Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times

Advertisements

The value of the dollar is much less than in the past and the (questionable) strategy of our FED is to target making it worth 2% less every year.

It is very hard to use the dollar as a mark over a long term. I retired early 14 years ago with less than $2M and have no regret.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Let's say you have a modest paid for house somewhere in east TN. It's a low property tax state, so the fixed costs won't eat you alive. Modest cost of living all around.

A frugal couple with paid for homes and cars could easily make it on $3k/net month here. You could sustain that on a little over a million.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Hahaha nice, yeah that’s very true! I know this may not be realistic for many people but I wouldn’t personally be comfortable if I was drawing down my principal, rather than living off the income from investments. That way even if I’m spending every dollar that comes in, I’m still getting richer on paper as my investments increase in value over the years. It just feels more secure than the depression of watching your net worth continue to decrease and then, what, rooting against a long life because “dang only have enough left for 12 years, well hope I die before then!” Lol
There is no point in working until the day you die. I have no close family so it's no problem for me if I leave nothing to inherit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've thought a lot about the FIRE movement...And here's what I think. I think a lot of the bloggers are the exception, and that for many, its about the FI as opposed to RE. Meaning, getting that nest egg healthy and built up super early, to allow you the independence to say, "I Quit" and find something more to your liking at your leisure. We see the RE part and think of white shoes, Florida Condo, Golf four days a week.

And to be honest, I know a lot of Boomers or GenXers that aren't so different; they had a high power, high stress, high earning career, and gave it up after awhile with a nice nest egg established to do something to "leave work at work." One is a History teacher. Another is a Financial Advisor. A third is a Pharma Rep; he had been an attorney for years and saw two classmates have heart attacks in their forties.
That's me. I just realized I have enough left to last my best case scenario of the maximum age I expect to achieve.

If you have enough to last until you're 100, why work on anything that isn't worth it for the fun alone?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another financial 'expert' clueless as to reality and what your normal folk are up against financially.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo
Her reality is that people have a home >1mil to maintain, pay 3k a month in property taxes on etc. etc. plus the vacation home and so on and so forth.

Yeah, extremely out of touch.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 AM

Normal people are never FI.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've thought a lot about the FIRE movement...And here's what I think. I think a lot of the bloggers are the exception, and that for many, its about the FI as opposed to RE. Meaning, getting that nest egg healthy and built up super early, to allow you the independence to say, "I Quit" and find something more to your liking at your leisure. We see the RE part and think of white shoes, Florida Condo, Golf four days a week.

And to be honest, I know a lot of Boomers or GenXers that aren't so different; they had a high power, high stress, high earning career, and gave it up after awhile with a nice nest egg established to do something to "leave work at work." One is a History teacher. Another is a Financial Advisor. A third is a Pharma Rep; he had been an attorney for years and saw two classmates have heart attacks in their forties.
I agree a lot of the bloggers are the exception. Their point is a lot more people could join them if it actually occurred to them that something else is possible. I get it. Not EVERYONE can do it. But a lot more people could, especially those on the top 1/2 of the income ladder. Maybe not in their 30s, but mid 40s? or even 50? 50 isn't super early for the FI crowd, but it's a lot earlier than most people achieve. And as I and others have been saying, a lot of people are burned out or booted out of corporate employment in their 50s anyway.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 PM

A good YouTuber can make a lot of money too.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:34 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Stop the insanity, most of America won't earn 5mm in their whole working career!

$5,000,000 over a 50 yr career would be 100K a year starting at age 15 and working until 65!
Wow, I am pretty sure you will never get to $5m. Maybe google the word 'compound'.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Wow, I am pretty sure you will never get to $5m. Maybe google the word 'compound'.
Also Google inflation and apply that to your funds and to your COL. At least compounding will help that, if your interest rate surpasses inflation...

The best idea is to become a vampire and stay out of the sunlight. Then wait a couple hundred years for your investing to make you wealthy. Watch out for girls named Buffy.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
A good YouTuber can make a lot of money too.
To say the least, yes. One of the actresses in my feature film was the girlfriend of one of my stars and he had been on Glee, he’s been in a Super Bowl commercial, and numerous other appearances. He asked me as a favor if I could find a small role for his girlfriend. I gave her two lines in a bar scene early in the film, just to be nice. She hadn’t done much, been a “Scream queen” I guess and a few small appearances. Fast forward 8 years and she is one of the biggest stars on YouTube with Variety reporting a $10 million income for one year alone! Turns out she was doing me a favor by being in my movie lol who would have known?! So yes some serious money on YouTube for the few who make it big.

As for not living past 100, umm well depends how old you are. Are you 80? Then maybe not. But if you’re retiring at 35 or 40, I strongly caution against that. There are numerous very well funded labs including Google’s Calico working on anti-aging research. The human body is a machine and like any machine it can be fixed and repaired once our knowledge is strong enough. I think anyone who is under 50 and in great health has a strong chance to live to see a world where aging is a disease of third world countries and the past, but no longer a problem for the first world. Technology has made rapid progress in many regards and it’s a problem that once there are sufficient reasons for optimism, funding will pour into the field like nothing else in human history because aging kills more people than every other disease put together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance