U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:35 AM

25,913 posts, read 28,290,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back. Thanks again guys. I know changes have to be made here & the sooner the better. That's why I've been wanting something that makes RESIDUAL income as well because just making money when I'm working isn't cutting it. I can work up to 14-16 hrs a day, but that's not much of a life to keep up forever.

Re: roommates, I know they help alleviate bills ALL on me, but I've never had roommates & don't want to. I don't even know anyone who'd room w/ me, so it would be total strangers & in this day & age, I can't live w/ someone I don't know & just hope that I can trust them because I won't. I won't be able to close my eyes at night w/o wondering what they're up to.

I do plan to search for threads on here how others dealt w/ their student loans. I don't have any kind of government or city job that qualifies for the loan to be waived as I've seen that being said on the internet from time to time. I don't care at this point if I have to make SMALL payments forever. I'll do that just as long as the payments I can pay are doable & not some astronomical amount.

I should just sell on eBay like a lot of other people. If they can learn to do it & do it successfully, I should be able to, but I don't have any room here to store anything, so I'll need a drop shipper.

In response to the eating beans, rice, ramen, etc., I know those are cheap foods. I personally need to eat more healthy than that & stay away from carbs as much as possible. Organic produce & a little organic meat aren't that expensive & much healthier.
Ok, so this is the problem with these advice threads in general. People make suggestions, and then your brain starts firing off all kinds of reasons/excuses as to why those suggestions aren't possible.

Anything you go to do will be outside your comfort zone. Waaaay outside. If you can't accept that, stop asking for advice and just remain forever blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 AM

22,360 posts, read 28,250,625 times
OP, you have student loan debt, so what is your degree in? Maybe someone here can think of an out-if-the-box way to use your degree that will get you a better job.

What did you plan to use the degree for when you started working at it?

What are your job skills?

You need a better paying job. Maybe someone can recognize a possibility for you.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:25 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,005,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Re: first paragraph: yes, i didnt mean work a 3rd job forever, just until there is a handle on some of the debt. If working one living wage job was doing it, the OP would not need the second job to begin with. Both are part time, and OP has already stated they BOTH "could end any time". A third temporary job will help bring in more money, at least fir a year. If OP devotes ever last dollar from the third job to paying off debt by paying off the lowest balance, that will help free up cash to devote to next lowest balance. Heck even flipping burgers fir a few hours a week can bring in $100/week, or over $5k a year. That goes a long way towards paying off the accumulated debt. OP hasnt told us how much debt, but the cc debt HAS to go first.

Second paragraph: yes, starting any business requires money to start up. And OP doesn't have that.....
Selling and dealing with a drop shipper can still leave OP vulnerable to returns, missed shipments, late shipments and otger things that may mean amazon drops the OP. Even ebay has a whole list on several pages fir sellers to follow. Ebay, and buying one off items from say garage sales might be a cheap start fir OP. Also selling excess items the OP has accumulated may also be a goid idea, especially if not used anymore. Sure it requires a trip to post office, but can be started on a shoe string. A twice weekly trip is all that is needed.

OP, i understand yoyr reluctance to have a room mate. Byt really, i started life out with and had roommates for 15 years. Not as bad as you think.

OP All of the ideas here depend largely on how quickly you want this. If you are resistant you wilk take longer to get out if debt. People have paid off $75k in just 2 years on Dave Ramsey s show, quite a feat, but they knuckled down and did whatever it took to get it done.
All depends on badly you want it. You already know you are not getting any younger.

Goid on you though that you have kept your paid fir car. Keep it till tge wheels fall off. Dave Ramsey has a few theories in that on his YouTube videos.

Again, best of luck to you....

A detailed spread sheet has to be built to weigh options. If, for instance, you have to work this 3rd job until you are 130 years old thatís not a wise use of time. OP may have to leave the country for greener pastures. The math (or calculus) has to work otherwise itís a non starter. If you are already stable a low wage job may buy you time to figure out a way out but if your head is already under water you may have to do something way more extreme than picking up a 3rd job.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:37 PM

8,597 posts, read 5,025,797 times
Well, what ARE you willing to do to change your situation? Figure that out and go from there.

Where you are right now is a direct result of all the choices you have made to this point. If you don't like where you are, you will have to make some different choices. Wishing will not change anything.

Last edited by Petunia 100; 11-27-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 01:47 PM

23,853 posts, read 30,018,322 times
as long as i am working, i am not truly satisfied with my financial situation. however, i know that i am extremely fortunate to be in the position that i am in and nobody will feel sorry for me if i complain. but i can always dream for perfection.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:46 PM

6,648 posts, read 2,709,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back.
In response to the eating beans, rice, ramen, etc., I know those are cheap foods. I personally need to eat more healthy than that & stay away from carbs as much as possible. Organic produce & a little organic meat aren't that expensive & much healthier.
ORGANIC produce and meat isn't expensive? Compared to the dastardly evil non-organic produce and meat? Are you serious? This is one example of the many smaller choices you are not willing to make to change your situation. You can reduce your grocery budget by using some of those cheaper foods to stretch the rest more often. There are healthy cheaper foods, you just don't want to eat them.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM

1,002 posts, read 880,254 times
I'm not satisfied too, I have 4 little kids and my wife can't work yet. Though we have a house but my salary is just good enough to keep us afloat. A couple of emergency situations led us into big credit card debt which I am slowly paying. Without the debt, we can live decently.

What I'm doing? Strictly diet on food and utility consumption. We set a 2week budget for food, we plan our meals, list down the needed ingredients. Our budget is now down by 30% and we didn't sacrifice anything, we still eat healthy food.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:47 PM

419 posts, read 252,375 times
Forever Blue, you need a career rather than two part-time jobs. Now is a great time to be job hunting. In your position, I'd be spending my time tracking down a good job with benefits. It takes time, effort, and a belief in yourself to find a great job, but it's worth it. Polish that resume and put yourself out there. Don't settle for part-time jobs that are unstable.

Look very closely at all expenses. Don't spend on anything other than necessities.

I know you don't want to hear this again, but you need to get out from under that high rent. Find something cheaper like an efficiency apartment, that is if you don't live in one already. Again, this takes time and effort, but it's worth it. It can be quite fun to shake things up by renting a new place, just don't buy any new furniture.

I'm not gonna give you a hard time about buying organic because I do it too. But, I only buy organic for fruit and veggies on the dirty dozen list. I buy sales and stock up. Organic frozen veggies are great, and making a big pot of soup with them weekly is cheap, filling, and healthy. I buy organic chicken when it's on sale at Target and pay less than half the price that way. Find your best bargains if you haven't already. They're there.

It's good that you realize that you are in a bad position and asked for help. At 44, you do really need to make changes to make your life better and to prepare for eventual retirement. It's never too late, but it takes some good old hard work.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:52 PM

25,913 posts, read 28,290,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Forever Blue, you need a career rather than two part-time jobs. Now is a great time to be job hunting. In your position, I'd be spending my time tracking down a good job with benefits. It takes time, effort, and a belief in yourself to find a great job, but it's worth it. Polish that resume and put yourself out there. Don't settle for part-time jobs that are unstable.

Look very closely at all expenses. Don't spend on anything other than necessities.

I know you don't want to hear this again, but you need to get out from under that high rent. Find something cheaper like an efficiency apartment, that is if you don't live in one already. Again, this takes time and effort, but it's worth it. It can be quite fun to shake things up by renting a new place, just don't buy any new furniture.

I'm not gonna give you a hard time about buying organic because I do it too. But, I only buy organic for fruit and veggies on the dirty dozen list. I buy sales and stock up. Organic frozen veggies are great, and making a big pot of soup with them weekly is cheap, filling, and healthy. I buy organic chicken when it's on sale at Target and pay less than half the price that way. Find your best bargains if you haven't already. They're there.

It's good that you realize that you are in a bad position and asked for help. At 44, you do really need to make changes to make your life better and to prepare for eventual retirement. It's never too late, but it takes some good old hard work.
I agree with all that. I'll just add it's not just about working hard, but working smart/efficiently. You have to do both.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 AM

4,401 posts, read 2,551,558 times
OP, now this may be a little nasty, not meant to be thst way, but you HAVE to be willing to change what you are doing. What you are doing is what got you to here, where you are now.

Except the ramen noodoes what i suggested IS healthy. A rotisserie chicken is healthy as the fat is drained away. The skin can be peeled away if you like. Meatloaf is red meat but a bit wont hurt you. Rice is the healthiest of tge starches, over bread stuffing or potatoes. They have done study and study after tests and test, and " organic " is not more healthy than regular. Even for veggies and meats. Tastes may vary, true a bit, but chicken is going to taste like chicken and broccoli like broccoli.
Maybe baloney isnt the best, but its made with chicken, pork or beef parts that arent prime is all. Substitute peanut butter, a healthy protein and low or no sugar jelly ( fruit) instead. Point was take your lunch to work, dont buy outside lunch. You can still eat healthy but inexpensively ( i hate the sound of cheap). Shop sakes freeze produce when cheap and in harvest season fir later. In socal you might be able to fibd most produce in season, though.

It seems most every idea from not just me, but every one, you have an excuse for why it wont work for you. You need to be receptive to other ideas outside your comfort zone and outside the box.

What you are doing isnt working currently, so you need to make changes.

Cut out cable except internet. You can stream tv if you need to, or go to library to get books to read or videos to watch.

Cut your utilities bills. Put on an item like a sweater if chilly, or take something off if hot. Use a fan instead of a/c.
Unplug appliances not in use, phantom use can eat into your bill.
Use solar rechargeable lights with switches on top in the camping section for light instead of burning electrical bulbs. One set of rechargeable batteries will last at least a year and will be cheaper than electric bulb usage.
Even a toaster can use phantom power and shpukd be unplugged.
Cook many meals at once instead of burning the stove every night for a meal. A microwave is cheaper for a few seconds than running stove fir a half hour.

Point being what youve been doing got you there, now try changing what you are doing for different results.

Also it shoukd reason that fund a job that utilizes you degree is in order, even if you have to move to another city. Unless your degree is in basket weaving 101 or lesbian dance theory, or a degree in extinct cultures and dead languages, you should be able to find a job. But you also have to be willing to move to an area that might offer as much as your current area, yet have a lower cost of living. Utilizing your degree to its best potential is best.

None of our ideas are meant to be permanent, just temporary. A 3 rd job is not ideal, nor is a roomate, but those two combined could put $10k in your pocket in a year. That ought to pay down SOME debt!! So you rent a room out for a year, work a 3rd job fir a year, guves you head start on debt. Then you can breathe easier once that roughly $10k is paid down.if one of your part time jobs end, at least youll have another one to fall back on.

Its just ideas some of us through experience have done, know others have done.

As someone upthread said, make a list of what you ARE willing to change and come back and tell us, we can then advise you better.

Until then if you keep your head in the sand and are unwilling to change things, youre going to continue to be in tye same boat bailing out water fir as long as you are stubbornly willing to until you change the boat or replace or repair it.

" if you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got".

Best of luck to you...still

Last edited by galaxyhi; 11-28-2018 at 02:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or