Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The $5k for the roof simply comes from savings that grows yearly as I only live on about $10k/year. 3 years with no big expenses equals $30k + whatever return. Let’s $35k. Pay for the roof and now I have $28k...2 more years without big expenses and I have $48k + whatever return. So on and so forth.

Basically making $13-14k/year and I could pay all my bills and save $3-4K/year (what a lot of people are lucky to save toward retirement/whatever per year. It all starts with the housing cost/rent approaching $0/month.
You may have posted it on the other thread, can you list your budget for living? Might be a hassle to write it all out though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 01:40 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You may have posted it on the other thread, can you list your budget for living? Might be a hassle to write it all out though.
I sort of wonder what the point of that would be. People will pick it apart to support their preconcieved ideas anyway.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:33 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Off the top as of now:

$20/internet
$20/tv service (100+ channels)
$120/Power
$70/water and sewer
$40/car insurance
$50/property tax
$$40/home insurance
$30/gasoline (50 mpg)
$0 cell phone (1 yr free Sprint...was paying $17 month for 5gb unlimited talk and text)

That’s $390/month then add in food/insurance. Throw in a few bucks for clothing - I only spent ~$300 for the year of 2018 or $25/month.

This is most of the required stuff but as you can see, a person could live on $10k with some splurging thrown in. Pretty darn good for $11-12/year. Really good on ~$13-14k with enough money to add substantially to savings.

Now here’s where things get REALLY good. If the person is in a relationship and their partner makes at least $20k/year, wants to work like normal people and agrees to pay half of shared expenses....well, they both live like Kings.

For this family unit, you have a yearly income of $40k.

Expenses go up a little supporting two people, but stuff like internet, TV, power, water, property tax, groceries (buy in bulk, two people so cook more), gasoline (traveling more together so one car), possibly health insurance, etc, get cut in half. I think most people living together should try to split expenses via time or money (for example a mom staying home with 3 kids is probably worth $40k “to the family” if a few of the kids are under 4 years old).

Let’s say expenses for the couple are $15k. $40k - $15k = $25k left over.

At $15k/year, per person living expenses are $7500/yr.

Throw in $5k for the couple to entertain themselves (3-4 decent vacations) and they are living good on $20k worth of expenses per year. $20k/year left over is going to the retirement/unexpected/whatever fund. Maybe one year they want their $5k entertainment budget to be $10k for a very nice 3 week vacation to somewhere special. Well, that extra $5k comes out of the $20k left over after required expenses. You don’t want to spend all that $20k though because you want to get richer and richer and move up in society (albeit slowly). Stay humble and never think you’re better than anyone on your way up.

Cliffs:

Couple, $40k income, no mortgage/rent, no car payment, sorta working/middle class existence, not too materialistic = defeat the matrix, live good, do what you want with your time, screw alarm clocks, no boss, no annoying coworkers, no more driving to work, no more repetitive bull spit...unless of course you’re one of those that absolutely love what you do for work and would do it regardless. For those people this plan means nothing...like the cop who just LOVES being a cop. For those that can’t convince themselves their job is what they love...this plan may come in handy.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:49 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Eddie, all the best to you.

But until you provide specifics in terms of how you retired so young (and specifically if you've ever gotten any kind of public assistance), I don't think that for me there's anything much to say.
No harm, no foul. That's just me.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Eddie, all the best to you.

But until you provide specifics in terms of how you retired so young (and specifically if you've ever gotten any kind of public assistance), I don't think that for me there's anything much to say.
No harm, no foul. That's just me.
How I did it is irrelevant. Maybe you could copy me. Maybe you couldn’t. Maybe I’m a idiot genious. Who knows.

Point is - retirement can start becoming a possibility if one has say $10k/year coming in and a home/car paid for.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Unless your property taxes are more than $10k.
Health insurance here without a job is over $15k.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:07 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Off the top as of now:

$20/internet
$20/tv service (100+ channels)
$120/Power
$70/water and sewer
$40/car insurance
$50/property tax
$$40/home insurance
$30/gasoline (50 mpg)
$0 cell phone (1 yr free Sprint...was paying $17 month for 5gb unlimited talk and text)

That’s $390/month then add in food/insurance. Throw in a few bucks for clothing - I only spent ~$300 for the year of 2018 or $25/month.

This is most of the required stuff but as you can see, a person could live on $10k with some splurging thrown in. Pretty darn good for $11-12/year. Really good on ~$13-14k with enough money to add substantially to savings.

Now here’s where things get REALLY good. If the person is in a relationship and their partner makes at least $20k/year, wants to work like normal people and agrees to pay half of shared expenses....well, they both live like Kings.

For this family unit, you have a yearly income of $40k.

Expenses go up a little supporting two people, but stuff like internet, TV, power, water, property tax, groceries (buy in bulk, two people so cook more), gasoline (traveling more together so one car), possibly health insurance, etc, get cut in half. I think most people living together should try to split expenses via time or money (for example a mom staying home with 3 kids is probably worth $40k “to the family” if a few of the kids are under 4 years old).

Let’s say expenses for the couple are $15k. $40k - $15k = $25k left over.

At $15k/year, per person living expenses are $7500/yr.

Throw in $5k for the couple to entertain themselves (3-4 decent vacations) and they are living good on $20k worth of expenses per year. $20k/year left over is going to the retirement/unexpected/whatever fund. Maybe one year they want their $5k entertainment budget to be $10k for a very nice 3 week vacation to somewhere special. Well, that extra $5k comes out of the $20k left over after required expenses. You don’t want to spend all that $20k though because you want to get richer and richer and move up in society (albeit slowly). Stay humble and never think you’re better than anyone on your way up.

Cliffs:

Couple, $40k income, no mortgage/rent, no car payment, sorta working/middle class existence, not too materialistic = defeat the matrix, live good, do what you want with your time, screw alarm clocks, no boss, no annoying coworkers, no more driving to work, no more repetitive bull spit...unless of course you’re one of those that absolutely love what you do for work and would do it regardless. For those people this plan means nothing...like the cop who just LOVES being a cop. For those that can’t convince themselves their job is what they love...this plan may come in handy.

Gee, where the heck do you live? Ill gladly move there if not in frozen tundra like i already live in.

Cable (100+channels ) + internet +applicable taxes is $110.
Power (budget payments) $175. We are actually a little ahead as we cut back on usage.
Water sewer...we pay $90, thats the minimum charge as we dont use up the minimum gallonage.
$140/m car insurance, 2 vehicles( we ARE in NY).
Property taxes are $3k a year. You do the monthly math.
$400/yr home insurance , do the monthly math.
Our gasoline bill is $300/m.(2 vehicles and we live in the city).[ one gets 40mpg, one gets 20, but is used far less)
$150/m 5 gigs cell 2 phones, my OH s conpany requires a certain ( nameless here) carrier for punching in and out and using field tablet ( tablet provided)
What else you got there? That $760/m right there, almost a grand a month.

Mortgage takes it well over a grand. Own 1/2 the house in just 3 years, with only 10% down.

Im not even including food and tp, or other household stuff.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:11 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
In your other thread I believe you asked people if they wanted to join you.
Well, before I can answer that, let me know how you did it. THEN I can answer that question.

Without specifics, can you categorically state that you've never received and do not receive any public assistance of any kind?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Unless your property taxes are more than $10k.
Health insurance here without a job is over $15k.
Never said you can do it anywhere in the US...just that you can do it in the US.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Gee, where the heck do you live? Ill gladly move there if not in frozen tundra like i already live in.

Cable (100+channels ) + internet +applicable taxes is $110.
Power (budget payments) $175. We are actually a little ahead as we cut back on usage.
Water sewer...we pay $90, thats the minimum charge as we dont use up the minimum gallonage.
$140/m car insurance, 2 vehicles( we ARE in NY).
Property taxes are $3k a year. You do the monthly math.
$400/yr home insurance , do the monthly math.
Our gasoline bill is $300/m.(2 vehicles and we live in the city).[ one gets 40mpg, one gets 20, but is used far less)
$150/m 5 gigs cell 2 phones, my OH s conpany requires a certain ( nameless here) carrier for punching in and out and using field tablet ( tablet provided)
What else you got there? That $760/m right there, almost a grand a month.

Mortgage takes it well over a grand. Own 1/2 the house in just 3 years, with only 10% down.

Im not even including food and tp, or other household stuff.

Southeast. I don’t really do anything special to keep expenses low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance