Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 06:40 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , you can only apply up to 3000 against regular income . everything else CAN ONLY BE APPLIED AGAINST CAPITAL GAINS. you carry over to next year any part you can't use
Yup, I was a bit confused about this too when I saw on my return a massive "disallowed loss" but since I'm not in the real estate business myself, that disallowed loss can only be applied against future passive income not against regular income or business income from other sources, unless the source of the disallowed loss is sold, then it becomes transferrable against any other income. That was the explanation from my accountant, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yup, I was a bit confused about this too when I saw on my return a massive "disallowed loss" but since I'm not in the real estate business myself, that disallowed loss can only be applied against future passive income not against regular income or business income from other sources, unless the source of the disallowed loss is sold, then it becomes transferrable against any other income. That was the explanation from my accountant, at least.
I think you’re referring to the passive activity loss limitation rules. The other post was focused on capital loss rules.

Passive activity losses are usually, although not always, ordinary losses that can only be used to the extent you have passive activity income (whether that income is ordinary or capital).

Capital losses can only be used against capital gains (plus $3k per year).

They can interact with one another. If you had a $10k passive activity ordinary loss and a $15k passive activity capital gain along with a $15k capital loss not from a passive activity, you could use the $10k loss because you have passive activity income and also use the capital loss against the capital gain.

The end result would be a $10k ordinary loss you could use against other ordinary income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance