Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:47 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, that last part is particularly well put. I think of myself as probably neither an extrovert or an introvert, but likely closer to introvert simply because I'd prefer to avoid a lot of social settings and like my alone time or time with just 1 close friend at a time, or my girlfriend. I'm fine with seeing one friend per week and that is never reality, it's more like 1 time per month I hang out with friends on average (not by choice, just they're busy, don't live near me, etc.). That being said, in social situations and parties people would usually assume I'm an extrovert because I'll talk to everyone, I'm accustomed to those types of large gatherings because of my upbringing, and I do enjoy them occasionally it's just not something I particularly want to do often. It's like the definition where they said introverts feel drained by social interactions and extroverts feel recharged, well I find dealing with a lot of people to be draining and after that I'm ready not to see anyone for a few days.

The problem I think that's often missed to be completely honest because it's either mean or politically incorrect to say is the notion that introversion and extroversion are so easily determined by what actually happens in a person's life rather than the specific factors involved. I would assume most people who have a high IQ and who are different from most other people aren't going to want to hang out regularly with your average people, and since most people are average, it's hard to relate to them and that maybe makes someone think you're an introvert. Get me a party of 20 people who are like me, it's going to be a lot less exhausting. But when it's a party of people talking about the city I currently live, which I hate, or their kids or opinions on kids when we don't want or like kids, or you're trying to explain a challenging career path to people not in the industry, it becomes exhausting because it feels like a constant battle of opinions.

I'm never exhausted by any social interactions where I typically agree with the people, because I don't have to watch what I say, I just say whatever I feel like saying and don't care how I word anything, I don't need to worry about offending my best friends. But when it's a bunch of people who can't wait to tell you how you'll change your mind about kids, I have to balance my strong personality against the desire not to offend them, so I'm not going to say, "Yeah that's a really mediocre view of life, I'm sorry but we're not hamsters and breeding isn't the primary goal of my existence, I have real goals in life." No, I have to say, "Haha, you're funny, well I can understand that's great for some people but my girlfriend and I aren't interested in that path." Or maybe they're talking about how they just love living in this city so much, it's so great, blah blah, etc. and I'm thinking have you looked out the window lately? It's miserable outside, the traffic sucks, taxes are horrible, people are obnoxious, there's nothing to do, and everything closes by 9 p.m. Instead, you just grin and come up with something diplomatic like, "Glad you enjoy it here, that's important to like where you're living, I think." Meanwhile taking all of my strength not to rant about how much this place sucks.

If you have stock, standard, mediocre attitudes and opinions about everything, if you more or less agree with the accepted wisdom of everyone around you, social interactions aren't that taxing, which is probably why extroverts outnumber introverts 3 to 1 in the population but among the highest IQ groups introverts outnumber extroverts. It's difficult for people to interact when they have so little in common with other people, and making small talk isn't what smart people really thrive on doing, so even common ground like what's your favorite burger joint in town is such a pointless waste of time that it's hard to get excited about that kind of banter. Commonality is what drives human interaction and conversation, at least initially, I mean you can disagree with people who are close friends, but how often do you hit it off with someone where you have nothing in common?! Never. When you have a ton in common with someone, you have a lot to talk about, versus, "Seen any movies lately?" "No, don't really watch movies." Oh, ok... hmm, what about video games? What have you played this year? "I don't play video games." Alrighty, uhh... how about sports, what do you watch? "Don't care about sports." Well there goes 3 subject areas I know an incredible amount about, so there went much of what we could have talked about, which leaves talking about work, not particularly something I care to do, since movies are part of my work and I guess they don't care about those. So you walk on to the next person with a polite, "Ok, enjoy your mediocre fun-less life, I guess, and have another crab cake!" *Yawn* Hard to be extroverted with stupid people.
BOOM truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I just hate the fact that SO many jobs are for extraverts and so few for introverts so these pedestrian jobs that I take litterally suck the life out of me. Co-workers jumping around smiling, "how can I help you" for 11/hr, I dont care about these people. Its brutal.
This is why I became self-employed. Brutal is a pretty good way to put it.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is why I became self-employed. Brutal is a pretty good way to put it.
Still trying to figure it out

Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
It depends on who your audiance is, are you selling to the sheeple public or are you selling to other governments or business to business. If you are selling consumer products to the general public your probably right.

If you are selling surface to air weapons to a second world country who is tired of getting bombed its not going to take alot of dog and pony show so long as the system works. Or if you are selling pump systems to major processing facilities, their own engineers will know what they want and what is good (ie you are selling engineer to engineer the best kind of sales).
selling to industrials , facilities , hospitals and municipalities is rarely about price in our business . it is based on years of relationships that were developed , years of problem solving and generally when that salesman leaves so do most of the accounts .

products don't sell themselves in this business . you need to demonstrate the need and that generates sales . especially if it is things related to someone getting their butt in trouble .

some of our sales people make multiple 7 figures , that is because they are good at what they do . they can identify opportunities , they can up sell where there are benefits to it and in our business customers are locked in by problem solving not price . you become their go to guy and i built a career on being that go to guy .

when i left the company i was with i had about 4 million in business follow me . that is quite a bit to bring to the party at a competitor . 15% of gross profit dollars in our business is the usual compensation for a commissioned sales person once they hit a certain level .

today in retirement i train others with potential sales ability to run with the ball and how to develop these relationships that make you the supplier and not your competitor . i sold full line electrical supplies , motor controls , vfd's , custom control panels , factory robotics , motors , pumps , energy mgmt systems . this is all from one distributor i was with . these products don't sell themselves .

Old 12-06-2018, 08:55 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I had to check the title of this thread a couple times, because the conversation doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.... I think we should get back on topic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Legal and illegal changes with political boundaries, and I will design and build what I want thank you very much lol. I think it depends on what you are buying.

When I was buying a new oil cooler hose for my plane there were 2 types and the guy said this other one is still good but cant be bent beyond a certain angle otherwise the integrity of the hose could be compromised but the hose was $100 less. I pictured myself in my plane with oil all over my windshild making a forced landing on a sketchy road because I wanted to cheap out.

Could he have been straight up lying to me ... maybe but I doubt it

If you are selling liquid hand soap, cheap beer, shampoo, etc then your margins are going to be slim and you better have the best graphic designer and hype man and even then your odds of failure are high.

Also its completely legal to make pre-cursor chemicals and sell them. Some of the pre-cursors are difficult to make and are expensive. If you can get set up to make them in semi bulk you could make good money and chemical suppliers dont really have hype men.

How much hype does air liquide have, welders dont need hype men to buy argon for their tanks.
But didn’t the guy who sold the oil cooler hose act as a salesperson?

I am generally satisfied with my situation. I keep thinking I want a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but as much as I want one I can live without it. I pretty much have everything else I truly want, the most important thing is financial security.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think we should get back on topic.
We were on topic sales men are satisfied with their jobs, minimum wage workers are likewise satisfied or else they would become said sales men because their resumes sell themselves

Quote:
Can you see someone turning in a resume "Speaks for itself, I've got nothing to add."
And we want some ice cream as job benefits too

Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
We were on topic sales men are satisfied with their jobs, minimum wage workers are likewise satisfied or else they would become said sales men because their resumes sell themselves

And we want some ice cream as job benefits too
i guess they are not good salesman though as if they are low wage earners it does not sound like any employer is buying in to that resume .

Old 12-06-2018, 01:24 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
I had to check the title of this thread a couple times, because the conversation doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.... I think we should get back on topic.
I was thinking we could tie the "do you have a natural personality for sales" to her mentioning she wanted residual income of some sort.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
This thread has run its course, so people started talking about other aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance