U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 01:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,598,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
In the process of freezing my 4 year old's SSN. Correct me if I'm wrong but based on everything I've read, you need to send all kinds of info to each credit bureau separately via mail (copy of minor's SSN card, minor's birth certificate, copy of your driver's license etc.). This is a sample direction from Transunion (Equifax and Experian both ask for same):

"If you are a parent or guardian of a minor and would like to freeze their credit report, we can help. Here's what you'll need to provide.
1. A written request to place a “protected consumer freeze” on the named individual’s file
2. AND One piece of documentation that provides ‘sufficient proof of authority’ that you have authority to act on behalf of the minor or dependent such as:

• an order issued by a court of law
• a lawfully executed and valid power of attorney
• a document issued by a Federal, State, or local government agency in the United States showing proof of parentage, including a birth certificate
• with respect to a protected consumer who has been placed in a foster care setting, a written communication from a county welfare department or its agent or designee, or a county probation department or its agent or designee, certifying that the protected consumer is in a foster care setting under its jurisdiction.

AND One piece of information or documentation that provides ‘sufficient proof of identification’ that you are who you really are, and that the minor/dependent is who they really are, such as:

• a social security number or a copy of a social security card issued by the Social Security Administration
• a certified or official copy of a birth certificate issued by the entity authorized to issue the birth certificate
• a copy of a driver’s license, an identification card issued by the motor vehicle administration, or any other government issued identification

Please send everything here:
TransUnion Protected Consumer Freeze

Please note: Consumers are not able to place a protected consumer freeze via phone or online at this time due to the documentation requirements."
Right. My daughter and son-in-law are in the process of freezing my 4-year-old granddaughter's credit, and were at first surprised to find out all the documentation that must be sent in. Of course they recognize the necessity of it, but my point is, the process is more difficult than an adult freezing his or her own credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 02:10 PM

20,348 posts, read 13,466,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Right. My daughter and son-in-law are in the process of freezing my 4-year-old granddaughter's credit, and were at first surprised to find out all the documentation that must be sent in. Of course they recognize the necessity of it, but my point is, the process is more difficult than an adult freezing his or her own credit.
Things are as they should be, as they always should when involving a minor.

Sadly too many instances of even a parent or legal guardian manipulating a child and or its interests for their own benefit, and or out of spite.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:17 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,094,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
In the process of freezing my 4 year old's SSN. Correct me if I'm wrong but based on everything I've read, you need to send all kinds of info to each credit bureau separately via mail (copy of minor's SSN card, minor's birth certificate, copy of your driver's license etc.). This is a sample direction from Transunion (Equifax and Experian both ask for same):

"If you are a parent or guardian of a minor and would like to freeze their credit report, we can help. Here's what you'll need to provide.
1. A written request to place a “protected consumer freeze” on the named individual’s file
2. AND One piece of documentation that provides ‘sufficient proof of authority’ that you have authority to act on behalf of the minor or dependent such as:

• an order issued by a court of law
• a lawfully executed and valid power of attorney
• a document issued by a Federal, State, or local government agency in the United States showing proof of parentage, including a birth certificate
• with respect to a protected consumer who has been placed in a foster care setting, a written communication from a county welfare department or its agent or designee, or a county probation department or its agent or designee, certifying that the protected consumer is in a foster care setting under its jurisdiction.

AND One piece of information or documentation that provides ‘sufficient proof of identification’ that you are who you really are, and that the minor/dependent is who they really are, such as:

• a social security number or a copy of a social security card issued by the Social Security Administration
• a certified or official copy of a birth certificate issued by the entity authorized to issue the birth certificate
• a copy of a driver’s license, an identification card issued by the motor vehicle administration, or any other government issued identification

Please send everything here:
TransUnion Protected Consumer Freeze

Please note: Consumers are not able to place a protected consumer freeze via phone or online at this time due to the documentation requirements."

Great info!

My only question left is do I have to do this with all 3 major credit bureaus?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:24 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,195,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Great info!

My only question left is do I have to do this with all 3 major credit bureaus?
Yes, you need to send the info to each bureau. Equifax actually has a form, the other 2 do not.

Equifax form:

https://assets.equifax.com/assets/pe...quest_Form.pdf

Experian directions:

https://www.experian.com/freeze/form-minor-freeze.html

Transunion:

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze

Once you're at the Transunion site, scroll down and you'll see a category titled: "Freeze A Loved One's Credit (3)" >>> "How do I freeze for my minor child?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or