Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 07:45 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times

Advertisements

My old van died last Sat. I found out the computer fried. So, rented a van and looked for a quality one. Found it and applied to a credit union for a loan.

I danced around the issue of having an address. (I live in my vehicle) and was approved...at 7.45%....Normally I'd have been shafted by 20% and up...I had a 680 score..

THEN she (loan officer) is seeking a $10K credit card to wipe out my other 2 cards...My God, if Banks were like this....

Can't believe I wasted so long with the banks...I'd hate myself, but already did enough of that...Now onto paying off everything in 12 months and being debt free...Or as close as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 07:58 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Credit unions are often, but not always, more personal and accommodating than banks. There are good banks, too, but they aren't the nationwide ones.

I don't know why anyone banks with a megabank any more. There used to be a reason to go with the big guys, but these days, a bank or CU has to be really tiny not to have all the resources of a mega.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:53 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Credit unions are often, but not always, more personal and accommodating than banks. There are good banks, too, but they aren't the nationwide ones.

I don't know why anyone banks with a megabank any more. There used to be a reason to go with the big guys, but these days, a bank or CU has to be really tiny not to have all the resources of a mega.
Agreed -- and even within the realm of the CU world, there are huge differences. My credit union pays 2.25% interest on checking without requiring a minimum daily balance. Unheard of! My kid banked his financial aid award for a month and earned more interest in the month than my dad earned on his substantially larger balance (at a different CU) in a YEAR.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

I’ve had no problems with chase for all the years I’ve been with them and I have no reason to go anywhere else for banking services.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
same , i am very happy with chase .. i have no reason to anywhere else

Old 10-27-2018, 03:24 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Agreed -- and even within the realm of the CU world, there are huge differences. My credit union pays 2.25% interest on checking without requiring a minimum daily balance. Unheard of! My kid banked his financial aid award for a month and earned more interest in the month than my dad earned on his substantially larger balance (at a different CU) in a YEAR.
there can and usually is a big difference between credit unions and banks ,especially with loans . why do you think the credit union is trying to get the op that credit card to wipe out the other two cards ? to be nice ? lol

credit unions are notorious for using cross collateralization. .

the cross collateralization used by many credit unions can be quite a shocker to those who don't read or understand the differences between a bank and a credit union.

When you take out a loan to buy a large item, such as a car, you give the lender a security interest in the item. This means that if you don't make your loan payments, the lender can take the item and sell it to satisfy the debt.

When you borrow money from a credit union to buy something, the loan agreement usually contains a clause that says that not only is the property collateral for the loan you're obtaining to buy it, but it will also be collateral for any other loans you take out through the credit union.

That includes credit cards and personal loans.

you buy a car by taking out a loan from your credit union. The loan agreement for your car loan usually contains a cross-collateralization clause. you later open a credit card account with that credit union and uses it to pay for some vacations or pay off other credit cards . After three years, you pay off your car loan, but you still have a balance due on your credit card.

you lose your job and stop making your credit card payments.

The credit union can repossess your car and sell it to pay the credit card debt.

the devil is in the details as they say .

Old 10-27-2018, 04:01 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,723 times
I love my credit union. Been there 25 years now and I've never paid a bank fee!

Old 10-27-2018, 04:14 AM

178 posts, read 147,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
same , i am very happy with chase .. i have no reason to anywhere else
My wife and I have been banking with Chase for many years, and although we’ve had the occasional hiccup, we also don’t see any reason to change. We pay our cards off fully each month, and between having our mortgage with them and keeping more than the checking account minimums, we don’t pay any interest or fees. We use their online bill-paying utility to schedule our monthly payments so we don’t have to worry about making the payments individually.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:37 AM

472 posts, read 473,553 times
I've had little to no issue with chase over the years but like everything else people will have different experiences. I dont ask much from them so not much chance to be disappointed.

I have to say I'm disappointed with the UR program changes and how they handled the new sapphire bank account and its possible bonus

Old 10-27-2018, 09:22 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
I've had little to no issue with chase over the years but like everything else people will have different experiences. I dont ask much from them so not much chance to be disappointed.

I have to say I'm disappointed with the UR program changes and how they handled the new sapphire bank account and its possible bonus
What issues do you have with the UR program or the sapphire bank account?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance