Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:24 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income, justified in reducing the level of tipping?

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels — at least where I live.

I used to automatically tip 20%, but now with restaurant prices where they are, I just can’t afford it. I’m lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
How about the restaurant staff? Are they working 1/2 as much for you? No.

If you won’t tip a normal amount, then eat at home.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Tipping should be phased out entirely, save for as a show of gratitude.

Wait staff should be paid fair wages without relying on tips.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
We always found that the tipping system in the US at least resulted in great service, even though we found it tricky at times. However this year, travelling for six weeks in Alaska, Utah, Wyoming California and Hawaii, we really noticed a big overall decline in the service standard. Sometimes it was woeful. Whether it was because our previous travels a few years ago were in the East, around New York, or whether it was because it was the start of the tourist season, or whatever, the service was disappointing. This resulted in the dilemma of whether you should reduce the tip and if so, how much.

It was much easier recently in Italy and France, service charge being included and the potential to add a small tip for extra special service.

However, I go along with the opinion that, OP, you know the custom, you know the price and there are plenty of places where you can get specials, eat early, use coupons or whatever.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income,
justified in reducing the level of tipping?
In a word... No.
If things are that tight you'll just have to go less often.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Are folks like me, who live on Social Security or other fixed income, justified in reducing the level of tipping?

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels — at least where I live.

I used to automatically tip 20%, but now with restaurant prices where they are, I just can’t afford it. I’m lowering my standard tip to 10%.

How about you?
I find it strange that you are somehow expected to tip as if it's the law in the US.

In the UK and Europe, restaurants and hotels can add a service charge although they have to make this clear as well as the percentage charged, however you are under no legal obligation to pay the charge, especially if service was not up to standard in your opinion.

It's the same with hotels and to be honest who tips large chain hotels, you might tip a small family run business but I am not going to tip a multinational hotel chain.

I terms of restaurants nobody would dream of tipping fast food restaurants, takeaway/takeout food or even large casual dining chains.

The only restauurants where you might feel you should tip is at small family run restaurants or high end posh restaurants where you have to have a lot of money to eat their in the first place, although whether you leave a tip is still entirely up to you.

I rarely tip anyone, and that includes taxi drivers, hairdressers or any other profession, they have their prices and profit margins and make a good living already.

Nobody in the UK or Europe would ever dare say a word if you wealked out and didn't leave a tip, and there is nothing they can do legally if you don't leave a tip.

There's also no added sales tax in the UK, and all you are required to pay is the amount on the price shown and not a penny more.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-14-2018 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 06:15 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
If we're going to pay food-servers as well as a college-educated professionals, do we really need to tip?
But we’re not going to pay them that much.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I find it strange that you are somehow expected to tip as if it's the law in the US.
You find it strange, that’s swell. How does that help the OP?

Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you are on a fixed income, why are you eating out? Eating out costs more than staying home and preparing your own food. A meal at a restaurant can easily cost 5 to 10 times more than a meal you would make at home.
The predictable finger wagger.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:29 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:

How about you?
Nope. That's just being cheap. You want good service, but you're not willing to pay for it.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:53 AM

989 posts, read 769,172 times
I think tipping a percentage of what one spends on food is a dumb idea. If you want to tip do so at a fixed amount you see fit, not based on what someone else suggests.

If the service is great and the food is not, then what? It is not the servers fault is it? Tipping is just an excuse so the restaurant owners can make more profit on their already over priced food, by not paying their servers a living wage. I feel intimidated when I see a recommended tip at the bottom of a check. I am not stupid, I can count. If one must tip it should be included in the cost of the meal.

If the OP eats out less because he/she cannot afford the tip, everyone loses, the restaurant and the servers. Tip what you can afford if you want to.

Oh, and we can afford to eat every meal out at a top restaurant if we wanted to, but choose to eat out very rarely, usually only when friends ask. Eating out is so over rated, noisy and un-personal. I travelled every week for a living for 30 years and was forced to eat out a lot, I would still prefer to take something back to the hotel if it were an option. When we do eat out we tip around 15% usually rounded to the nearest dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance