U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:51 AM

25,960 posts, read 28,355,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure. New grads inside Boston's I-495 belt start at $80K if they're not from a strong school. That's what a new grad Computer Science grad with a 3.0 from a UMass-Lowell or UMass-Boston would make. They're doing room mates for a year or two. An H-1B contractor makes similar money from Tata/Infosys.

Anybody productive is making a heck of a lot more than that after 5 years.

In theory, you could continue that college-style housing, use public transportation, live frugally, and pile up a pretty big pile of money after a decade. Many years ago at my first job out of school, I had a co-worker who did that. Tiny studio apartment furnished like a college kid. Never used the heat. One light bulb. Brown bagged food at work always.
I wonder, do you think people in New England have a more frugal ethic than people in other parts of the country? I'm starting to think that may be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 PM

13,713 posts, read 7,271,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I wonder, do you think people in New England have a more frugal ethic than people in other parts of the country? I'm starting to think that may be true.

It depends on how you count it. Massachusetts ranks dead last when you're counting people with very low savings. Something like 60% have $1,000 or less in savings. On the flip side, Massachusetts is in the top-5 along with Connecticut for IRA/401(k) savings. Huge income and wealth stratification. The haves are accumulating wealth. Most of the people aren't. The top-20% in metro Boston and Fairfield County CT are doing really well. No different from the other high COL places.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:48 PM

1,033 posts, read 502,919 times
Quote:
Yes, I think that’s true. I’m a native New Englander and kind of stick out like a sore thumb here in the Bay Area. Most people here want to look richer than they are, while I prefer the opposite. Probably not so true in the Boston metro, where there are so many transplants, but in the more rural areas it’s much harder to detect the many millionaires next door.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 PM

11,809 posts, read 21,373,538 times
Quote:
You might be on to something. I hadn't really thought about it but I too am from the NE and am a frugal fanatic. I enjoy seeing how little I can get by on, to me it's a game. My mother was like that as well.

People from the upper Midwest are of similar mind as well. MN, WI, etc.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 PM

1,033 posts, read 502,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You might be on to something. I hadn't really thought about it but I too am from the NE and am a frugal fanatic. I enjoy seeing how little I can get by on, to me it's a game. My mother was like that as well.

To me, less is more - more freedom. I don’t need my possessions owning me, and I’d prefer that people not know I have a sizable net worth. I think it’s a very common New England trait.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

Interesting perspectives.

I tend to think people from cold weather climates are just hardier, on average, in most aspects of life--and that includes deferred gratification and saving money.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Yes, I think thatís true. Iím a native New Englander and kind of stick out like a sore thumb here in the Bay Area. Most people here want to look richer than they are, while I prefer the opposite. Probably not so true in the Boston metro, where there are so many transplants, but in the more rural areas itís much harder to detect the many millionaires next door.
The Bay Area is kind of tricky. Some of the people really have it, I think. But of course, many don't. Engineers in Silicon Valley tend to be better than average savers. Other professions, probably not so much.

I generally feel like a frugal weirdo, partly because my income is lowish and partly because I'm frugal. There isn't much of a 40 hour per week, middle skill level job, middle class any more (it's either professional or low paying), and I'm one of the relative few people left who fit that demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or