Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:42 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Christmas...ah the days of Little House on the Prairie when Mr. Edwards shows up after "wrestling with Santa" and gives each girl their OWN tin cup for a Christmas present.....AND they were absolutely delighted!

The great nephews will get a bunch of toys for out at their grandfathers farm. They will have plenty to play with there now. There are 3 of them. Balls, bats, chalk for the chalk board. Coloring books for the older. Stiff to keep them busy and out of trouble. Along with the jungle gym there, they will have plenty to play with. They are all under 10.
They will also get a stocking of cheap Christmas candy, pencils, erasers, etc. YES, with an ORANGE in the toe!!! That tradition goes back in my family as well!!

My OH will get two inexpensive cashmere sweaters. As will I. Also a gold Krugerand. I already got them. Thats it. My oh will spend no more than $20 on something for me.

We will not be getting the brothers ( grandfather to great nephews) and the nephew and neice-in-law anything. Its all about the kids.....we will be going there for Thanksgiving dinner and christmas day. I wont have to cook a meal i physically cant do anymore!

I dont bah humbug Christmas but my plans to put up Christmas lights this year are foiled by a bad knee that wont climb a ladder....

The tree will be the 3'er i got for jut $9.99 last year...maybe it was $19.99. Its one that lights up and rotates. I bought miniature decorations for it.

That will be the extent of our Christmas....

Everything else you can have....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 12:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I'm trying to get my spouse on board with stopping the expensive monetary gifts at Christmas to nieces, nephews and god children who are now adults and most of them graduated from college. Spending several hundred dollars a year just on these adult kids, is killing our budget around the holidays.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:47 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Ever feel like this when Christmas comes around?

No, not really. We have almost no one to buy gifts for. Family is either almost gone (DH's side) or malevolent (my side). No children.

I want to put a tree up for the first time in decades -- was forced to be an onlooker at his family Christmases for the last 20 years -- but there won't be much under it. So I guess there's no point.

DH denies it but his thing is that Christmas isn't really Christmas if it isn't with his birth family. But his parents are gone and his sister won't invite us, so what am I supposed to do about that? He says he has a wish list. He's said that before but never given it to me. It makes sense, I guess. Why enable the woman who just wants to have a nice Christmas for once, when you can make her cry again instead?
Honestly, I can’t believe what I read here, I would just dump this husband without a single regret if I were in your shoes. Doesn’t sound like a good marriage, why stay so long.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I put a lot of thought into gift buying for others. I just wish anyone else did the same for me. DH always comes through, but the kids, not so much.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM

I found the perfect gift for my husband, a book he likes to read and it’s going to be big. Keep him busy for a few months.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:14 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Honestly, I can’t believe what I read here, I would just dump this husband without a single regret if I were in your shoes. Doesn’t sound like a good marriage, why stay so long.

It's okay. I'm too prone to fits of despair. Just ignore me when I'm down like that.

I think I'm going to follow reneeh's advice and put the dang tree up anyway. Maybe I'll wrap a bunch of empty boxes with a note inside each: "If you'd given me your list there would be a gift in here."

Old 11-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's okay. I'm too prone to fits of despair. Just ignore me when I'm down like that.

I think I'm going to follow reneeh's advice and put the dang tree up anyway. Maybe I'll wrap a bunch of empty boxes with a note inside each: "If you'd given me your list there would be a gift in here."
Yes, put the tree up. You just bought a new house so enjoy.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
I absolutely despise Christmas, mainly all the gifting, it's gotten too commercialized and it's meaning has gone by the wayside. I'd rather spend the day like Thanksgiving, good food and drink with family and friends, and being thankful for everything in life.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I absolutely despise Christmas, mainly all the gifting, it's gotten too commercialized and it's meaning has gone by the wayside. I'd rather spend the day like Thanksgiving, good food and drink with family and friends, and being thankful for everything in life.
I agree. I'm a practicing Christian and while I understand that we don't OWN the holiday, that Jesus was not born on December 25, that the date was taken from a pagan celebration... it depresses me that it's now become the make-or-break season for retailers so they start putting decorations out after Halloween (or earlier), people leave Thanksgiving dinner with family to wait in line for Black Friday specials, that wasn't enough so there's Cyber Monday... and so much gift giving is a mindless exchange of gift cards and whatever the "must-have" item is that year. I just saw an item on FB by a woman who suffered severe burns when her InstaPot blew open despite her following directions very carefully, spraying boiling-hot soup on her face and chest and causing severe burns. Last year at this time that's what everyone was giving everyone else.

Glad to be a non-participant.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:35 AM

355 posts, read 390,746 times
I told my nephew cut a paper in 4 pieces. On each piece write something you did nice for someone over the past year. Fold them
Up , put them in a bag. I picked one and what was written down I gave as a gift in return. What did I pull out. During the year he gave his mother a list of five reasons he loves her . I made the list photo shopped the list in his hand into a picture when he was 5 , photo shopped his mother .the final result a 5 years old handing his mother a list of why he loves her . My nephew is 17 years old . Both cried when he opened the gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance