Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

In my calculations I'm assuming average equity returns around 5.5% to 5.85% and fixed income returns of 3% to 3.75%.

If it's better than that then score!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 09:59 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
In my calculations I'm assuming average equity returns around 5.5% to 5.85% and fixed income returns of 3% to 3.75%.

If it's better than that then score!
Is that before inflation or after? 3-3.75% returns after inflation on fixed income would be wonderful in today’s environment.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:28 AM

After inflation.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:57 AM

493 posts, read 442,531 times
The truth of the matter is: They can't afford it so they are forced to ditch home ownership. Now, they have to make up some excuses why it's a great idea so they can sleep better at night. It's human nature; protective mechanism. They want to feel good about their decisions.

Just like my sister-in-law, she can't afford a house, so she settled for a condo. Her reason is: "I don't need a yard, I don't do yard work." Well, truth is: once you have enough $$$, you will find reason to fall in love with a house. Everybody's the same.

"I don't have it, so I'd say I don't need it to make myself feel better. Once I have enough to buy it, all of a sudden, well it's not a bad idea afterall to try something new."

All ****ing excuses.

Trust me, if housing price is affordable, this couple will buy it in a heartbeat. Just like the rest of them.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The truth of the matter is: They can't afford it so they are forced to ditch home ownership.
No one is forced to do anything.

It's a choice.

Life is about making choices and compromises. Only people like Zuckerberg, Gates, Bezos and others who have more $$$ than they will ever need can do what they want regardless of how much it costs them.

Everyone else makes financial choices and compromises along the way because they don't have all the money they or several generations could ever need. Buy/Don't Buy, Sell/Don't Sell, Wait/Don't Wait

Old 10-06-2018, 04:08 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBunker View Post
It's ironic everyone believes retirement should be automatic. Nowhere in the Bible does it say retirement is automatic or that you need to be retired in order to be happy.

My goal is whatever p/t work I do in retirement, it is what makes me happy. Then I won't know it's work yet will be keeping my mind and body, fit.

Too many people retire, eat like pigs, then die quickly. Either due to unhappiness or they aren't healthy.
Actually people eat like pigs their whole lives whether retired or not. But I get your point.

But as has already been mentioned, most of the people who retire / become financially independent in their 30s are not the type to sit around all day and do nothing. I've heard what most of them do described as "Entrepreneurship with a safety net". They tend to do project oriented work they're passionate about which may or may not make money.

The point is, they have a lot more flexibility in their lives than people who have to work 8-5 jobs--and that's something everyone can strive for, whether they're working 8-5 jobs or not.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
This couple are not retired. They are making money off people thinking they can do the same.

I love their webpage about Stop Working. Start Living.

Helps entice 'potential' business by believing they can do the same. NOT.
You cherry pick your evidence to support your pre-existing point of view. They describe the process of how they got $1M in their "How we got here" series. But, of course, you didn't read that. Or you'll call them liars. Because it conflicts with your pre-existing point of view about them.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Most young people won't make nearly enough to save $1M by their early 30's. Most people in general won't, whether they buy a house or not.

It's a fun but unique story, that's why they have a blog and few others do.
Most people won't partly because they don't have the income. But also in large part because even if they do, they won't question the standard way of doing things.

To be financially independent, you have to think the standard way of doing things sucks. Unfortunately, most people seem to think the standard way is the only way.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:27 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You cherry pick your evidence to support your pre-existing point of view. They describe the process of how they got $1M in their "How we got here" series. But, of course, you didn't read that. Or you'll call them liars. Because it conflicts with your pre-existing point of view about them.
Nah, I already mentioned in another post I did in 20. Two childless, carless, engineers who make more than the average couple sock and invest their money quit their guaranteed jobs so they can make money starting blogs, charging lectures, and their potential book deal. Not to mention some paid appearances on TV.

We all cherry pick which responses irritate us. Which ones that we want to rebuttal with. I particularly like Post 194 by Hawaiishrimp. Any response to 194?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post
The truth of the matter is: They can't afford it so they are forced to ditch home ownership. Now, they have to make up some excuses why it's a great idea so they can sleep better at night. It's human nature; protective mechanism. They want to feel good about their decisions.

Just like my sister-in-law, she can't afford a house, so she settled for a condo. Her reason is: "I don't need a yard, I don't do yard work." Well, truth is: once you have enough $$$, you will find reason to fall in love with a house. Everybody's the same.

"I don't have it, so I'd say I don't need it to make myself feel better. Once I have enough to buy it, all of a sudden, well it's not a bad idea afterall to try something new."

All ****ing excuses.

Trust me, if housing price is affordable, this couple will buy it in a heartbeat. Just like the rest of them.
I don’t have a yard because I didn’t want one but I do have a house, what say you? Is it just an excuse? Am I poor? Or did I really not want a yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance