Why am I paying for my own car that's in my own name? The list goes on. Apparently that's being a prisoner to you and not being independent. I wonder what being independent and not being prisoner is to you then.

Also, obviously Im still home for time being. If you actually knew what NJ charges for rent for practically nothing you would stay home longer too. Just like most of us in NJ who is my age, how can anyone afford $1,000 per month in rent (which is cheapest)? Assuming again.
Well, you are the only person that I have known in my entire life (and I am 66 years old) who had their first job when they were 25 (with the exception of a few people who started working in family businesses often as children or young teens). Probably 90% of the people that I know/have known had their first job between age 16 and 18 (or younger).

I believe that almost 100% of the people that I know/have known worked part-time (and a few full time or almost full time) during college. Now, not everyone worked their freshman year or when they had full time internships or something similar, but almost 100% of everyone that I have ever known in my lifetime (people my own age, people the age of my children, relatives, friends, co-workers, etc. etc.) worked at some point during college.

Of course, I don't know a lot of super wealthy people. Maybe if I did I would know someone who got their first job at age 25.

Regarding checking accounts, almost everyone that I know, including me, opened up their first checking account at age 18 without their parent's name on the account. In fact, when my daughter registered for college in 2006, anyone who did not have a checking account in their own name was required to get one to complete registration for classes (it was connected to their college accounts, bus passes, campus book store, cafeterias).

Note, I'm not trying to belittle your accomplishments , I'm just trying to point out that your life is so much different, and far less independent, than most people your age in many ways (and has been for years).

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-21-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well, you are the only person that I have known in my entire life (and I am 66 years old) who had their first job when they were 25 (with the exception of a few people who started working in family businesses often as children or young teens). Probably 90% of the people that I know/have known had their first job between age 16 and 18 (or younger). I believe that almost 100% of the people that I know/have known worked part-time (and a few full time or almost full time) during college. Now, not everyone worked their freshman year or when they had full time internships or something similar, but almost 100% of everyone that I have known in my lifetime (people my own age, people the age of my children, relatives, friends, etc. etc.) worked at some point during college.

Regarding checking accounts, almost everyone that I know, including me, opened up their first checking account at age 18 without their parent's name on the account.

Of course, I don't know a lot of super wealthy people. Maybe if I did I would know someone who got their first job at age 25.
Maybe not where you live, but where I live (its not a rich area), theres some people who did not work in college. Most do, but some do not.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
Maybe not where you live, but where I live (its not a rich area), theres some people who did not work in college. Most do, but some do not.
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of the people that you know got their first job at age 25? People that never worked in HS, never worked a part time job during college, never worked summers during college AND never had a paying job until a few years out of college?

Even in your area, I doubt if it would be a very large percentage, especially if your area is "not a rich area".

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-21-2018 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 08:17 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Unless there is a LOT of money in the account, I can't imagine there would be any tax consequences. So maybe I'm missing something on that. If there is several hundred dollars in the account, the interest shouldn't be more than a few dollars a year, because the interest on savings accounts is so low. I'm not sure how many years you've filed taxes, but I find it hard to believe there has been much interest earned on such an account.

Also, if your name is on the account, you are entitled to see the statement with the amount of money in the account. Sounds like you don't even know that information.

Having worked at a bank, I'm thinking there is more to the story.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
It sounds like it is something like a special needs trust, not a traditional savings account.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:55 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,690,365 times
At 27 I had my own house, job and bank account. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance