Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:30 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not really , because under anything but worse case outcomes , the likes of which we have not seen since 1966, you need to take raises .

even under average outcomes the draw would be about 6% inflation adjusted . no one draws like a robot every year .

if you drew only 4% inflation adjusted , 90% of the time you would die with more than you started . 67% of the time you would die with 2x what you started with and 50% of the time you would die with 3x what you started with . so that would be a terrible waste of money that could be enjoyed and used. so raises are important along the way .
So what is the best way? It seems all I heard was use the 4 percent rule in these and other forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
As far as net worth, I figure if I sold everything I own , paid whatever debt I had, and was sitting on the street with what was left that would be my net worth. I agree with you there.
You wouldn’t need to go through the ridiculous exercise of selling everything as the calculation for determining net worth doesn’t require it

Quote:
I'm not sure how you figure out that the value of a house is only in selling when it comes to retirement. If a house is fully paid off it can go up in value. A common misunderstanding about rental real estate is that you only make money when you sell it and that's if it's worth more than you paid.
But if it throws out a 13% cash return every year why would you not count it as a retirement income if that is the plan? Why would you sell that house unless by cashing out you can beat the 13% yearly return you would get the rest of your life?

I said the value shouldn’t be included in retirement planning unless you planned on selling. I did not mention income production because I was talking about the value of said house

Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You wouldn’t need to go through the ridiculous exercise of selling everything as the calculation for determining net worth doesn’t require it

I said the value shouldn’t be included in retirement planning unless you planned on selling. I did not mention income production because I was talking about the value of said house
Still not understanding your points.
My point is the value of the asset is what you could get for it if you sold it, not that you had to sell it to figure it out. How are you figuring the value of an asset?

Since you claim the value of a house shouldn't be included in retirement planning unless you are selling, does the same apply to a stock portfolio too? You don't count its value unless you are selling it all?

Old 11-17-2018, 02:38 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
So what is the best way? It seems all I heard was use the 4 percent rule in these and other forums?
the 4% safe withdrawal rate is only really used to ball park first year . it is far to conservative under anything better than worst case . it is based only on assets that can be sold on the spot as well as can be rebalanced . it is the equivalent of gas mileage in a laboratory under controlled circumstances.

i use bob clyatts 95/5 method which is dynamic and considers actual good and bad years so all raises are built in.

every jan 1st i look at the balance and take 4% OF THAT YEARS BALANCE AND PUT IT IN THE CHECKING ACCOUNT .

if markets are down , you get the higher of : 4% of the actual balance or 5% less then the prior year .

it works well , you get your raises instantly but never really have to take a big hit if markets plunge .4

other methods use buckets . you have say 7 years short term money , 7 years in intermediate term and all the rest in equities .

whenever markets are up you can sell some equities and refill the buckets . you can see calculating real estate in this other then as income is not practical . you can't put the living room in the cash bucket .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-17-2018 at 04:08 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
As far as net worth, I figure if I sold everything I own , paid whatever debt I had, and was sitting on the street with what was left that would be my net worth. I agree with you there.

I'm not sure how you figure out that the value of a house is only in selling when it comes to retirement. If a house is fully paid off it can go up in value. A common misunderstanding about rental real estate is that you only make money when you sell it and that's if it's worth more than you paid.
But if it throws out a 13% cash return every year why would you not count it as a retirement income if that is the plan? Why would you sell that house unless by cashing out you can beat the 13% yearly return you would get the rest of your life?
brick and mortar real estate is not really passive income . it is more akin to a business . why do people sell business's when they retire ?

because they want only liquid ,passive investments and no headaches from the business , in this case tenants and property issues . .

Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
My point is the value of the asset is what you could get for it if you sold it, not that you had to sell it to figure it out. How are you figuring the value of an asset?

Since you claim the value of a house shouldn't be included in retirement planning unless you are selling, does the same apply to a stock portfolio too? You don't count its value unless you are selling it all?
only the income from real estate is counted for retirement purposes just like a business . why ? you cant rebalance the living room and liquidate it to refill cash and bonds as they need refilling for selling .

if you sell it and put the money in to something highly liquid and something you can rebalance then it gets counted.

a retirement portfolio has yearly rebalancing to create spending cash

Old 11-17-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:

the proper way to figure rental properties is to treat the income the way you would social security and pension .

so if you need 100k income and have 20k in pension ,20k in rent and 20k in ss you need 40k from your liquid sources (portfolio) .

you then would stress test 40k in something like firecalc over as many years as you want it to last and find an allocation that gives you a 90% success rate .

if you don't want to use that high of an allocation to equities , usually 40 to 60% then you need to spend less or save more and reduce the allocation until you hit 90% success.

that is your starting point day 1 .

Old 11-17-2018, 07:02 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
You were over complicating net worth.

Quote:
If you planned on never selling then yes for retirement planning purposes. It’s much easier to sell 4% of a stock portfolio than 4% of a house

Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the 4% safe withdrawal rate is only really used to ball park first year . it is far to conservative under anything better than worst case . it is based only on assets that can be sold on the spot as well as can be rebalanced . it is the equivalent of gas mileage in a laboratory under controlled circumstances.

i use bob clyatts 95/5 method which is dynamic and considers actual good and bad years so all raises are built in.

every jan 1st i look at the balance and take 4% OF THAT YEARS BALANCE AND PUT IT IN THE CHECKING ACCOUNT .

if markets are down , you get the higher of : 4% of the actual balance or 5% less then the prior year .

it works well , you get your raises instantly but never really have to take a big hit if markets plunge .4

other methods use buckets . you have say 7 years short term money , 7 years in intermediate term and all the rest in equities .

whenever markets are up you can sell some equities and refill the buckets . you can see calculating real estate in this other then as income is not practical . you can't put the living room in the cash bucket .
You keep a whole years spending in the checking account? What if there’s leftover from the prior year? What if it’s December and you are out of funds?

I think that method would drive me nuts watching my checking balance.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:21 AM

we carry over any left over .

if we run short our next line is an ultra short bond fund so we can refill instantly . we generally don't run short as we never spend every penny plus we have some money at local banks so really never a problem . it is like we bought a new car for cash this year . we clicked and refilled and done .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-17-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance