Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP is asking for solutions, but I've read all her posts in this thread, and she doesn't want a solution to fix her finances and manage her money. She wants a solution that enables her to spend more money. No one has helped with that.

Given all the behaviors that she "cant" change, the only thing I can think of is to get a better paying job.

OP's ideas include winning the lottery and getting a residual income, ( which doesn't happen without hard work and investment). In the same vein of thought, there is also inheriting from a rich relative.

Folks, OP is asking us how to get more money to spend.
I'd rep you again if i could.

I offered suggestions early on that OP poo-poo'd. My suggestions may be THE best suggestions, but certainly are a good place to start. And ive learned them the hard way.

Op is what, 44? Wont be any different when OP is 54 if OP is unwilling to CHANGE things. The only thing she wants to know is how to refi her student loans, probably to get a lower payment so she has more $to spend on meaningless junk.

OP is probably not teading anymore because she's been knocked down a notch, actually more than a notch.

I dont even know why ive continued to read this thread, i guess in hopes the OP would take my suggestions, your suggestions, any suggestions, but apparently not.

At this point. If OP is reading, i feel like we are doing the equivalent of "feeding a troll", even though I'm sure the OP is not a troll.

So until the OP is willing to change things, WE might as well adopt tge old addage: " grant me the serenity to acceot the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and tge wisdom to know the difference ".....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_nEhOTPUcM

Old 12-04-2018, 01:14 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
**That was supposed to be "my suggestions may NOT be THE best suggestions ...."

My fingers did not type in the "NOT" that was in my brain.

See? The things i CAN change....just another post later....

Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Did I or did I not thanks people for their suggestions? I have more than once.

Not everyone can just up & move guys. I'm the only offspring to my now 80 yr old mother. I've had to drive her to a place here & there so I want to be here for her. Her & I talk on the phone daily. We're very close. I've never wanted to live anywhere else in my life anyway. My dad passed 3 yrs ago, so I'm not just going to up & leave her all alone. She has no one else to depend on. And yes, it's legit. I started a couple of threads in the Grief & Mourning section of this board. Here's one of them back in 2015:

My Father Passed Away

My parents weren't wealthy, but they've sacrificed & saved me a bit of money. I'm not touching it & haven't. That's for later on in life. I was in a car accident w/ my mom when I was 2 yrs old. I got a tad of money & to this day, barely used any of it. I don't want to use up any money now. I'll work & pay any bills, rent, etc. I have now.

I've thought about starting a youtube channel for about the last couple or so yrs now. I should just learn more about it & do it. I wish I had started 10 yrs ago. Nowadays, there are millions cosmetics, fashion, etc. channels out there, so I'd have to think of something really, really unique that would stand out.

Someone said I'm still asking about sources (to assumably buy). What have I asked about lately after mid to late-Nov? Either way, a person can talk about a lamborghini & never buy one. I don't want to buy another thing of anything unless it's a need. But, sure, do I still like clothes & fashion & talking about it. Yes.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 12-04-2018 at 05:53 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 PM

23,302 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

But, sure, do I still like clothes & fashion & talking about it. Yes.
Unfortunately OP, talking about it means it is continuously in your head. You are looking at it, thinking about it, comparing it, and for many people all this ends up doing is providing more incentive and temptation to buy it. To start getting out of that habit you need to drop it from the forefront of your mind. Don't keep enticing yourself. Make it less and less important compared to other things...like the things that need more attention.

If you truly want to KEEP all that saved money for the future, you need to face your financial problems and change your thinking. If you don't there will be a day when you get desperate enough to dig into it. The first time will be hardest but the next and the next won't. A slippery slope.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-04-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 05:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
We have no debt (other than the house) and just food, taxes, insurance costs BIG money and just keeps getting worse. I am going to have to divest assets just because the tax burdens are getting so out of hand try to get the house paid off but even once its paid off the taxes represent around 1/3 of our mortgage which is a big deal. How do you keep up all these bureaucratic payments when your trying to buy your own time back, its almost impossible. Unfortunately the land assets I have are not income generating and would cost hundreds of thousands to get them to that point and even then its a gamble.

For the average American they are battling the govt wanting more and more and companies wanting to pay less and less. I am surprised there is not more Americans (smart educated Americans) who are not trying to emigrate to places like Germany where at least you have free education and health care and GOOD jobs are staunchly protected.

The USA is very slowly creeping towards feudalism and a new dark ages. People living in dilapidated huts, homeless camps and trailers because they dont have the "skills" (even though alot of underemployed people have stem degrees) to make enough money to advance their lives and accumulate income generating assets.
Someone please post the solution to this...

Another poster mentioned that the answer is there and stated that it doesn't involve living the standard American life.

So what is the solution for someone like pittsflyer then?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:06 PM

23,302 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

Another poster mentioned that the answer is there and stated that it doesn't involve living the standard American life.

If you own "land assets" that don't generate any income and you can't afford to pay the tax on said assets, you can't afford to own them. Sell them and regroup.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you own "land assets" that don't generate any income and you can't afford to pay the tax on said assets, you can't afford to own them. Sell them and regroup.
Hmmm...fair enough point, I guess...

Old 12-04-2018, 07:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I agree

Old 12-04-2018, 09:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

put aside money when you are making $200k knowing that you may not always make $200k? buy things that you could afford the upkeep on a lower salary if needed, though it's pretty much gossip in his case since its in the past, and hindsight and all that at this point

he could sell and rebuy it later on if he wanted it back. it is costly but he wouldn't be on the street during the process either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance