Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Cigarettes, whiskey and wild, wild women.
Cigarettes and booze in my 20s. Before health problems ( unrelated) set in. Tried pot but didnt like it.

I was smart, i let the wild women spend on me!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:24 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Lottery tickets. Never won anything.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
People in their 60s who gripe about being on a fixed income or only having social security benefits. Who's fault was that? Their's. In sixty- plus years of their life did nobody ever explain to them what a retirement account or a 401K is?

Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
People in their 60s who gripe about being on a fixed income or only having social security benefits. Who's fault was that? Their's. In sixty- plus years of their life did nobody ever explain to them what a retirement account or a 401K is?
Good point. I would also include people who were going to receive a pension but never checked on the details. While that did not happen to me, I have a friend whose job has a lot of part time workers, some who had worked there for years. She told me that a number of people retired and expected to live on their SS and pension but discovered that both were quite low. Some of the pensions were only $50 or $100 a month. It would have been very easy for them to check to find out more details about the pension and not assuming it would be a lot of money (especially when they only worked part time).

Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny57 View Post
i will start with a few examples

i dropped £1 in a shop and couldnt retrieve it
i bought a packet of biscuits then threw them away
i broke the tv with my Nintendo Wii remote and had to pay £100 to get it replaced.
Bought a 1998 Dodge Van for $3K at 29.99% interest.

Stayed with a bank that charged me for accounts (I was getting it for free as I had a CC with them) but still irksome every month the "take $14.95, redeposit $14.95"

Had a "pay as you go plan" with verizon and missed the 30 day deadline..There went $25....

Old 10-26-2018, 08:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

OMG Electrician,
We are going through this now. it's ugly. My brother rented our childhood home in NYC to a nephew (lol told the buggers this was a baaad idea. everyone in the family wanted to help kid out because he's had issues). anyhoo, hasn't paid rent in months and now he's trying to take us to court because we finally decided to sell the house and be done with it. Said my brother is harassing him and causing mental trauma.

the kicker, we were only charging him 700 bucks a month. I told him let me know where he can find a 3 bedroom home in NYC and pay 700 bucks a month.

Oh yeah I know the feeling. It amazes me how many stories 8 hear like that and it ends up being a friend or family member. That’s why my wife and I were united in that decision. I won’t even rent to anyone i know even as a casual acquaintance. Because no matter what the “friend”card gets pulled. I don’t even get chummy with my tenants. My wife however wants to be everyone’s friend. Drives me up a damn wall.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
my biggest waste of money was purchasing a brand new Audi A4 for about 35k out the door and trading it in 5 years later for $5k.

my avoidance of big money wasted: disney time share

Old 10-29-2018, 11:57 PM

31 posts, read 24,504 times
Watching movies and spending on dining

Old 10-30-2018, 07:01 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I was picked up on a DUI last year. I ultimately got it reduced to a reckless endangerment - officer was no longer employed, the state was undergoing a Supreme Court challenge to blood results, and there was no breath or dashcam evidence. Blood work was .186. This can be expunged in five years and has no impact on my license. I've never heard of anyone getting a reckless plea with a BAC anywhere near what I did. I was picked up at 1 AM while filling up the car with gas at a service station - they said I entered through the truck entrance (not an infraction).

When I was in jail that night, the guys in the holding cell recommended a lawyer's name and that he "makes things go away." I bonded out the following day, and my dad took me to Arby's near the jail. Someone in the Arby's overheard it and recommended the same attorney.

The lawyer was $3,500, but worth his weight in gold. Towing was like $200, bail was $250, fines and court costs were $450. I also ended up taking like five days vacation dealing with it all. I didn't get a decent vacation in this year due to all the costs and burning time going to court.

I've spent more money on moves I shouldn't have made and such, but the DUI takes the cake for money flushed down the drain.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:02 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
401K's are only 30 years old Priscilla and not every company offered them when they first came out and most economist have said the 401K's have never ever been able to substitute for defined pensions that most folks my age knew when we first started working.

My fortune 500 company that has been in existence since the revolutionary war has only been offering them for 10 years

So sorry in my 60 years of life, no noone had to explain what a retirement account was BECAUSE THEY DID NOT EXIST IN 1961
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance