Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 08:22 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I have a friend who retired early because he lived like few others.

He is an engineer who married early, got divorced by age 30, paid her off and never had kids. After that he remained single. He lived simply and made about $100K per year. Instead of diversifying, in 2004 he put all his savings into Apple stock. In 2012, he switched to Amazon.

What he did was incredibly risky but he was correct. He had no wife to nag him. He has no heirs.

Now he does whatever he wants to do.
The amazing stories are the ones where the guy retires early with a nagging wife and kids on less than $100k a year, not the single, childless man with a stable six figure salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
Cut back on expenses, live frugally. If only the federal government and state governments could get "fired" up about this, this entire nation would be better off.

Anyway, I may nor may not ever achieve success with something like this, but I have to try. First thing is sell my money-pit of a house, dump the leased Cadillac, and find an apartment closer to where I work. The hour commute alone is sucking the life out of me.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:18 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
For me, the only problem is that I do not have a million in the bank. Other than that, the idea would work nicely.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:56 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The amazing stories are the ones where the guy retires early with a nagging wife and kids on less than $100k a year, not the single, childless man with a stable six figure salary.
No I think the amazing stories are anyone's who retired early. Having kids or a nagging wife is not a prerequisite for a good story.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
No I think the amazing stories are anyone's who retired early. Having kids or a nagging wife is not a prerequisite for a good story.
We have a disagreement. No big deal.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think anyone not having kids is already the makings of a great story. Certainly one that’s not full of diaper changing and screaming brats, at least

Old 09-10-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I think anyone not having kids is already the makings of a great story. Certainly one that’s not full of diaper changing and screaming brats, at least
But also one that's lacking in celebrations, graduations and lots of great moments in between (like watching your kid score the winning goal.. those are some of the best!). Those that don't choose to have kids are helping us reduce our population (that's a good thing!), but they tend to just repeat the negatives about the job. Changing diapers might only last 18 months or so (or less, apparently, if you're from certain Asian countries). Some toddlers get over the screaming stage pretty quickly too (also varies by culture.. so I've heard).

Old 09-10-2018, 08:03 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I have a friend who retired early because he lived like few others.

He is an engineer who married early, got divorced by age 30, paid her off and never had kids. After that he remained single. He lived simply and made about $100K per year. Instead of diversifying, in 2004 he put all his savings into Apple stock. In 2012, he switched to Amazon.

What he did was incredibly risky but he was correct. He had no wife to nag him. He has no heirs.

Now he does whatever he wants to do.
I have a family member who basically poured it all into Apple back in 2008. He's done very well with that.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:40 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The only people I've known who've really been able to retire before 40 are people who founded their own companies or those who have received generous stock options. You're not going to be able to get out in your 30s as an average corporate worker bee.
Max out your 401k for 20 years gets you to a million. So yeah, 30 is hard, but early 40s definitely do-able. (Not saying it's easy.)

Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Most people will never reach anywhere close to even a quarter of a million in retirement savings, based on recent articles.
This is 100% correct. Yet that won’t stop silly city data posters from asking if their $1 million nest egg or $80K annual pension is enough to survive. Because healthcare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance