Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 08:14 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times

Advertisements

I don't really give true gifts anymore, nor do I get them. My father will usually send me a check, but the last few years I have asked him to add whatever he was going to send me, to my brother's check as he needs the money much more than I do.

Last year my father went to my sister's in Santa Fe. She had a full house with her (adult) children and my father, so I sent a big gift basket from Zabars that contained bagels and salmon and salamis and pastrami and coffee and chocolate and breads and lots of other stuff. It went over very well, they had Christmas breakfast with it, with plenty of stuff left over for sandwiches and snacks for everyone to pick at throughout the week. I think I'll probably do that again, since it was useful, appreciated and not something that is adding more needless junk to someone's space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 09:11 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I don't really give true gifts anymore, nor do I get them. My father will usually send me a check, but the last few years I have asked him to add whatever he was going to send me, to my brother's check as he needs the money much more than I do.

Last year my father went to my sister's in Santa Fe. She had a full house with her (adult) children and my father, so I sent a big gift basket from Zabars that contained bagels and salmon and salamis and pastrami and coffee and chocolate and breads and lots of other stuff. It went over very well, they had Christmas breakfast with it, with plenty of stuff left over for sandwiches and snacks for everyone to pick at throughout the week. I think I'll probably do that again, since it was useful, appreciated and not something that is adding more needless junk to someone's space.
^Great idea. One of the few friends with whom I exchange has everything she needs, but she lives in the DC area and can't get really good bagels. I sent her a gift basket with bagels, cream cheese and lox plus black-and-white cookies from a real bagel place in NYC. She loved it.

My family stopped the gift-giving a couple of decades ago. It used to be fun to shop at one time for everyone's gifts when we were younger, but as we got older we changed it to the adults doing a $25 gift thing where we picked names and then everyone bought for the kids in the family.

Eventually some family members were having a difficult time financially, and the $25 was too much for them, so we got it down to doing funny $10 gifts and playing that game where everyone takes a number and can trade off their gift, etc. The family gathering, which is always in January, is now more centered around food, but some of my family members now have health problems and can't attend. I think once my mother is gone, the family party will dissipate altogether, but she just turned 90 last week and is running around telling everyone she wants them to come to her 100th birthday party, so we'll see.

I still buy something for my mother and for my daughter, but my daughter is a perpetual student so I get her some small things and give her a check.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:18 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post

I love food gifts. They're tasty and I don't have to dust them.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:29 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have several friends who would get upset if I didn't buy gifts for their kids, and with one of these people, the mom actually stopped talking to her BFF when her BFF stopped giving her son gifts at Christmas. Even though the mom can well afford to buy her son whatever they want, on their own. So we fork over every year, but I've actually had to cut way back on what I give my own children (they get very little) so I can afford to buy gifts for these other people. It feels like extortion and emotional blackmail every year.

I had an ex-boyfriend (we were still on civil terms) who insisted I buy gifts for his two little girls. I cut the cord completely over that. And then he denied he had ever asked me to buy them presents. Some people are loco.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:48 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
And you can freeze whatever you don't eat right away.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Quote:

I just dusted a fruit cake gift the other day, with powdered sugar so it's at least palatable to look at.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:45 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
I put up a tree--really my son did--three years ago and I loved it! There were four little wrapped gifts under it. I think you should do it.

Oh, the drama. I think my husband felt the same way. If we weren't eating his mom's ham or his nona's ravioli, he was in some sort of emotional pain.

Do what you want to. I liked a tree, white lights around doorways, cookies, and holiday music on Christmas Eve. That's what I got because I put it together.
Atta girl.

My sister-in-law is a holiday overachiever, so in years past when we got to my MIL's place days before Christmas the tree would be fully decorated, dozens of cookies baked, all gifts wrapped, etc. Truly she left nothing for anyone else to do.

I remember someone wanted cantaloupe one day, so I took it out of the fridge. She took it away from me and got out a knife. I said, "L, honestly I've been checked out on cantaloupe. I passed the test. Let me do it." She sat down at the table but I could feel her eyes boring into the back of my skull.

Well, DH is just going to have to deal with his holiday issues. I know he doesn't like flocked trees ("My family never had them"). I'm going to get a flocked tree, because I want one.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:59 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Fluffy, flock the hell out of your tree. If he's not decorating, he doesn't have much or any say.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:40 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I just dusted a fruit cake gift the other day, with powdered sugar so it's at least palatable to look at.
"Christmas without fruitcake is like St. Sigmund's Day without the headless boy." (Rose Nyland)

Old 11-22-2018, 08:55 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Atta girl.

My sister-in-law is a holiday overachiever, so in years past when we got to my MIL's place days before Christmas the tree would be fully decorated, dozens of cookies baked, all gifts wrapped, etc. Truly she left nothing for anyone else to do.

I remember someone wanted cantaloupe one day, so I took it out of the fridge. She took it away from me and got out a knife. I said, "L, honestly I've been checked out on cantaloupe. I passed the test. Let me do it." She sat down at the table but I could feel her eyes boring into the back of my skull.

Well, DH is just going to have to deal with his holiday issues. I know he doesn't like flocked trees ("My family never had them"). I'm going to get a flocked tree, because I want one.
Does she enjoy getting everything ready for the family or is she being pressured into it? I enjoyed years of a family member who eyeballed everything with raised eyebrows and had to show me at least once per visit that she was in charge. One year I lost my temper when they were in uninvited approach and threw a KitchenAid across the kitchen. SO repaired the floor after the holidays.
If you want to decorate the tree - tell her. Suggest doing it together. Have a giggle and a glass of prosecco. Offer to bake some of the cookies, run errands, pick up last minute things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance