U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:31 PM

9,509 posts, read 5,358,962 times

Advertisements

Simple answer is stop eating out... :/

Yeh.. blame the market.. its easier than facing the reality.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:42 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,462 posts, read 3,634,340 times
There is also the issue that managers in some restaurants will confront a customer who doesn't leave a 20% tip. And want to know why.

I really think servers should just be paid a regular wage without having to rely on tips. Yes, this will result in slightly higher prices on restaurant food, but it will eliminate other problems.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:46 PM

651 posts, read 333,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is also the issue that managers in some restaurants will confront a customer who doesn't leave a 20% tip. And want to know why.

I really think servers should just be paid a regular wage without having to rely on tips. Yes, this will result in slightly higher prices on restaurant food, but it will eliminate other problems.
The tips if any should be included with the food.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:53 PM

2,870 posts, read 1,400,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income, justified in reducing the level of tipping?

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels — at least where I live.

I used to automatically tip 20%, but now with restaurant prices where they are, I just can’t afford it. I’m lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
No
I tip on service, nowadays you can easily find out the menu and prices on line so if I go out to a restaurant I don't skimp on the tip because they have to pay someone a liveable wage.

no one is entitled to eating out. now imo whether the tip should be included, etc etc is moot. right now they system we have is to tip after the meal.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 10-14-2018 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM

6,062 posts, read 3,102,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income, justified in reducing the level of tipping?

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels ó at least where I live.

I used to automatically tip 20%, but now with restaurant prices where they are, I just canít afford it. Iím lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
I never do 20%. Usually 15% for good service. 10% for average or below average and Iíll even go lower if service is terrible and/or if waitress is rude.

I will do 18% if the service was excellent, drinks are constantly filled and the waitress is super nice and goes above and beyond.

My thought process is the waitress is making 25+ per hour CASH if she has 4 or 5 tables

Old 10-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 7 days ago)

9,462 posts, read 3,634,340 times
I wonder if people will still dine out when the standard, recommended tip goes up to 25% or higher.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:51 PM

23,560 posts, read 17,535,380 times
If you can't afford to tip that much, don't go to such an expensive restaurant. I don't tip on take out or at places like Jersey Mikes. Otherwise, I generally tip 15%-25% depending on the service.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 PM

18,848 posts, read 13,592,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

I doubt any manager confronts patrons about the tipping percentage with any regularity if ever

Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM

8,791 posts, read 5,649,808 times
15% is a good tip. Where people get this 20-30% as "good" is beyond me - this is exceptional territory and should be reserved for exceptional service. Should tipping percentages rise or fall? IMO, no - not unless and until tipping is done away with entirely. A percentage of the meal will ALWAYS be a percentage and when the price of food rises the amounts of tips rise too.

Don't be bullied or snookered by servers on the internet who post that they want more - they will always want more. If they could get a 20% "standard" they will then want 25% - then 30% and on and on.

Tipping is not the answer - real pay is.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-14-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 08:59 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Are you sure that is true? For decades Food Service Workers have been exempt from Federal Minimum Wage statutes because of the prevalence of tipping.

I don't remember reading anywhere that Food Service Workers are now covered by Minimum Wage or Living Wage laws.
NY has increased minimum wages to $7.50 for waitstaff, $11.75 for fast food workers, and just $10.40 for all others upstate from NYC , where it is higher for minimum wages.

I do draw SSDI, so im fixed income, but until tecentky was also working part time at said $10.40 plus a pittance of a "raise", which was fine as it kept me below the amount that would kick me off SSDI fir working only part time.

If i order a $14 meal and i tip 20% or $2.80, and im tgere tye typical 20-30mins, she has a chance to have another table follow me, and if that person does the same, she'll make $5.60 in tips +7.50 ( her minimum wage) = $13.10/hr. That would be MORE than my $10.40+0.25(10.65).

Why should i enrich the waitperson more than my wages? PLUS im paying $14 for the durn meal, that WAS $10 prior to the minimum wage increase.

So now i tip only 10%. They got a 100% raise in minimum wage (another $3.25) and all i got was a lousy $0.60 when it went up. I also hate the fact that they now pay McDonald's workers more than other minimum wage earners, when they always DID get the regular minimum wage, same as other minimum wage earners.

As someone noted, service has dropped as well. I mean the server comes once, Takes the order, and later drops food off with the tab and leaves. If i need a box, i have to hunt her down, or ask the cashier for one. Thats not service, i can get that kind of service at McDonald's, and i dont have to tip.

Now if service is GREAT, shes personable, and i get the extras i order, she'll get that 20%. But only for great service.

As soneone also noted if one cant afford it , perhaps one should not eat out. I dont. I only eat out on rare occasions.

I dont feel sorry in NY fior the servers.

My FIL doesnt believe in tipping at all. If fact he wrote a nasty letter to the editor of our paper about how servers should find a different line of work if they think they should be paid more than they are without a tip. The paper actually published it!!!

I agree tipping should be done away with, but then wed get really poor service, and that $14 meal would become a $20 meal. A $6 increase just to cover paying another $2.90 in wages.

I had a GF who worked as a waitress in the restaurant i worked at as a cook. Because she had a habit of spending what she got. So when she wanted to save money, shed give it to me hold in my safe. She raked in $1k a week. I made just $500.

So wait staff make out fairly well. The hype anout low pay is just that...hype to get you to give up more of your hard earned money.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance