U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 04:59 AM

1,896 posts, read 637,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My biggest financial mistake was marrying someone who had a different approach to money as me. While I spent my time being frugal for fun he spent his time shopping for fun and we could never find common ground.
Oh, I did that. Fortunately, when we divorced the house had appreciated considerably and so did the one I bought after that- so I lucked out and ended up with a nice chunk of change in my retirement savings when I remarried and we moved to a LCOL area.

Anyway- I realized yesterday something else stupid that cost me. I don't spend a lot of money on clothes anymore- I'm retired- but 3 years ago I bought a pair of Lucchese ostrich boots. I loved them but didn't wear them too often because they were dressy and the surface wasn't as durable as my 10-year old Justins. Earlier this year I was looking for them and couldn't find them anywhere. I realized they must have been stolen from my locker at the gym. I always lock my purse in the trunk and keep my phone and car keys with me, so no need to have a lock on the locker, right? Who'd steal my clothes? I must have worn the boots when I went in, stuck them in the locker with my clothes, forgotten when I changed back into regular clothes that I'd worn the boots, and just gone home in my gym shoes. I asked at the gym but by then it was too late.

So... yesterday I stopped at a huge Western wear store about 40 miles from my house on the way home from a road trip and found exactly what I wanted- in the Sale rack, yet. Another pair of Luccheses with ostrich, made in the good old USA, for less than I expected to pay. They were still $500.

This pair will NOT see the inside of the gym unless I buy a lock.

Unfortunately, having seen Paradise at the sale racks in the Western wear store, I may be back next time I pass through the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 09:11 AM

12,979 posts, read 6,201,140 times
I don’t think I have to be careful about not wasting money. I bought jewelry on my vacation that I want to have for years, then after wearing them for about 3-4 months, I got bored. Maybe wearing again in the future but it does seem of a waste. But I did enjoy them tremendously when I bought them.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:56 PM

936 posts, read 364,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I donít think I have to be careful about not wasting money. I bought jewelry on my vacation that I want to have for years, then after wearing them for about 3-4 months, I got bored. Maybe wearing again in the future but it does seem of a waste. But I did enjoy them tremendously when I bought them.
Two cruises, two watches. Love them both....and all of my others also but, itís not a wise use of money. Thank goodness we generally live well below our means.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 AM

7,104 posts, read 5,379,052 times
Starbucks. It['s not an everyday thing but I do go short periods of time where I will get lattes 3-4 times a week for a month then stop for a longer period. Then starts over again. This go-around I lasted 5 months without going to Starbucks.

Comcast. They keep reeling me back in with special offers but my term expires in a few months. I'm done with them this time.

Letting my kids waste food since one is a vegan and the other is a picky eater.

Car insurance in Michigan. It's over the top expensive.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 PM

894 posts, read 1,512,444 times
Friend and best man at my wedding was opening a restaurant and needed $10,000 to stock and have cash in the register. Three years later it went under...just a bad investment in my book no harm, no foul still friends. Then three years later it appears he wasn't paying taxes and the state came after me as I was listed as an "owner" looking for $6,000! We worked it out still friends.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 PM

1,896 posts, read 637,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Starbucks. It's not an everyday thing but I do go short periods of time where I will get lattes 3-4 times a week for a month then stop for a longer period. Then starts over again. This go-around I lasted 5 months without going to Starbucks.
I drink their plain old boring coffee but my 4-year old granddaughter LOVES their cake pops. And a juice box to go with it, of course! I've been able to finance this bad habit through gift cards I get from brownie points at the blood bank and from e-Rewards surveys. Haven't had to add Real Money to the card in years!

Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 AM

463 posts, read 160,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Friend and best man at my wedding was opening a restaurant and needed $10,000 to stock and have cash in the register. Three years later it went under...just a bad investment in my book no harm, no foul still friends. Then three years later it appears he wasn't paying taxes and the state came after me as I was listed as an "owner" looking for $6,000! We worked it out still friends.
The restaurant business is a tough business that requires long hours of hard wok along with putting out consistently good food..quite a number of pro athletes have lost large chunks of money because they were told investing in a restaurant would be as near a sure thing as possible...

I have been friends with a husband and wife that opened and have been operating a small Italian restaurant and bar for decades out in the Hamptons....a place frequented by locals as well as by the summer wealthy and celebrities.....they have been successful for all those years due to in addition to hiring and keeping good help in a large turnover business they themselves would be there working each and every day....

And they would tell me privately that a couple of times a week it never failed to have some celebrity eat there and to look around and say to them " I should open a place like you have here...appears to be a gold mind "....and they would tell me if they only knew the long hours and hard work it was to make a good enough living to pay all their bills and to put their only child through college...

A very tough business and you and your friend are fortunate the state agreed to settle for cash for evading state taxes as in many cases they will pursue criminal action....always always throw the tax people the bone they are always looking for....regardless of what business one many be in..I'm a self employed investor and have a very well paid but worth every cent CPA and he makes sure the bones go out on a regular basis.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
horses....

+/-

Lawnmower gas

Old 11-15-2018, 01:00 PM

560 posts, read 135,318 times
I let a $150 Visa rebate ( rebate on tires, not a gift card) card expire because I was "saving" it for a big purchase and didn't want to "waste " it on something mundane like groceries.

Spent $30,000 on a college degree on a career I didn't pursue.

Cashed in a 401k to pay for debts incurred by my ex husband

Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 PM

1,684 posts, read 704,692 times
Bought a $2,500 bike
ride my older $600 bike much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or