Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 05:10 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Bring me my food and keep my drink full.

What's the difference?
(And yea, I've been to plenty of "high end" restaurants in my former life.)
then for you the experience is wasted but I like a bit more than just bring me my food. I like to chat about what dishes are being served. If I make changes I want the waitstaff to ensure they are carried out and even bring a surprise.

for example, I was just at a Italian restaurant, Saturday, a bit higher than your normal run of the mill chain restaurant. Waiter brought out samples of 3 different wines for us to sample (without being asked). waiter took the time to tell us about the varied "specials", chef sent out a small tasting plate of some type of spinach entree for the table to try.

That's a big difference than some one delivery your food and then bringing the check.

Yes we tipped a bit over 20%. It was a great "experience"

now as you said, you like to be left alone to read. so why go to a restaurant that give exemplary service. Just go to your local diner (which many have great chefs/cooks) and read?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:38 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
$100-$250\plate. (Without booze) business meals. Some bought for me, some I bought. Back When I wore Brooks Brothers.

Thing is: I don't LIKE someone standing there kissing my ass.
Keep the drink filled, don't bother me, and bring me my food. That's all I want. (Sadly most cannot handle that!)
-the thing I hate about 'nice places ' is that they think the glass of overpriced bottled water makes it ok for the drink I ordered to be empty so I have to drink water when I'm thirsty (I drink quite a bit when I eat. To the degree I warn wait staff.)

Flourishes of pouring drinks, making a production of delivery etc.... Waste of time. I'm there for the food not the show, and I know what I'm in the mood for. Not interested in whats about to go bad.

When I'm eating out by myself I read. Work (back when) or pleasure.

Very foolish of you to jump to conclusions.
I can understand the distinction you are making -- dinners out with loved one for special occasion vs. solo diner on business. Perhaps there should be a quiet section in restaurants for quick "no frills" dining.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Perhaps there should be a quiet section in restaurants for quick "no frills" dining.
^^^ +1 ^^^

And, a separate line at Starbucks for people who want a cup of joe rather than some frilly half-caf, half-decaf, mocha crapachino with half a splenda in the bottom...

Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
there are different restaurants for different types of dining. of course, a restaurant can choose to adjust its offering to cater to any crowd they wish. wawa or 7-11 offers your cup of joe that you can put together yourself.

panera was a place that i felt very comfortable not tipping and now they request it automatically with payment. im still not tipping at this point.

btw, i was there last wednesday and got this blueberry scone. whoa it was so good. like a sweet dense biscuit with blueberries. had almost 500 calories but it was worth every one of them.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:23 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
do you really think most servers make 27.50 an hour, or that most RNs make that little?

You're way wrong on both.
Um no im not.

I know several severs. They WERE disappointed by the raising of their minimum and the johnqpublics knowing it and reducing tips. Dont forget i even dated one, who made teice what i did as a cook at the same restaurant.

I also know one LPN...she was making $18. She took a new job i suggested from indeed.com at $26.00.
She thought about becoming an RN. RNs here make $28-35. Higher for ER or Operating room.

This is MY area, yours may vary.

Still, the question remains, wait staff make far more than poverty, due to generous tips.
Di you think your server should make more money than the grocery store stocker at the grocery store who ensures you have fresh food stocked in large quantities for your convenience for when you Don't eat at a restaurant???

So many people are thinking that Poor Suzie the waitperson is soooooo poor ( how poor is she?) When they rake in the dough from idiots who believe they have a "plight " abd are so broke they cant afford to pay attention to your order.

They usually make more than the person who actually cooks your food...to your requested order, without spitting in it, without picking his nose into it, without dropping it on the floor. Which, should be the reason you go there in the firstplace.

Im not saying dont tip, im saying they have pulked the wool over your eyes if you believe they are poor. Anywhere in this country that has tried to do away with tips, the servers have complained they make less than with tips. That should tell you something.....

Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
I have never tipped because I thought the person was so poor. I tip based on the experience. Customer facing jobs that provide a "feel good" experience usually get a premium. I tip my hairstylist who happens to be the owner of the salon not because I think she needs the money, I don't really know how much she makes. It's because she makes the experience so pleasurable. THis plus the affordability factor equals tips.

A grocery store stocker is limited in pay by the aforementioned factors. The margins in grocery stores are very low keeping pay down and people are not inclined to tip their grocery store stocker.

ALso consider, wait staff earnings are variable and there are dead nights with few tips so they depend on busy nights with good tips.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Um no im not.

I know several severs. They WERE disappointed by the raising of their minimum and the johnqpublics knowing it and reducing tips. Dont forget i even dated one, who made teice what i did as a cook at the same restaurant.

I also know one LPN...she was making $18. She took a new job i suggested from indeed.com at $26.00.
She thought about becoming an RN. RNs here make $28-35. Higher for ER or Operating room.

Still, the question remains, wait staff make far more than poverty, due to generous tips.
Di you think your server should make more money than the grocery store stocker at the grocery store who ensures you have fresh food stocked in large quantities for your convenience for when you Don't eat at a restaurant???

So many people are thinking that Poor Suzie the waitperson is soooooo poor ( how poor is she?) When they rake in the dough from idiots who believe they have a "plight " abd are so broke they cant afford to pay attention to your order.

They usually make more than the person who actually cooks your food...to your requested order, without spitting in it, without picking his nose into it, without dropping it on the floor. Which, should be the reason you go there in the firstplace.

Im not saying dont tip, im saying they have pulked the wool over your eyes if you believe they are poor. Anywhere in this country that has tried to do away with tips, the servers have complained they make less than with tips. That should tell you something.....
I do not know what restaurants you go to or what company you keep.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Um no im not.

I agree. Even teachers and cops around here start out around $30-35k which is about like making $15/hr. Given that type of wage, how much should wait staff make? I’m not saying they should make $8.50/hr, but I doubt many of them are at risk of making that unless they work at some rinky dink dinner that no one goes to...in that case, go work at a busier restaurant. It would obviously be in their best interest to perpetually claim “I don’t make enough” because who wouldn’t want to make more than many college educated people working a job that probably doesn’t even require a HS diploma?

Old 10-22-2018, 12:09 PM

98 posts, read 137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. Suzie knows everything they sell on the sticky, smudged, fingerprinted menu. She knows there's an upcharge for asparagus over broccoli, too, and that she should mention that you can get your Bahama Mama supersized for just $2.00 more. But Suzie probably can't recite a list of complicated specials and how they were prepared or recommend a wine to accompany them.

Oh, you are so right about that. I realize that most restaurants don't want to spend money for servers performing unnecessary tasks. But seriously, when the menu itself is covered with smudged food, grease, etc., maybe it's time for the managers to take a few minutes and wipe down those menus once in a while.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
^^^ +1 ^^^

And, a separate line at Starbucks for people who want a cup of joe rather than some frilly half-caf, half-decaf, mocha crapachino with half a splenda in the bottom...
lol there is a line for that, it's at Dunkin Donuts or Wawa.

Seriously.

You go to high end restaurants or starbucks, you get the frills. IMO that's like folks who go to a 5 star hotel and then complain about the price saying all they need is a bed and a shower. That's why God invented Motel 6 and tom Bodett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance