Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:20 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I wasn't "down on the OP".

I gave the OP a dose of reality.

And we need to know more about the OP s net income and those expenses to really be able to help more.

Or don't YOU, thatsright, pay YOUR bills either???

I was the first one to ask for better information to help him or her try to avoid bankruptcy altogether.

Yes, I pay my bills. But I’m not naive enough to think something couldn’t happen in my life that could stop that from happening. It wouldn’t automatically make me less of a person.

I also understand that pets can be like family. And that people can struggle with loss or depression. Things effect people differently. Sometimes when you’re going through hard times, you don’t give a **** about other things in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 AM

834 posts, read 773,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
First, YOUR POSTS seems "chided".

"Amazing insight"??
Well, your e going to get a dose of reality. That's your "Amazing insight". If you cant take it, dont ask.

1) a] STUDENT LOANS: CANNOT be discharged through bankruptcy. The govt back a student loans, they , like the IRS want their money back. b] student loans ARE paid over a longer period of time. If you are current, you have no problems. If not, ask for income-based repayment. C) mist people finance cars for more thAn thst amount, yes even on $9 /hr. $11K IS NOTHING. Ask a lawyer about his $250k student loans.

2) a bankruptcy court MAY allow credit, but usually for home or car to get to work, not much else. What are the balances on thise cards? What is the credit limit? What is your available credit?

3) no, I don't drive in nj, but I do in N.Y.. If you're racking up 4 figure fines, you need to drive better. Traffic laws are for everyone's benefit and to keep order. Follow thise laws and you'll have NO SURCHARGES. Again, this is a govt entity, and most likely will NOT be discharged through bankruptcy. If the SURCHARGES are REALLY registration fees for driving a car, say so. In that case everyone in nj pays them, even on $9/hr.

4) colections MIGHT BE THE ONLY THING DISCHARGED in bankruptcy.
But that would appear to be that you didnt pay a bill. What was it for?

Thus is NOT snide or anything, but reality:

You need to GROW UP. IT'S CALLED "ADULTING". being an adult means you pay whatever bills you rack up.
You need to take a second and or third job to pay off your bills.
We are not near bankruptcy, but my OH ( Other Half) works 3 jobs NOW, and I am disabled but work part time. I collect SSDI AND work part time. I get around with a cane. I have 25 chronic continuous medical issues. I have prostate cancer. I have degenerative disc disease in my spine, and I have stage 3 necrosis in my femur bone ( dead dying bone tissue)

Yet, I work! That's called "ADULTING". I hobbled to work on TWO canes all winter. Yet I work. I could sit home as I collect my SSDI., yet I WORK.

We work like that to : a pay bills. Pay a mortgage on a house . And to SAVE for RETIREMENT.

THAT, MY FRIEND, IS ADULTING.

Do grow up, do what you have to to pay those bills, be an adult. Get a second job, drive the laws, pay your bills.

In order for us to help you further, we need your net income, the payments you are making and balances you owe at what interest rates.

Oh, btw, we are at or just above minimum wage, too. Do don't think we are ", high and mighty".

Lastly, a pet, dead or list pet has NOTHING TO DO WITH not paying your bills, and yes I am and have been a 52 year owner of pets.

Best of luck to you.

So much this......bravo to you for offering real advice

Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Sounds like its time for “entrepreneurship”
Millennial code word meaning "I want to work from home in my pajamas 20 hours a week and make 6 figures"

Getting a college degree in a good subject is still the most sure thing out the IMO

Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Hello, I am in NJ and I am strongly considering Bankruptcy protection. Either Chapter 13 or 7.

A couple of questions:

1. I have two credit cards in good standing. Can I keep those?
2. Student loans, 11k+ that look like they will never be paid off. Can those be included in the BK?
3. Surcharges from driving in the 4-figure range. Those?
4. Collections, judgement result.. discharged?

I'm presently mostly working to pay rent and the surcharges.

I make $9 an hour.
Filing bankruptcy will not discharge the student loans, and may not be the best solution for your other debts either. The driving tickets might be eligible for a payment plan, and your other overdue bills can probably be settled with the creditors for 25-30 cents on the dollar. Please list your debts, amount owed, type of debt, and how far behind you are.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Student loans are nearly impossible to get discharged. At 9/hr you should qualify for income based repayment plans.
I suggest getting a 2nd job and start paying things down as much as you can.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Millennial code word meaning "I want to work from home in my pajamas 20 hours a week and make 6 figures"

Getting a college degree in a good subject is still the most sure thing out the IMO
I agree college is the best deal for some folks, providing they pick the right field of study. On the other, the demand for plumbers is pretty constant, their jobs will never be exported and the pay is good. But you will get dirty and you won’t get to sit at a keyboard.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I agree college is the best deal for some folks, providing they pick the right field of study. On the other, the demand for plumbers is pretty constant, their jobs will never be exported and the pay is good. But you will get dirty and you won’t get to sit at a keyboard.
Can they still wear their one-sie pajamas being a plumber?

Old 09-02-2018, 03:37 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
Okay... I live in NJ, I lived in North Jersey and am now in South Jersey. Here are a few things.

I'm not much older than you. Finish the college degree so you can make more than $9hr. In north jersey you should be able to find a job making at least $14hr, $9hr in north jersey is laughable.

I'm an entrepreneur having started a small online furniture company that dropships very high end furniture and averages me an extra $1,500 a month. I also work 50 hours a week for a publicly traded company, I go to auctions and estate sales on the weekends to find items to sell, and I'm closing on a rental property.. Why? Because anyone can make excuses, but if you really want something you'll figure out a way and find the time to make it happen. Is it easy? Nope.. Is it worth it? Yup

OP, I hate to sound like a jerk, but I think you need to get your act together. You kinda sound like a typical millennial who thinks they deserve more than what they've worked for. For every story you hear about an entrepreneur becoming successful and making millions by age 28 there are probably 900,000 people who attempted the same thing a failed miserably.

If all you ever make is $75,000 a year, and you marry someone who also makes $75,000 a year you'll have a very happy life, very easy to do with a real college degree.. so go back to school and stop thinking you're entitled, pay your debts and man up.

Sorry about your pets

Old 09-02-2018, 04:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post

You're forgetting the most important part..."I want to work from home in my pajamas 20 hours a week and make 6 figures doing something that there is little to no demand for".

Old 09-03-2018, 06:09 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
I will give you this bit of information to consider...

I know an amazingly smart guy. He was just dumb with his credit card during college years. His senior year of college he decided to declare bankruptcy. He got rid of all his credit card debt but he couldn't get student loans to finish his degree. So he ended up taking some BS job and moving back home. He couldn't get a loan for anything, he couldn't even get an apartment. His wages ended up being garnished to pay for the student loans, so then he decided why even work.. He's been unemployed and living at home now for about 8-9 years. He'd pickup odd jobs for cash, never did drugs or anything like that, he just completely lost all motivation.. He burnt through any 401k or savings he had from working since he was 15. Now in his mid-30s all he has is like $100k in student loan debts because they've been compounding with fees, a 9 year gap in his employment, and no prospects for the future. Imagine how different his life would be had he just sacked up and paid off the credit cards.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone, but it can be a slippery slope and lead to a very fast downward spiral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance