U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 15 days ago)

9,609 posts, read 3,682,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I
If you cannot afford to tip 15%, you cannot afford to eat at that restaurant.
Agree. This is why I stopped dining out with a friend who would go to nice Italian restaurant and only tip one dollar, no matter what the cost of her food was. She said she couldn't afford to tip more, but it was always her idea to go to a nicer restaurant.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:33 PM

8,320 posts, read 6,183,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i feel like people use the extreme cases and it very much takes away from your point. we arent comparing burger joints to jean georges. its pretty easy to see the difference there.
I honestly don't think it makes any difference. Taking your example of the extremes, I find that generally speaking, the service of the waitstaff, as well as the quality of the experience and time I spend in the place fall have a fairly linear relationship.

FWIW, A close friend worked at three different restaurants, a high end steak and seafood joint, a breakfast diner, and a common middle-market chain dining Restaurant (like Chili's but more regional.)

She said she did just as well at the breakfast diner serving $7.50 Pancake plates and coffee as she did at the nice restaurant. The difference was that the tables would turn four times in the course of a morning for every one evening table in her section.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM

24,157 posts, read 30,285,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I honestly don't think it makes any difference. Taking your example of the extremes, I find that generally speaking, the service of the waitstaff, as well as the quality of the experience and time I spend in the place fall have a fairly linear relationship.

FWIW, A close friend worked at three different restaurants, a high end steak and seafood joint, a breakfast diner, and a common middle-market chain dining Restaurant (like Chili's but more regional.)

She said she did just as well at the breakfast diner serving $7.50 Pancake plates and coffee as she did at the nice restaurant. The difference was that the tables would turn four times in the course of a morning for every one evening table in her section.
they have a linear relationship and yet you are saying that the same exact person worked in the three different tiers of restaurants. am i interpreting this incorrectly?

Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 PM

762 posts, read 810,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Also, I'm not sure why living on social security "fixed" income means someone can't tip. How is that different from a young, poor person who gets no income from any source? Lots of people have financial struggles. They choose to either dine out and pay, or eat at home.
When I retire, I plan on eating out once in a while. If I can't afford 20% tip, I will give what I can if the service is good.

I guess Priscilla would like to see a sign "No shirt, no shoes, no poor or retired people, NO SERVICE.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:28 PM

24,157 posts, read 30,285,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
When I retire, I plan on eating out once in a while. If I can't afford 20% tip, I will give what I can if the service is good.

I guess Priscilla would like to see a sign "No shirt, no shoes, no poor or retired people, NO SERVICE.
well, then at least give a nice thank you and a hearty handshake to the server that is giving you a bit of forced charity so you can enjoy a nice dinner at a restaurant.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 PM

8,320 posts, read 6,183,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they have a linear relationship and yet you are saying that the same exact person worked in the three different tiers of restaurants. am i interpreting this incorrectly?
Two in HS, one in College and a year or so afterwards.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 PM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why does changing the oil on a high end car cost more , compared to way cheaper cars that use the same type of oil ?

why do doormen in expensive buildings get bigger tips ?

why is what you give to the church supposedly a percentage of income and not a flat amount across the board ? do you get faster delivery on your prayers if you earn more ?

in temples , we all pay the same price for membership or for seats during the high holidays ..
Our tithing system comes from the old testament.

Every tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the trees, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord. 31 If a man wishes to redeem some of his tithe, he shall add a fifth to it. 32 And every tithe of herds and flocks, every tenth animal of all that pass under the herdsman's staff, shall be holy to the Lord. 33 One shall not differentiate between good or bad, neither shall he make a substitute for it; and if he does substitute for it, then both it and the substitute shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.”

In it, we believe it says that the first tenth of anything should be returned to God, as all things are gifts from God in the first place.

But no it does not get you faster delivery on your prayers at all and I've never heard any Pastor say if you don't tithe you won't get your prayers answered.

we don't have any "membership" at all at my church.

Now as far as cars go, I know my car recommends using a s ynthetic brand so the 19.99 oil change which uses conventional oil won't work for me. the trade off is that I don't have to change my oil the conventional 3000 miles as synthetic blends go longer.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,057,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
How about the restaurant staff? Are they working 1/2 as much for you? No.

If you won’t tip a normal amount, then eat at home.
I wonder how the owners of restaurants would feel about this. Would they rather have the 0-10% tippers stay home or come in as much as they’d like?

Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 AM

280 posts, read 121,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Tipping is part of the cost of going to a restaurant. I think if you need to cut costs, you choose a lower priced meal or get water instead of a drink or go somewhere less expensive. My girls were servers and after hearing their stories, I always leave at least 25%. They are very generous tippers themselves.

If I stop at a Waffle House or other inexpensive place, I always leave at least $5, even if the bill is $7-8. And I really don't believe in tipping lower based on performance. If it's that bad, that's when I talk to the manager or just don't go back.
i agree with most of your post including the 5 dollars on an inexpensive meal but why wouldn't you tip based on performance as well?

Old 10-19-2018, 01:46 AM

71,737 posts, read 71,853,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I wonder how the owners of restaurants would feel about this. Would they rather have the 0-10% tippers stay home or come in as much as they’d like?
no different than any business owner who profits at the staff's expense. do you know how many restaurants have built in "gratutities" as they used to call them and gave little or nothing to the staff? enough that my sons law firm is immersed in cases for years now trying to defend employers . so owners don't care about "tips " if they aren't getting them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance