Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 PM

892 posts, read 480,018 times

Advertisements

My older sister was made conservator when my father died in March 2017.
I received a message this afternoon about being sent mail concerning my mother's
situation (she has dementia) from my sister. She said that the law firm asked for my
address unit so that they could send my mail to me. And then she told the law firm to send
that mail to her instead, claiming "mail system problems" (no such problem exists where
I live) keeping my mail from being delivered directly to me.

Her husband is a controlling man, and monitors her calls and letters. He tried to get money
out of both my parents when my father was alive, and my father was afraid of him. I don't
want my important legal mail controlled by him, either.

I understand if my sister is scared too, but I have a right to be sent my own mail and paperwork
to look over and sign. Does my sister have a legal right to decide how I get my own mail? And
without asking for my consent or input first?

Needless to say, I contacted the law firm right away and told them to *only* send my mail
to my address, including my whole address in my e-mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezku View Post
I received a message this afternoon about being sent mail concerning my mother's
situation (she has dementia) from my sister. She said that the law firm asked for my
address unit so that they could send my mail to me. And then she told the law firm to send
that mail to her instead, claiming "mail system problems" (no such problem exists where

Her husband is a controlling man, and monitors her calls and letters. He tried to get money
out of both my parents when my father was alive, and my father was afraid of him. I don't

I understand if my sister is scared too, but I have a right to be sent my own mail and paperwork
to look over and sign. Does my sister have a legal right to decide how I get my own mail? And

Needless to say, I contacted the law firm right away and told them to *only* send my mail
As a conservator, you basically function in loco parentis.

That is to say, you are your mother's parent.

As the conservator for your mother, you are her advocate, and you perform all the duties your mother cannot due to her condition (dementia), such as paying her bills, ensuring she has continued medical treatment and attends her appointments with doctors.

That does not mean you have to drive her to the doctor, it simply means you're responsible for scheduling with Medicaid/Medicare to have a car service take her to her appointments.

You will handle all of the Medicaid/Medicare issues.

You will also ensure she has food, by contacting your county or State services to schedule "meals-on-wheels" or whatever social services are available in her area for her.

If she is unable to maintain her home, you will schedule a cleaning service to come round once a week, or twice a month or once a month as necessary to clean up.

You are responsible for ensuring repairs to her home are effected as needed, whether that's having pest control come round and spray for insects, or repairing the roof, siding or windows.

You will monitor and maintain her bank accounts, debts and financial assets, too.

You need to have a Come-to-Jesus meeting with the attorneys, and explain to them in no uncertain terms that you and you alone are conservator, and that all correspondence will be directed to you and no one else, and that they will speak to you and you alone regarding your mother, and if they cannot perform those duties properly, they can explain why they are unable to do so to your county or State Bar Association.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 AM

23,559 posts, read 70,077,656 times
Quote:

You covered your bases. IIRC, conservators have to report to a court periodically on how any money is being spent. If you have concerns about the husband you may have interest in reviewing those reports. People get in BIG trouble for mishandling a conservatorship. Judges are not kind to those stealing when they have been selected by the court to protect.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:52 AM

Thank you for the information on what my sister's role is in being the conservator.
As far as receiving mail meant for me, the law firm did the right thing by asking for
my unit number to send that mail directly to me. My sister should have let them have
that address with my consent, rather than ignoring my input and having it sent to her instead. Speculation about how things are where I live are not a substitute for the facts
of how things actually are; she did, however call back and say she was going to tell the law firm to send my mail directly to me. But that only happened after I called back to correct her, notify the caretaker about this issue, and contact the law firm to tell them the information about the address they asked for myself. This happened the first time after my father died, with the same claims about non-existent "mail system problems"--I received all paperwork, and had an excellent, documented correspondence with the financial advisor with successful results. It seems my sister doesn't want me to have
control over my own future, but she doesn't have control in her marriage or in the workplace, either--so this may be a lame attempt to 'control' me to feel 'powerful'.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 AM

(That said, at this point, a topic more relevant to the "Psychology" forum area ; )

Old 09-12-2018, 12:12 PM

13,652 posts, read 12,310,989 times
No, you need to tell the law firm in no uncertain terms that mail meant for you, is sent to you, where you dictate it to be sent to.

Although, most communications from the law firm will likely be with your Sister, since she is the conservator and not you.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Thank you, Jonov--my thoughts exactly.
It helps to know how this process about my mail starts; last time I was told I'd get mail and had to contact the financial advisor for it, and he let me know I wasn't even in their records. But he and I continued this process until the end, me also getting calls my sister told me I was supposed to get--and then telling me I 'didn't need to talk to the rep' as well as being told "you don't need to know or understand what you are signing". If I hadn't contacted the financial advisor (who oversaw the original financial advisor's errors with my paperwork), I would probably not have gotten my death benefit check. It also didn't help that her husband was grabbing my father's mail and claiming she 'didn't know anything', as if she wasn't "really" the conservator. pretty awful. I'm making sure this situation isn't repeated again,
because the same excuse (lie) is being claimed all over again 'as if' the mail system prevented all that mail the first time from getting through. obviously, that never was a problem for me in the first place.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:19 AM

(I called the law firm and repeated my address; it sounded like they didn't hear anything about my address until then. Once again "words" don't necessarily equal actions)

Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM

good news--my first piece of mail arrived this afternoon, complete with "rundown" of actions taken since this conservatorship began.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,538,935 times
Quote:
good news--my first piece of mail arrived this afternoon, complete with "rundown" of actions taken since this conservatorship began.

That must be a relief! It's good that you'll be able to see if there is any hanky panky going on. I hope all goes well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance