Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

so did anyone figure out why a waiter in a high priced restaurant earns more than a lesser priced restaurant?

they work less tables with slower turnover? more staff per table?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't know why other than the fact I'd feel like an ass for leaving a $4 tip on an $85 bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so did anyone figure out why a waiter in a high priced restaurant earns more than a lesser priced restaurant?

don't know but I will say the service I get is totally different at Mortons steakhouse than say at a TGI fridays. Yes it's noticeable.

When one of my good friends passed the Pa bar we went to a local steakhouse called savoy's pretty pricey and I gotta tell you the server Steve, (I still remember his name 5 years later) darn near fell over his feet serving us. INCLUDING running a few stores down from the restaurant to get one of our lactose intolerant friends water ice instead of ice cream. our bill was ~ 500 bucks, we tipped him something like 33%. he earned every cent of it.

now my problem is I don't eat at that caliber enough times to really say, only once this year and that was for my son's college graduation dinner.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:28 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

Generally knowledgable and trained staff versus "hi I am Suzie".

Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Lol... some of you people make it sound like it’s “you” paying them the 15.00 an hour... and then having to tip them.
( and would probably be crying like stuck pigs if you were doing that job and got stiffed on your tip.)

Old 10-15-2018, 04:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Waiters in upscale places are required to have more experience and be very good at what they do. These restaurants won't hire just anyone who walks in off the street.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:46 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I agree with pretty much all of this. I think full service restaurants will go the way of full service gas stations. Remember those places, usually 4 pumps, when a couple guys would come out in uniform to check your oil, tires, clean your windshield, fill’er up and then give you green stamps on top of it all? Now it’s a place with a dozen+ self serve pumps and a bored kid sitting in a booth behind bullet proof glass.

Some grocery stores have pretty good prepared food sections now. We have eaten in those stores a few times actually (e.g. Wegmans, Whole Foods, Giant Eagle)
No they will not. We ate at Qdobas yesterday. I much prefer being waiting on which comes with the restaurant having a certain level of cleanliness.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
don't know but I will say the service I get is totally different at Mortons steakhouse than say at a TGI fridays. Yes it's noticeable.

When one of my good friends passed the Pa bar we went to a local steakhouse called savoy's pretty pricey and I gotta tell you the server Steve, (I still remember his name 5 years later) darn near fell over his feet serving us. INCLUDING running a few stores down from the restaurant to get one of our lactose intolerant friends water ice instead of ice cream. our bill was ~ 500 bucks, we tipped him something like 33%. he earned every cent of it.

now my problem is I don't eat at that caliber enough times to really say, only once this year and that was for my son's college graduation dinner.
mortons is my favorite of the high end chain steakhouses.

i agree, that generally you are getting a better quality server in a more upscale place. but that isnt always the case. sometimes i feel like that and sometimes i feel like its the same server, maybe a bit more polished.

i never complain about it and i tip everyone more than fairly. but i often dont really think im getting better service than i would with a substantially less expensive meal.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
No they will not. We ate at Qdobas yesterday. I much prefer being waiting on which comes with the restaurant having a certain level of cleanliness.
and qdoba is my favorite of those fast food mexican places.

how things are today, i definitely sometimes want a server and sometimes i want to go to a counter and get my food. i could see servers being mostly replaced by a table based kiosk. they would just come with food or as requested for assistance.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 PM

914 posts, read 642,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Lol... some of you people make it sound like it’s “you” paying them the 15.00 an hour... and then having to tip them.
( and would probably be crying like stuck pigs if you were doing that job and got stiffed on your tip.)
Many of my friends and I all worked in food related jobs during high school and college. I personally did not consider it a good place to make a living, which inspired me to complete the university degree program. But seems like now that people are making it a life-long career and expecting more from it.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance