U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM
 
Location: USA
3,569 posts, read 845,913 times
Reputation: 4166

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Don't use this kind of mental gymnastics to justify being cheap. In the US, tip if you're going to eat out, assuming you get anything but terrible service. It's not a bonus.

If someone wants to be cheap, that's fine, but let's call it what it is.
What are you talking about?
I give a decent tip unless service is terrible.
I'm not cheap nor do I need to justify anything.

Do some research.

If you want to subsidize cheapskate employers and pretend you're a good person helping underpaid workers, that's your prerogative. But trying to turn the tables and attack me isn't going to work. Nice try.

Like it or not, tipping is optional...a bonus for going above and beyond.

Last edited by applej3; 01-09-2019 at 09:18 AM..

 
Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 AM
 
4,279 posts, read 1,838,345 times
Reputation: 2344
I tip 15%. Usually more like 16% or 17% because I will round up to make sure it is at least 15%. Often times I see 15% as the minimum suggested amount to tip on the receipt with higher options like 18%, 22% and %25. I guess that means I am a cheapskate?

Would they prefer the other option? We stay home and don't eat out at all? Then they could lose not only their cheap tip but possibly their job all together.
 
Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 AM
 
1,604 posts, read 524,948 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
What are you talking about?
I give a decent tip unless service is terrible.
I'm not cheap nor do I need to justify anything.

Do some research.

If you want to subsidize cheapskate employers and pretend you're a good person helping underpaid workers, that's your prerogative. But trying to turn the tables and attack me isn't going to work. Nice try.

Like it or not, tipping is optional...a bonus for going above and beyond.
Throwing out cultural norms because you don't like the way the system is set up simply to try and get away with being cheap isn't something I support. That's the problem. Not 'subsidizing' anything. Yes, technically speaking tipping in the US is optional. That doesn't make someone any less of a cheapskate if they choose not to tip for decent service.

Technically speaking, tipping is optional. Practically speaking, to anyone with common sense, it is not, in the US at least. People who say otherwise are just trying to justify being cheap.
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 AM
 
Location: USA
3,569 posts, read 845,913 times
Reputation: 4166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Throwing out cultural norms because you don't like the way the system is set up simply to try and get away with being cheap isn't something I support. That's the problem. Not 'subsidizing' anything. Yes, technically speaking tipping in the US is optional. That doesn't make someone any less of a cheapskate if they choose not to tip for decent service.

Technically speaking, tipping is optional. Practically speaking, to anyone with common sense, it is not, in the US at least. People who say otherwise are just trying to justify being cheap.
Still pulling things out if the air.

You've got your own circular logic game going on. I have no idea why you keep calling me cheap.

This is getting boring. Putting you on ignore. Bye!
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:50 AM
 
Location: USA
3,569 posts, read 845,913 times
Reputation: 4166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I tip 15%. Usually more like 16% or 17% because I will round up to make sure it is at least 15%. Often times I see 15% as the minimum suggested amount to tip on the receipt with higher options like 18%, 22% and %25. I guess that means I am a cheapskate?

Would they prefer the other option? We stay home and don't eat out at all? Then they could lose not only their cheap tip but possibly their job all together.
Haha!! Exactly.
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM
 
Location: in the soup
3,818 posts, read 1,617,135 times
Reputation: 4383
I'm no big fan of tipping as a convention. But if you can't/won't tip at least 15%, then you shouldn't go to the resuarant and rip off the server.

She needs aspirin for her pain.

Everybody's good enough for some change.
 
Old 01-09-2019, 02:07 PM
 
1,604 posts, read 524,948 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Still pulling things out if the air.

You've got your own circular logic game going on. I have no idea why you keep calling me cheap.

This is getting boring. Putting you on ignore. Bye!
Anyone suggesting it's reasonable to not tip in the US for the receipt of average service is being cheap.

Anyone suggesting tipping in the US is optional, from a perspective of socially acceptable (not legally mandated) behavior, is being cheap.
 
Old 01-09-2019, 02:35 PM
 
6,045 posts, read 2,791,474 times
Reputation: 5947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Anyone suggesting it's reasonable to not tip in the US for the receipt of average service is being cheap.

Anyone suggesting tipping in the US is optional, from a perspective of socially acceptable (not legally mandated) behavior, is being cheap.

Do you tip McDonald's employees when they provide average service?


Servers are fully compensated at a level at least equal to the Federal minimum wage, whether one tips or not. Why are so many all spun up over trying to ensure that servers get paid more?
 
Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
 
9,738 posts, read 8,031,976 times
Reputation: 6343
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I'm no big fan of tipping as a convention. But if you can't/won't tip at least 15%, then you shouldn't go to the resuarant and rip off the server.

She needs aspirin for her pain.

Everybody's good enough for some change.
What about the geezers in Florida who are allegedly living off of SS or a pension. They carry business cards they leave on the table that read "Sorry, but I am on a fixed income and can't afford a tip." even after consuming that third top-shelf drink.
 
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM
 
1,604 posts, read 524,948 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Do you tip McDonald's employees when they provide average service?

Servers are fully compensated at a level at least equal to the Federal minimum wage, whether one tips or not. Why are so many all spun up over trying to ensure that servers get paid more?
Since when is there a social norm to tip fast food employees?

"Why are so many all spun up over trying to ensure that servers get paid more?"


You and I both know you know the answer to that question. Don't be that person. If you want to not tip, you're within your legal right. Legally speaking, there is nothing wrong with being a cheap person at the expense of service staff.

Last edited by Lekrii; 01-09-2019 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top