Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 10:52 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

All you need to know

The Dos And Don’ts Of Tipping Like A Decent Human

Old 10-27-2018, 01:42 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
then for you the experience is wasted but I like a bit more than just bring me my food. I like to chat about what dishes are being served. If I make changes I want the waitstaff to ensure they are carried out and even bring a surprise.

for example, I was just at a Italian restaurant, Saturday, a bit higher than your normal run of the mill chain restaurant. Waiter brought out samples of 3 different wines for us to sample (without being asked). waiter took the time to tell us about the varied "specials", chef sent out a small tasting plate of some type of spinach entree for the table to try.

That's a big difference than some one delivery your food and then bringing the check.

Yes we tipped a bit over 20%. It was a great "experience"

now as you said, you like to be left alone to read. so why go to a restaurant that give exemplary service. Just go to your local diner (which many have great chefs/cooks) and read?
I don't go to restaurants for the service.
I go for the FOOD!

Thats like going to a grocery store for the parking!

Cousin of mine is big into wine. Napa often etc.
I've tagged along to my share of tastings etc.

Funny thing is if you read up on the subject not even the "experts" can tell in blind taste tastes.
Doesn't matter, I don't drink and drive and I never drink before eating.
Ruins the taste buds.

Valueless to me.

I however disagree (unless you live somewhere like Southern La where I am originally from) that (any) "local diner" may have great chefs...
(We Cajuns take our food SERIOUSLY) ,

Man I could really go for some Philly cheese steak egg rolls from Sulivans right about now....

"Specials" ARE something you can be told about at any diner as I've already covered.

AGAIN: I go where I go for the food.
Whether it's a $2 Mexican food truck or a $200 a plate reasturant.
And THAT'S the experence.

If you want to pay your waiter to sit there and talk to you about food... Meh I'm not missing any "experence"
I AM amused however that your acting like waiters actually getting your order is "high level service".... That's a MINIMUM.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:54 AM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I tried to post something similar to this and then decided not to, but you're absolutely right. To take it a bit further, those working in tipped positions don't really want social justice warriors riding to their rescue. Every one of them I've ever known has said they wouldn't work in a place that offered a higher wage instead of tips.

Here's an interesting article about several restaurants that tried a no-tipping policy and quickly reverted to the cultural norm:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-to-no-tipping
as i posted above their is a big difference in being compensated by tips vs wages . wages have to have fica and medicare taken out , tips don't .

Old 10-27-2018, 10:25 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think Garbage men actually do alright income wise. And the guy that owns a fleet of garbage trucks probably lives better and has a higher net worth than most ambulance-chasers.
Yes, garbage men make good money. $88K after five years in NYC. 90,000 people apply each year for 500 openings.

Sanitation gold: NYC garbage collection jobs in huge demand | Al Jazeera America

I'm sure it's less in some other places, but so is housing and the overall cost of living.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:31 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
jobs are priced by the markets . those jobs that we can not do for ourselves or don't want to do for ourselves pay more .

the more that can do something the less value it has .

in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king . if most of us had a disease and could not move our arms those who could pour coffee would make as much as doctors .

our grade school educated septic guy we had in the poconos built a multi million dollar business doing things others can't or won't .

i built my 40 year career around morphing where others weren't .

this is why some jobs are worth more than other jobs . tipping is a way of taking jobs we value little and appealing to the customer to boost the pay more than the market values them .
Yup. My ex-husband was putting new windows into the very large house of a man in one of the more affluent NJ suburbs of NYC. Triple garage, snow-melt system under the driveway, the works.

When the homeowner came home from work, he was interested in what my ex was doing and asked him questions about the work. My ex noticed that the guy was dressed just like him when he came home from work--flannel shirt, jeans, work boots, but his client was living like a king, so he asked him what he did.

He killed rats. He had contracts with warehouses and shipping terminals down on the waterfront to take care of their ever-present rat problem. Kill them, remove them, dispose of the remains. Not pretty, but it had made him rich.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:38 AM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
my son's father inlaw is a builder . last time we were at their house my sons father inlaw said to me i want to take you to see one of the biggest homes i have ever built .

so we drive over and it is a magnificent house still under construction .

i happen to see a truck parked there that belongs to the owner of the house . i know him .

he is a competitor to the company i worked for .

what did he do ? he has a repair shop for sewage ejector pumps . he wold go in to these sewage pits and pull the pumps out and repair the pumps and motors , then reinstall them in these sewage pits ..

Old 10-28-2018, 04:07 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Wow, this topic is hoter than some of the political ones.

Here goes my two cents...........being in my late fifties I can remember the times where it took a bit to prepare your meals. Waiters and waitresses for the most part at most restaurants were skilled in the art of customer service, meaning constantly scanning for empty drink cups, checking on your satisfaction with the meal and clearing the table of plates as the dinner goes on.

Today with the bottom line about profit and unemployment so low coupled with the fact that we as the public visit a lot more places that are franchises has changed the way we go out to dinner.

I guess I am hard headed but I don't like using the little table kiosk for refilling or ordering drinks that Chili's is using. They want me to check out with them also. I know it is about bottom line and reducing wait staff but I don't like the experience.

My mom was a waitress growing up and she worked hard...........i learned from that. She had good days and bad days but always sucked it up and put on a smile no matter how rude or difficult some customers got.

If I get great service my tip reflects that, I don't want to be constantly scanning the restaurant trying to catch someone's attention for drink refills or to point out a problem with the meal. In those cases my lower tip reflects that. I have had short handed waiters or waitresses that were in a frenzy that have given exceptional service so it is a lot to do with attitude.

Another monster that seems to be morphing into a giant now is counter service.......where you order your food at the counter and return back up to pick it up. More and more I see where they are using Apple tablets and they swivel it around and before you sign for your bill the tip screen presents itself. Now at our mom and pop bagel place, which is run by a husband and wife and he is always coming from the kitchen with a little extra something for you to try out so I do tip a bit there, but our local bakery has just started with the tipping screen and it surprised me. We went in to buy to cupcakes and was asked if I wanted to tip. I can't see tipping in these scenarios but it is popping up more and more.

We have a little mom and pop Italian restaurant with a great menu, they went to counter service.......lasted a month and after dwindling customers went back full service.

With unemployment so low and competition tight among restaurants great customer service is going to be a hard thing for establishments to keep in place. Those managers or owners that used to walk the restaurant and pitch in or ask about your meal I think are a rarity now.

Bottom line when the service is great my tip reflects that.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 AM

393 posts, read 306,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
^^^ +1 ^^^

And, a separate line at Starbucks for people who want a cup of joe rather than some frilly half-caf, half-decaf, mocha crapachino with half a splenda in the bottom...
I 100% TOTALLY DISAGREE, because if you go let’s say to any fast food restaurant and stand in line only wanting a coke, you have to wait your turn behind someone else that’s ordering 2 combos and 4 kids meals. Their time shouldn’t be taken up for yours simply because you have something that takes less time to make.

I have been that person that only wanted a coke and I didn’t act like I should be first. I waited my turn line like it’s suppose to be EVERYWHERE else except of course ER because that has to do with life or death. Your cup of black coffee and my coke is certainly not life or death to get to be first all the time. If have to wait so should you and EVERYONE ELSE!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income, justified in reducing the level of tipping?

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels — at least where I live.

I used to automatically tip 20%, but now with restaurant prices where they are, I just can’t afford it. I’m lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
I 100% TOTALLY DISAGREE! Don’t order that more expensive entrée or that bar drink or dessert if you can’t afford to tip for good service! I am not a server never have been and feel if you can’t afford to tip PROPERLY you should get less expensive or less items. You are punishing the wait staff for you being selfish and greedy.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I'd rather see a flat price without tipping,
Good luck getting that second refill or anything extra. No one wants to get the same pay for doing more work for one table than another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance