Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:34 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times

Advertisements

When a business makes a financial error is made in my favor, I call and address it once. If the company fails to follow through, that's on them. For example, last month my mother's nursing home credited her twice for a payment--an error of over $13,000. I called to point it out and they didn't see too interested. Said they'd look into it and call me back. They haven't. We'll see what next month's bill brings. I will not call them again about this.

My dilemma is when this happens with a small/single proprietary business. I have over $300 from two uncashed checks from my massage person. In the past I have also had several uncashed checks from my daughter's athletic trainer. This has happened before and I have replaced the checks when I noticed they hadn't been cashed. How far does my obligation go? Part of me thinks it's not my job to make sure they're cashing my checks--it's not my business, but then I think replacing them is the right thing to do. Neither business owner has contacted me about missing payments. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 04:01 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
What are these "checks" you write of?

Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
You need to keep that money in the bank account, in case the checks are presented.

If your mother's nursing home is missing a payment of $13K, they'll discover that and you owe it, unless maybe it's years down the road.

I had a situation where my landlord wasn't cashing rent checks for months. Turns out she was holding on to them while she went through bankruptcy and planned to cash them after that was settled.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:42 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Generally a check is considered good for one year from the date it was written.

If its over a year, your obligation may end.

Ask your bank or credit union. My credit unions policy is to no cash checks more than a year from the date in tge check, whether its a check ive written or one ive receivedbut failed to cash in a timely manner. I know ive had it happen both ways. I forgot and misplaced a small check to me. They failed to cash it for me more than a year later. I also have written checks, and after a yesr tyey were not cashed. So i asked ny credit union, and after a year the checks were no longer considered good, so i added it back into my balance, but had to carry them as an uncashed check in my balance for a year snd a day.

If they havent cashed it in a year, and the bank refuses it, i think your obligation ends. THEY failed to negotiate the valid instrument in a timely fashion. They must be doing well enough, even as a small business, if they fail to cash your check. Most Most want to cash right away. The problem is in proving you paid it. You have no record you paid it unless you get a PAID receipt from them and save it.

If it makes you feel better, you can write " no longer valid after 1 year from date." In the memo of the checks you write. Thats no guarentee, but it gives you a leg to stand on if they come back and say you owe them.

Best to you....

Old 10-13-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What are these "checks" you write of?
Yeah, yeah, you sound like my brothers.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You need to keep that money in the bank account, in case the checks are presented.

If your mother's nursing home is missing a payment of $13K, they'll discover that and you owe it, unless maybe it's years down the road.

I had a situation where my landlord wasn't cashing rent checks for months. Turns out she was holding on to them while she went through bankruptcy and planned to cash them after that was settled.
Yes, I figure that's a large enough amount that they'll find it eventually. I hate when businesses aren't responsive--don't make me chase you to give you money!

Old 10-13-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
If they havent cashed it in a year, and the bank refuses it, i think your obligation ends. THEY failed to negotiate the valid instrument in a timely fashion. They must be doing well enough, even as a small business, if they fail to cash your check. Most Most want to cash right away.
I agree. When I receive a check, I run to deposit it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:16 AM

130,218 posts, read 12,093,129 times
If the therapist has not yet cashed the check, that is their business. I would still list it in my check book, in case it gets deposited later on. But I would not worry about it, or remind them. You are not their book keeper.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
I don't write checks. I pay in cash for services rendered. This tends to endear me to people who run service businesses and are likely underreporting their income.

Ask for the check back and give them cash instead. Problem solved.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Generally a check is considered good for one year from the date it was written.
Sounds about right, but don't count on your bank not cashing an out of date check.

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, you can write " no longer valid after 1 year from date." In the memo of the checks you write. Thats no guarentee, but it gives you a leg to stand on if they come back and say you owe them.
You can't change the law by things you write on checks.

Keep a check register. Any uncashed checks are a PITA but just carry them indefinitely. If you're ever asked for the money, tell the recipient if they agree to pay for your stop payment order you'll issue a replacement check.

Note that a stop payment order is generally good for only one year (IIRC). I think that meshes with a check being good for only one year.

For an interesting, everybody should read about recalling a check. Google it. I was astonished when I read about this process. — Somebody sent me a check (my landlord business) and their check was not made out to me but they deposited it into my account. I told them I wouldn't refund it (due to the recall process) and told them to go ahead and recall it. They did and it solved everybody's problem: I was not responsible for the process, and they got their money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance