U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 10:16 PM

9,380 posts, read 5,298,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
As has been discussed in this thread, many cities and states have RAISED the tipped workers minimum wage pay minimum.

Fir instance in NY most tipped workers earn $7.50. While the e regular minimum wage is $10.40.

Not a significant reduction in their wages to be paid a whole 20% per tab.

Depends on the area and or state.

Other states, true are still at federal. But even then, the rest of the regular federal minimum is $7.25.
Then perhaps a larger tip would be necessary.

And, the only tipped employees i know who went home with sub-par wages were terrible servers and didn't last long.

Most earn quite well. Especialy if there is NO host, NO busboy NO bartender to tip out of their tips. Of course they do those jobs themselves, then (except alcohol, it doesnt exist in those places).

Best to servers of the USA....

Um.... If you read I said federal. AND even at 7.50 part of the tips are still part of their wage not in addition

Old 10-19-2018, 10:48 PM

4,417 posts, read 2,574,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Um.... If you read I said federal. AND even at 7.50 part of the tips are still part of their wage not in addition
YES "we'all" know what the federal tipped worker munimum IS.

You seem to forget some of us live in an entirely different world regarding tipped workers and their pay. It matters not to us what the federal is. It matters what we pay where we are.

Depending on location and industry, some NY tipped workers also earn $10.50/hr., thats above the rest of NY at $7.50/hr fir wait people.

There is no concern that tips arent meant to be part of their wages at all. We'all also know that.

Point being, a tipped worker who earns $20 in tips in an hour on top their $7.50 then makes $27.50/hr. Do you REALIY think that waiting tables should pay as much as a lower paid engineer, an HVAC repair man, plumber or an LPN or RN??? Thats what those workers make here, and they all require education. Waiting tables does not .

Do you think the cook who makes the meal, often from scratch each meal, each time for $11/hr should get less than half of the one who just delivers the food?

Many on here are fond of saying "anyone can flip burgers" or "anyone can stock shelves" or "anybody can play cashier"...well waitperson is and has been in the same category.

Food for your thought.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:02 AM

775 posts, read 202,974 times
Quote:

You seem to forget some of us live in an entirely different world regarding tipped workers and their pay. It matters not to us what the federal is. It matters what we pay where we are.

Depending on location and industry, some NY tipped workers also earn $10.50/hr., thats above the rest of NY at $7.50/hr fir wait people.

There is no concern that tips arent meant to be part of their wages at all. We'all also know that.

Point being, a tipped worker who earns $20 in tips in an hour on top their $7.50 then makes $27.50/hr. Do you REALIY think that waiting tables should pay as much as a lower paid engineer, an HVAC repair man, plumber or an LPN or RN??? Thats what those workers make here, and they all require education. Waiting tables does not .

Do you think the cook who makes the meal, often from scratch each meal, each time for $11/hr should get less than half of the one who just delivers the food?

Many on here are fond of saying "anyone can flip burgers" or "anyone can stock shelves" or "anybody can play cashier"...well waitperson is and has been in the same category.

Food for your thought.

Wait staff especially in high end restaurants are in a customer facing, feel good experience with mostly affluent clientele, some with business accounts. These factors weigh on tipping vs. similarly skilled positons. This situation is more analogous to a golf caddie where tipping for one round of golf often exceeds $100 than someone who is stacking shelves or doing home repair.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Food for your thought.

What some one should be paid or should not be paid is based on market value. Again, tipping is part of their wages. If a wait staff earns more than you then maybe you should either improve your position or become a waiter.

So yes... A waiter at a high end restaurant offering high end service should absolutely earn more than a low end engineer or similar if the market is willing to pay for it.

You sound entitled... Stop looking down on someone just because you don't respect their job or consider their job insignificant.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:49 AM

70,875 posts, read 71,228,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Wait staff especially in high end restaurants are in a customer facing, feel good experience with mostly affluent clientele, some with business accounts. These factors weigh on tipping vs. similarly skilled positons. This situation is more analogous to a golf caddie where tipping for one round of golf often exceeds $100 than someone who is stacking shelves or doing home repair.
when we went to the four seasons restaurant in manhattan the waiters were very attentive . they pay attention to detail . the waiters actually notice if someone is lefty . they set their silverware up opposite each time . that has never happened at lower end restaurants to me and i am lefty my entire life .

Old 10-20-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when we went to the four seasons restaurant in manhattan the waiters were very attentive . they pay attention to detail . the waiters actually notice if someone is lefty . they set their silverware up opposite each time . that has never happened at lower end restaurants to me and i am lefty my entire life .
I always know what level to expect by looking at the wait staff. If they are high school kids (nothing wrong with that) versus adults. An establishment that employs well trained adult wait staff always has a much more enjoyable experience...

Once in a while a young server at a regular run of the mill restaurant surprises me with their attentiveness... I'll tip very large. I walk away hoping that I have in some small way help fostered that great attitude and dedication (even though the job itself is often not respected) and it will be carried on.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:04 PM

36,960 posts, read 45,395,424 times
I do not agree with OP justifying his cheapness because he’s on a fixed income. If you can’t afford a 15% tip, then stay home, or dine at cheaper restaurants.

What does annoy me about tipping in high end restaurants is that the servers don’t do anything more than the waitress at the Waffle House, yet they make $40. on a table, and she makes $3.00. Even if the Waffle House table turns over x4 in 2 hours, she has only made $12.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:04 PM

28,400 posts, read 61,782,091 times
Quote:
Do you REALLY think that waiting tables should pay as much as a lower paid engineer,
an HVAC repair man, plumber or an LPN or RN???

Thats what those workers make here, and they all require education. Waiting tables does not.
Sounds like you don't care for the pay of engineers or teachers to suit you.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not agree with OP justifying his cheapness because he’s on a fixed income. If you can’t afford a 15% tip, then stay home, or dine at cheaper restaurants.

What does annoy me about tipping in high end restaurants is that the servers don’t do anything more than the waitress at the Waffle House, yet they make $40. on a table, and she makes $3.00. Even if the Waffle House table turns over x4 in 2 hours, she has only made $12.
I find the service at high end restaurants quite different than at a regular run of th emill eatery. For one, servers at high end generally have less tables assigned to wait on which frees them to assure a great deal of attention to detail and responsiveness.

There is no comparison.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:02 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,522,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I find the service at high end restaurants quite different than at a regular run of th emill eatery. For one, servers at high end generally have less tables assigned to wait on which frees them to assure a great deal of attention to detail and responsiveness.

There is no comparison.
Bring me my food and keep my drink full.

What's the difference?
(And yea, I've been to plenty of "high end" restaurants in my former life.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance