U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM

805 posts, read 787,988 times

Advertisements

I have a relative who is a 59 year old woman. So far been in decent health but has depression/PTSD which has negatively affected her earning ability. Wasn't able to hold a full time job with benefits. Currently working part time at a restaurant, making just over min wage. Gets subsidized medical coverage through Marketplace.

I'm trying to help her plan for the future as she is unable to figure it out on her own.

- What happens if she were to get ill/fall down and break a hip/etc?
- If she is unable to work and need someone like a nurse or sitter to help her get around the house? Run for groceries? Pay her bills since she no longer would have a source of income?
- What kind of help would she be getting from state?
- Would getting long term care insurance help?

I would appreciate any advice/tips/information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 AM

6,634 posts, read 2,701,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I have a relative who is a 59 year old woman. So far been in decent health but has depression/PTSD which has negatively affected her earning ability. Wasn't able to hold a full time job with benefits. Currently working part time at a restaurant, making just over min wage. Gets subsidized medical coverage through Marketplace.

I'm trying to help her plan for the future as she is unable to figure it out on her own.

- If she is unable to work and need someone like a nurse or sitter to help her get around the house? Run for groceries? Pay her bills since she no longer would have a source of income?

I would appreciate any advice/tips/information.
Long term care insurance may not provide this sort of assistance. It is more for in facility medical care (nursing home, not residential type care). Also, any policy she might be eligible for might be priced much too high given her existing conditions. You'd need to call her state to find out about their social services programs. They differ a lot. Also ask about Medicaid.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:50 AM

4,924 posts, read 3,145,673 times
Quote:

1. She'll be in a LOT of pain. Medically needed surgery. No, the hospital MAY forgive the costs, but when shown they can't get blood from a turnip, they'll usually back off (BTW I had a CHF in 2010. Hospital bill was $42K they cut it by 10% and then when I showed them I was on UI and got only $200 a week, they forgave the rest. The doctors had to eat their losses though)

2. Depending on the state, they will provide assistance....But not a lot of bells and whistles. (My State Washington supplied one lady with quite a bit, but she always was demanding more than they'd provide even though she was told time and again she never qualified for a 24 hour nurse. She did have a husband, that's why)

As far as bills go, that's dicey...She may be required to sell her home.

3. Basic care, nothing fancy.

4. Long Term Care Insurance Rates for Single Age 55

Average Cost: $2,007-per-year * $167 a month cost...
Low Cost: $1,764
High Cost: $3,446
* Average Cost (with preferred health discount): $1,720-per-year
Age 55, standard health rate. Initial policy benefit for EACH is $164,000 based on a Daily benefit of $150 and 3 year benefit period. Coverage value will increase annually because a 3 percent compound inflation growth option was included.
Long Term Care Insurance Rates Cost Comparison from leading long term care insurance companies

Old 11-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
-

3. Basic care, nothing fancy.

[/url]

What encompasses basic care? I'm trying to figure out what level of care and medical coverage she would be getting and whether we need to find ways to supplement it.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
What encompasses basic care? I'm trying to figure out what level of care and medical coverage she would be getting and whether we need to find ways to supplement it.
What state?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
What state?
Arizona

Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 PM

77,699 posts, read 69,599,259 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "help". If you truly want to help, research psychotherapists in your area who deal with trauma, and who offer a treatment called EMDR. It's extremely efficient and effective for clearing PTSD. If the practitioner/s don't accept insurance, pay for 3 sessions for her. Done. It could help resolve her depression, too, but if she wants to work on that, she shouldn't have any trouble finding a practitioner who accepts insurance. Whether or not her insurance covers a number of mental health visits is another question. But with your help, she could at least resolve her PTSD.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Arizona
https://des.az.gov/services

Quite a bit of info and medical services along with other assistance homelessness also...

Old 11-15-2018, 12:16 PM

452 posts, read 152,421 times
Does she qualify for disability due to her PTSD/depression?

Old 11-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
https://des.az.gov/services

Quite a bit of info and medical services along with other assistance homelessness also...
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance