U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 PM

6,808 posts, read 2,779,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Pretty much. Ever since I first went to Japan in 2015 and experienced a culture where it's rude to tip, I've been having a hard time justifying going out to sit down restaurants. At 松屋 I can get curry for around 330-380 yen ($3-3.5) no tax (VAT already included) no tip (rude to tip, they will give you your money back).
Interesting. Do you know why it's considered rude to tip there?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM

268 posts, read 340,476 times
We just came back from Spain & Portugal for 2.5 weeks and guess what, it is not Kosher to tip anymore than under 1 Euro (change essentially) unless you are somewhere very fancy and or the service is just absolutely stellar. *Spoiler Alert, 99% of the time service in the EU is not".

Perhaps there may be perceptions at very touristy area restaurants where the expectation is to receive ~18-20% from Americans visiting. Other than that, nope no expectation of a tip at all.

This culture does indeed make me re-think our culture here in the states where dish serving size is very large, service is hit or miss and most restaurants are hustle you in, and hustle you out.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:26 PM

127 posts, read 54,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income, justified in reducing the level of tipping?

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels ó at least where I live.

I used to automatically tip 20%, but now with restaurant prices where they are, I just canít afford it. Iím lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
I don't think the final 20% is what is hurting you. It's the first 80% that you can't afford.....

Old 10-16-2018, 01:38 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,026,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
I don't think the final 20% is what is hurting you. It's the first 80% that you can't afford.....

Agreed.

Find somewhere else to eat.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM

8,176 posts, read 6,070,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No.
Eat out less.
Eat at less expensive places.

Your financial condition should not dictate the percentage amount of a tip.
I agree with the underlined...

But OP also mentioned that servers in his town are now earning $11/hour. One of the reasons that tipping has become so customary is that Nationally, servers are only required to be paid $2.13/hour. So there's that to be considered as well.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM

2,573 posts, read 2,551,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Pretty much. Ever since I first went to Japan in 2015 and experienced a culture where it's rude to tip, I've been having a hard time justifying going out to sit down restaurants. At 松屋 I can get curry for around 330-380 yen ($3-3.5) no tax (VAT already included) no tip (rude to tip, they will give you your money back). I go to some random Japanese place in America and pay around $7-10 for the same thing and I have to pay tax and tip on top of that. Min wage is 600-900 yen ($5.5-8.5) in Japan which is more than base waiter hourly ($2.13 though some places like NYC have it higher) in America plus the food is cheaper (plus COL is cheaper in Japan). What?!

Pretty much the same in Iceland. We knew before going that tipping wasn't expected, and it wasn't.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,521,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I tip 15-25% depending on the service. If lousy service I tip $1 or nothing. I do tip my hairdresser as well.
Never tip nothing.

I was told when I was working a restaurant in high school (my parents felt everyone should work one so they would know what being a server was like) that 2 pennies was you "giving your server your $0.02" ( on their bad service.)

I've only done it a couple times, but $0 can be written off as a "bad tipper" vs sending a message.I

and it's true that. A good server in a good place can make more than a professional. I've known a couple girls (helps to be an attractive woman as long as the wife isn't paying.) Who kept waitressing after getting their degree as they made more money with a more flexible\easier schedule.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 AM

2,121 posts, read 1,372,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Interesting. Do you know why it's considered rude to tip there?
Not sure, I'd have to read about the history of it. It probably has something to do with the cultural regard of the customer being superior. Japanese has a sort of tiers to their language, and when you're a customer at a restaurant, the waiters use a very formal conjugation (shoushou machimashou instead of chotto matte kudasai). That's what I can tell at least.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:49 AM

5,619 posts, read 8,544,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I’m lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
10% may be more reasonable as a tip now that restaurant prices are skyrocketing due to the whole $15 minimum wage fight. If minimum wage goes to $15 then I think it's reasonable not to include a tip similar to how it is in Europe where wages compensate for it adequately. I for sure will NOT tip anything, exactly zero, if minimum wage goes to $15.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM

2,418 posts, read 5,027,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I agree with the underlined...

But OP also mentioned that servers in his town are now earning $11/hour. One of the reasons that tipping has become so customary is that Nationally, servers are only required to be paid $2.13/hour. So there's that to be considered as well.
It seems like everyone has ignored this part, which is really what the question is about. If we have always tipped because their wages are so low, then logic dictates tip percentage should go down as the wage that we have been compensating for goes up. While it may not have been a question the OP pondered until their own income went down, it doesn't make someone a cheapskate to think about it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance