Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:32 AM

106,213 posts, read 108,191,934 times

Advertisements

exactly ....... you are not going to make a million anywhere else in the world either most likely. in fact our poor don't live anything like the poor in other parts of the world . oh man we were in cuba . talk about living conditions for poor .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 AM

24,434 posts, read 9,301,384 times
I doubt anyone is truly satisfied with their financial situation until they’re not working for a living by choice.

For the OP, you really have no choice but to find roommates or rent a room in a new place. It’s the only way you’re going to pay off that debt. A fill apartment right now is not what you need.

Then you do the debt snowball method and in no time you’ll be back on your feet.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,089,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactly ....... you are not going to make a million anywhere else in the world either most likely. in fact our poor don't live anything like the poor in other parts of the world . oh man we were in cuba . talk about living conditions for poor .
Lets all pat our selves on the back because we are not cuba or somalia

Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,089,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I doubt anyone is truly satisfied with their financial situation until they’re not working for a living by choice.

For the OP, you really have no choice but to find roommates or rent a room in a new place. It’s the only way you’re going to pay off that debt. A fill apartment right now is not what you need.

Then you do the debt snowball method and in no time you’ll be back on your feet.
Or live in a van, why is everyone poo pooing that. I would think a van would be way better than roomates, roomates are aweful.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:37 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,610,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

At 25 was a millionaire, at 26 dave Ramsey was broke bankrupted and losing everything due to banks buying his loans on his real estate and calling in his notes.
BOOM bankrupt.
He devised his plan over time and is now a multi millionaire again in ( i think) his 50s. (If nt 60s now)
Budgeting is key to reaching financial goals and Dave Ramsey does indeed have some great budgeting advice.

But please keep in mind, Dave Ramsey became a multi-millionaire by selling his baby steps, not by doing them.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,845,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Or live in a van, why is everyone poo pooing that. I would think a van would be way better than roomates, roomates are awful.
I had roommates for over 9 years. It wasn't ideal, but most of them were fine. Only one was truly awful.

While I had roommates, I saved my butt off so that I'd have options later in life.

Now I have enough of a nest egg that I'll probably never have to have roommates if I don't want to.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Or live in a van, why is everyone poo pooing that. I would think a van would be way better than roomates, roomates are aweful.
That could be the start of your new career. You could be a motivational speaker like Matt Foley, telling people about living in a van down by the river

Old 12-12-2018, 12:24 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,845,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
That could be the start of your new career. You could be a motivational speaker like Matt Foley, telling people about living in a van down by the river
There's a Google engineer who's already has a blog about that. He lives in a box truck in Google's parking lot. I'm sure he has several hundred thousand dollars saved by now:

https://frominsidethebox.com/

Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM

24,434 posts, read 9,301,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Budgeting is key to reaching financial goals and Dave Ramsey does indeed have some great budgeting advice.

But please keep in mind, Dave Ramsey became a multi-millionaire by selling his baby steps, not by doing them.
Bingo. I mean, you can just look at Dave Ramsey’s gut and see he never followed the “beans and rice, rice and beans” diet he tells his followers to do. He also admitted to being a massive spender (no doubt because the money is rolling in from multiple streams)

He offers solid practical advice, but some of it is down right wreckless, controversial, wrong, and archaic (he wants everyone to have a zero or undetermined credit score). Listening to his podcast/radio show is more about folks being interested in all the deadbeats in insane debt to make themselves feel good.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,934,316 times
I am satisfied with my financial situation and have been for more than 45 years, ever since I got my first decent paying job. I never wanted more than I had. I never wanted more than to have enough to get by on. While raising a family I used credit cards for the necessities, stuff we needed, but never for stuff we wanted but didn't need. I always had more credit available than debt so my back was never to the wall. But we didn't waste money either. We didn't eat out except on rare occasions, we didn't take vacations. By the time we were ready to retire we cut up all the credit cards and just used a debit card tied to a checking account. We haven't used a credit card or any type of credit in more than a decade. When I retired, we downsized and moved out of the city to a small house in a middle class/working class neighborhood and paid off our mortgage. For more than 20 years I have leased a new Camry sedan every three years, our main luxury. We rarely eat out, we don't travel. We are happy at home, we enjoy cooking and TV and our puppy and talking with friends and relatives on the phone. We have everything we want.
Being satisfied with your finances is not a question of money. It's a question of satisfaction, and reasonable planning for the future, never putting yourself in a financial corner, being able to keep your spending below your income. Many millionaires are never satisfied with their finances. Many middle class people with enough to eat, a place to live, and a job they enjoy are quite satisfied.
The only formula is: Spend less than you make and save a little. I started saving in my 40's and it worked for me. I still save a little. It may take 30 or 40 years to get there but if you can retire without money worries it will have been worth it.

Last edited by bobspez; 12-12-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance