Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:00 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,974,758 times

Advertisements

If you can't sell it, sign over the title to the owner of the park, and tell him he can sell or rent it. I'm sure this happens more often than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM

23,548 posts, read 70,029,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
OK, that makes sense. Yes, things are getting that bad. This is a small town with very poor people. I hope we can sell it, we'll have to take a loss for it, no matter what. But my fear is that we won't be able to sell it, and the park said they won't buy it back. Too old. Although it's in good enough shape. Maybe I'll just try to give it away, lol, so we don't get socked for a dismantling bill. We'll see. Not ready to sell it yet.
If the park is playing hardball and refuses to let you sign over title, you might gently suggest that you know a bunch of guys exiting prison who would LOVE to have a free home for a few months before any eviction process could be served. Basically, the park wants to keep you on the hook for lot rent. Once management understands that it not only won't happen, but that you have the cohones to follow through "gifting" to someone who will depreciate the value of the entire park, there should be an attitude shift. If there isn't? Some guy gets an unexpected Christmas gift.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:13 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,442,074 times
Cindi,

When we bought our house, our 1983 14x 70 3/1 trailer had to go.

The park where we lived from 1995 to 2015 controlled buying and sellubg, wheter you owned it or not. It was in need of repairs, had a roubd roof and metal siding. Tgey have only allowed pitched roof and vinyl sided for many years. So our trailer was nit " up to their code" for selling unless it was bought and moved out of the park.

They offered to take it off our hands and take care of the expenses of moving it out of the park in exchange for keeping our original $175.00 security deposit.

We could not find a buyer who would buy and move it. So we let the park take it. It had no value as far as resale, so we felt lucky to not have to pay for disposal or recycling.

See if tge park will nake an arrangement like that for you if its not sellable and they want it out of their park.
Best of luck to you.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:53 PM

561 posts, read 321,419 times
If you can't sell it you could try gifting it but most parks will have an approval process so the idea of gifting it to Bubba and his cell mates as suggested above could backfire badly on you if Bubba isn't approved and doesn't move the trailer out or get it transferred out of your name.

I know times are hard but don't be so quick to assume that the park is just trying to stick it to you. Many landlords are in the same boat we are and everyone thinks it's ok to make their problem the landlords problem because they can't afford rent or whatever. I hope you can find a buyer and it all works out for everyone.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:39 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,081,154 times
An option is to become a 'reluctant' landlord, not to screw the park but to find a decent tenant and cover expenses and make a few bucks, too

Old 12-02-2018, 10:37 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,242,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Maybe just have a heart to heart talk with the Management. They have likely been through it before, and they will know a judgement will be very tough to collect. You would maybe gain a few months ignoring notices, etc, but never really a good plan and sounds like you need to move. As a barstool lawyer, I don't think they could garnish SS, but life insurance could come into play....depends on the state, and rules applying to trailer parks...Google Mobile home abandonment.
OK. (Thanks.)

Old 12-02-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
An option is to become a 'reluctant' landlord, not to screw the park but to find a decent tenant and cover expenses and make a few bucks, too
They don't allow tenants. I was thinking to ask a few good friends who rent if they want to take over the trailer. We'll see. We won't be moving for at least a year so I have time to think.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Cindi,

When we bought our house, our 1983 14x 70 3/1 trailer had to go.

The park where we lived from 1995 to 2015 controlled buying and sellubg, wheter you owned it or not. It was in need of repairs, had a roubd roof and metal siding. Tgey have only allowed pitched roof and vinyl sided for many years. So our trailer was nit " up to their code" for selling unless it was bought and moved out of the park.

They offered to take it off our hands and take care of the expenses of moving it out of the park in exchange for keeping our original $175.00 security deposit.

We could not find a buyer who would buy and move it. So we let the park take it. It had no value as far as resale, so we felt lucky to not have to pay for disposal or recycling.

See if tge park will nake an arrangement like that for you if its not sellable and they want it out of their park.
Best of luck to you.

Thanks, I will definitely ask about that, especially if we can't sell it. Our trailer, although not in the worst condition, is a '75 14 x 70. I already spoke to the park management and they told me they wouldn't buy it, it's too old. But oddly enough, I see they installed a horrible old trailer in the empty lot next to ours. Not even sure if it's sold but I do see someone go in and out sometimes. This is a poor area, some trailers kept in better condition than others. I was told 30% of the park is not rented, so things are bad.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If the park is playing hardball and refuses to let you sign over title, you might gently suggest that you know a bunch of guys exiting prison who would LOVE to have a free home for a few months before any eviction process could be served. Basically, the park wants to keep you on the hook for lot rent. Once management understands that it not only won't happen, but that you have the cohones to follow through "gifting" to someone who will depreciate the value of the entire park, there should be an attitude shift. If there isn't? Some guy gets an unexpected Christmas gift.
LOL, one thing the management does is check background. :-) The park isn't in the greatest shape to begin with. But it's not the worst I've ever seen.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Give it away before you abandon it. Pick a friend or a church/charity. If you have insurance on it double check the cancellation. Keep a copy of the countersigned title.
We do have insurance on it. What do you mean by doublecheck the cancellation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance