Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OK, I'm pretty much done here. I thought I sounded pretty gracious when I said the following earlier this morning (below in purple colored font), which I genuinely mean, especially what I bolded. The horse analogy is to say that I know that it's up to ME & ME alone to make changes because everyone else can talk till they're blue in the face. Again, I'm just asking for suggestions, such as student loan help of where to turn, etc. NOT be reminded of fashion posts I already posted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just don't need anyone reminding me of what I said in past posts as carnivalday seemed to have so much time to lay out all my fashion posts so as to inform everyone else to probably join the bandwagon in scolding me for past actions. So what. If I didn't say all that on here, no one here would have known & many of you would have probably been more helpful w/ your posts. So since it looks like this is what the feedback is turning into, I know the rest is & was always up to ME. YES, I realize that. The first 5 pages of this thread was pretty good.

An alcoholic could have had his last drink YESTERDAY, but if he's attending an AA meeting the next day, that means he wants help & wants to change. But, I'm being reminded of past posts, etc. Every single person who's made a change regarding something had their FIRST day at some point to start their change, so I was doing it & asking for suggestions.

Thanks again to those who gave good advice without judging, bringing up any past stuff, taking the time to search through past posts to see what incriminating things they can throw back in my face now, etc.
I am not jumping on the bandwagon to scold you, but I did learn from carnivalday's post that your financial problems appear to come more from too much spending than too little income. It seems you may have come to realize that too. No one can offer you any advice about your student loan until you have addressed your out-of-control spending.

The solution is simple but may not be easy for your if you're addicted to shopping and buying things. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by Marlow; 11-28-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:19 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Another thing to consider is dont move to a climite that has excessive weather (in either direction) unless you have a VERY good job there and you can keep the student loan issues at bay while increasing your income. I live in Alaska and the threat of freezing to death is very real (as it is in many other states) if something happens and you find yourself without ample family support and/or a good job.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:56 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Again, I'm just asking for suggestions, such as student loan help of where to turn.
But, how can you not see yet that every post was offering you suggestions on how to change your spending so you could start paying off your student loans?

Old 11-28-2018, 04:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Again, I'm just asking for suggestions, such as student loan help of where to turn, etc.
The way to pay off a debt is to prepay the principal as quickly as you can. Interest accrues each day, so the sooner you reduce your principal, the less it will cost you, and the sooner your debt will be paid in full.

Do you have a written budget? If not, it is time to make one. Gather your bank statements, credit card statements, and pay stubs. How much is coming in? How much is going out, and for what? Write it down. It's OK to start with guesstimates, you can refine your numbers as you go. Every dollar you can divert to your goal helps you get there faster.

Stop using your credit cards and start tracking all spending.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:37 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Sure, living in a van would be cheapest, but only certain types of people will do that. Would you guys actually do it?
I didn't read every single post, but I don't recall anyone suggesting you live in a van. You don't like sarcastic posts. Maybe you should take some of your own advice.

I DID however live in 3 different rented rooms (which I rented from homeowners) over an 8.5 year period from age 26 to 35 so that I could get ahead financially. So I, personally, DO practice what I preach.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:30 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I didn't read every single post, but I don't recall anyone suggesting you live in a van. You don't like sarcastic posts. Maybe you should take some of your own advice.

I DID however live in 3 different rented rooms (which I rented from homeowners) over an 8.5 year period from age 26 to 35 so that I could get ahead financially. So I, personally, DO practice what I preach.
While I didn't do the roomate thing, I did make a plan and moved from the a nice area that was expensive to a much lower col 2500 miles away and lived economically within reason. Sure I missed the bay area and my family and friends, but the sacrifice was worth it as 3 years later I was able to turn things around and retire early. Could I have done that staying where I liked, maybe. But it would have been a lot tougher and maybe not turned out like it did. In the end I am actually quite happy in my new location. BTW I did this at age 57 knowing I had little time to turn my life around.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Sorry, OP, but you need to go on a financial diet. Little things really do add up, and it sounds like a lot of your money is going towards stuff like false eyelashes, and it's a good guess that the kind of shopping you described in previous posts didn't just start happening during the past month. I know that you think that people are ganging up on you, but when you ask for this kind of advice, you don't get to pick and choose the answers, and you've gotten some pretty good feedback. You need to get a grip on your shopping; my advice is to find a support group in your area for that issue.

I also think you need to move. California rent and home prices are just going to keep going higher and higher. If you're serious about being a homeowner, you need to move to a place where you can eventually afford to buy.

It isn't that expensive to feed one person, so I'm not sure I'd go the top ramen route exclusively, but keep in mind that the organic label is often used as a marketing tactic. It's also really easy to grow your own micro greens, sprouts, and culinary herbs.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:07 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
While I didn't do the roomate thing, I did make a plan and moved from the a nice area that was expensive to a much lower col 2500 miles away and lived economically within reason. Sure I missed the Bay Area and my family and friends, but the sacrifice was worth it as 3 years later I was able to turn things around and retire early. Could I have done that staying where I liked, maybe. But it would have been a lot tougher and maybe not turned out like it did. In the end I am actually quite happy in my new location. BTW I did this at age 57 knowing I had little time to turn my life around.
I may end up leaving the Bay Area as well, for both financial and other reasons.

The thing about people who do well financially, is they're willing to do what it takes. They make hard choices. They want financial security/freedom more than they want anything else. I don't think our OP is really willing, although I would love to be proven wrong about that.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
I may end up leaving the Bay Area as well, for both financial and other reasons.

The thing about people who do well financially, is they're willing to do what it takes. They make hard choices. They want financial security/freedom more than they want anything else. I don't think our OP is really willing, although I would love to be proven wrong about that.
The Bay Area is a wonderful place but expensive. While one can live comfortably they may be using a lot on their income to live on instead of investing which would put them ahead or set them up for retirement. For some they may find later they are in a difficult place with no time to make it up.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

There's a middle ground between being a miser piling up wealth and spending every paycheck. My choices that mattered were all made by the time I was in my early 20s. I didn't want to be poor so I made sure I got a college degree in something useful from a good school with good grades. There were lots of nights where I wanted to be drinking from that keg or getting high with my friends where I had to study. Once my career was launched, it was mostly a matter of always trying to be the most productive guy in the room. The raises and promotions came from that. It wasn't an extreme sacrifice to be competent 5 days per week. I wouldn't trade the disposable income I've squandered for a big pile of money. I've accumulated enough wealth that I'll be comfortable when I stop working. I'd rather have 40 years of memorable adulthood than hit 60-something where I haven't traveled the world and done all kinds of memorable things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance