U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 05:47 AM

7,666 posts, read 8,955,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income, justified in reducing the level of tipping?

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels — at least where I live.

I used to automatically tip 20%, but now with restaurant prices where they are, I just can’t afford it. I’m lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to go out to eat. Find a cheaper place.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,408,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
No need for hyperbole and sage "words of wisdom".

Pay attention...focus.

I didn't say anything about hating anyone, and my priorities are just fine. I asked if underpaid workers should have a tip jar.

I had jobs in the past where I was underpaid. I never had a tip jar on my desk I also know of people who are underpaid, but they don't carry around a tip jar.

I'm not sure why some people feel so strongly that customers/clients should be responsible for cheapskate employers
This sums up a big reason why I think tipping is stupid. Everyone wants to make more money, but not everyone is allowed to take tips (and really, most people who do get tips are just doing their basic job, so tips are stupid.)

I love to tip when it is for it's original purpose: when someone truly goes above and beyond what their job description entails.

Example: one night I had a late flight, was waiting on the sidewalk about midnight for the shuttle bus to take me to the airport parking lot. A bus pulled up, and the driver told me he was actually off duty, that it would be an hour until the next shuttle bus, so he'd go ahead and take me. He drove me directly to my car (not just the shuttle stop), he helped me put my luggage in my trunk, (at that point I happily gave him twenty bucks), and he didn't pull away until he saw that I got my car started and was leaving. I was blown away by his concern for my safety. If he was just driving the route, picking people up, driving them to the shuttle stop, that's just doing his job. No tip needed, in my opinion. Wages cover that.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 846,240 times
@ kayanne

Great post! Yes, that driver deserved a BIG tip.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:54 AM

6,091 posts, read 1,800,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, I think that tipping should be a reflection of the service. I tip anywhere from 0% to 25%.
You must be white. As a black man, if I tip 0% (regardless of the reason) then the next black person who gets serviced will get bad service and the cycle continues of blacks getitng bad service and giving bad tips.

I tip anywhere from 15% to 35%+. Tipping should be a reflection of courtesy and compassion, not service. How many different ways can a waiter/waitresss hand you a plate or refill your drink? Not many, which means you should probably never give a 0% tip.

These are working class people and you're robbing them of their livelihood with no tip.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You must be white. As a black man, if I tip 0% (regardless of the reason) then the next black person who gets serviced will get bad service and the cycle continues of blacks getitng bad service and giving bad tips.

I tip anywhere from 15% to 35%+. Tipping should be a reflection of courtesy and compassion, not service. How many different ways can a waiter/waitresss hand you a plate or refill your drink? Not many, which means you should probably never give a 0% tip.

These are working class people and you're robbing them of their livelihood with no tip.
Actually their cheap employer is the robber.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:50 AM

2,840 posts, read 1,379,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

listen I'm Black so not sure what this has to do with anything. I am not tipping to ensure someone else gets the service they are supposed to get.

Now If I have such terrible service that I don't tip, the person is going to know it because most likely I'm complaining to the management way before the bill comes in.

So maybe instead of trying to ensure the next generation of customers get the service they are supposed to, maybe we should work on getting bad serviced removed. If a guy is giving bad service to anyone they need to be fired not rewarded in the hopes they treat the next person better? are you serious? can I extrapolate that to other careers. say a nurse? or a teacher?

LOL so by this thought process if I hire a painter and he screws up my job I should then give him extra in the hope that he doesn't screw over the next house he paints.

What does compassion have to do with anything??? I have compassion, I support my charities and those in need.

Here is the definition of a tip,

"a gift of money over and above payment due for service. a bonus usually in return for good service. ie tip

lol, I am a working class gal, I'll talk to my boss today and see if I can use the ole "compassion" line for a bigger raise. lol yeah, I'll see where that gets me.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM

12,979 posts, read 6,201,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

listen I'm Black so not sure what this has to do with anything. I am not tipping to ensure someone else gets the service they are supposed to get.

Now If I have such terrible service that I don't tip, the person is going to know it because most likely I'm complaining to the management way before the bill comes in.

So maybe instead of trying to ensure the next generation of customers get the service they are supposed to, maybe we should work on getting bad serviced removed. If a guy is giving bad service to anyone they need to be fired not rewarded in the hopes they treat the next person better? are you serious? can I extrapolate that to other careers. say a nurse? or a teacher?

LOL so by this thought process if I hire a painter and he screws up my job I should then give him extra in the hope that he doesn't screw over the next house he paints.

What does compassion have to do with anything??? I have compassion, I support my charities and those in need.

Here is the definition of a tip,

"a gift of money over and above payment due for service. a bonus usually in return for good service. ie tip

lol, I am a working class gal, I'll talk to my boss today and see if I can use the ole "compassion" line for a bigger raise. lol yeah, I'll see where that gets me.
I wouldn’t use the word silly here, but I would be banned, so I will refrain.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:44 PM

329 posts, read 288,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to go out to eat. Find a cheaper place.
A tip is not a requirement or included in the price of eating out. A tip is for service.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
A tip is not a requirement or included in the price of eating out. A tip is for service.
True that a tip is not required. It's optional; some people can't comprehend that.
However, a tip is a bonus for service over and above.

Also, many people who blather on about how they're such big tippers are lying. Server is lucky to get a dollar from them. 20 - 35% ...pffft...

Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 AM

24,755 posts, read 23,712,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
True that a tip is not required. It's optional; some people can't comprehend that.
However, a tip is a bonus for service over and above.

Also, many people who blather on about how they're such big tippers are lying. Server is lucky to get a dollar from them. 20 - 35% ...pffft...
Do you know that they're lying because you worked as a server and never got that much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance