Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:41 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times

Advertisements

Hey Yall,

I'm starting a new job soon and would like to set up an IRA. I currently do not have any retirement and I am 36. Should I just set one up through my bank? My new job does not offer any type of retirement. Please help me. I know nothing about this stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 01:44 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
An IRA is like a basket. Its what you put in it that counts. You can put in it mutual funds, stocks, cash. I would recommend opening a ROTH Ira. I have one that I opened around your age, and all my withdrawals now are tax free. Nice.

Maybe go to Fidelity and let them help you open your IRA. Then you can buy some good dividend paying stocks, especially now since the market is down. Set them to reinvest into themselves, and watch your dividend income grow....tax free.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:07 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
An IRA is like a basket. Its what you put in it that counts. You can put in it mutual funds, stocks, cash. I would recommend opening a ROTH Ira. I have one that I opened around your age, and all my withdrawals now are tax free. Nice.

Maybe go to Fidelity and let them help you open your IRA. Then you can buy some good dividend paying stocks, especially now since the market is down. Set them to reinvest into themselves, and watch your dividend income grow....tax free.
What is the difference between a Roth and Traditional?

Old 12-22-2018, 04:44 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
My opinion is that banks are expensive and I would not use one.
Look for an on line broker or mutual fund. Vanguard, E*Trade, Charles Schwab and Fidelity are places to look.
You should be able to complete the account on line and send in a check for your deposit. If you have problem call customer service.
A traditional IRA gives you a tax deduction today for the money you put in but taxes all the money you take out at retirement.
The Roth does not give you a tax break on the money you put in but does not tax anything you take out.
I would go with the ROTH.
As mentioned the account is a holder. Next you have to pick the investment to put in. You will find a lot of education on the sites I mentioned.
If you had earned income this year you can put money in now. If not then you could open now but sent the money in 2019 and be sure to note that it is a 2019 deposit.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:52 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default You need to educate yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
What is the difference between a Roth and Traditional?
1. Go to Fidelity.com and set up an account. Create a traditional IRA and put $100 in it. With $100 it does not matter between Roth and trad(itional).

2. Decide how much you are going to put into your IRA each pay period and do it. Always.

3. Go here https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 and read. For hours.

4. Go here https://money.com-sub.biz/?gclid=EAI...E&gclsrc=aw.ds and spend the $15.

5. Be prepared to put some to a lot of effort into this. Retirement planning in the USA is way more complicated than it ought to be.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:32 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
I use vanguard and really like it. If you buy and sell vanguard based ETF's there are no commissions charged, very low fees.

Someone in finance once told me "if you qualify for a Roth chances are it's your best option"... So without putting too much thought into it I'd go Roth.

Another idea, open an automatic saving/investing account. I just started using Acorns and love it! It automatically rounds up your purchases and automatically invests it. So if you by lunch for $6.25 it'll round up to $7.00 and put that extra $.75 into the acorns account which is then automatically invested! https://www.acorns.com/invite/RWH4MC

Old 12-22-2018, 08:01 PM

125 posts, read 291,935 times
I'm curious as to why so many are recommending the Roth without asking any additional questions of the OP. For me, I don't think the Roth would be a better deal, because I make a fairly high salary. I'm probably going to be in a lower tax bracket when I retire, so why would I want to pay higher taxes on the money right now? I also only spend about half of my income right now, and will probably continue living the same lifestyle in retirement, so, again, my income will likely be much lower during retirement than it is now, which means I should be paying less income tax during retirement than I do now.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:24 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
I'm curious as to why so many are recommending the Roth without asking any additional questions of the OP. For me, I don't think the Roth would be a better deal, because I make a fairly high salary. I'm probably going to be in a lower tax bracket when I retire, so why would I want to pay higher taxes on the money right now? I also only spend about half of my income right now, and will probably continue living the same lifestyle in retirement, so, again, my income will likely be much lower during retirement than it is now, which means I should be paying less income tax during retirement than I do now.
Excellent point. Also, I would certainly be sure I was on track to have my 0% and 10% tax brackets full before I focused on my Roth.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:32 AM

11 posts, read 7,264 times
I'm in my early 30's and started a Roth IRA with Vanguard last year. I have no complaints thus far.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:57 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
The ROTH is very good for lower income individuals.
For higher earners it could vary and I would want a mix of both regular and ROTH.
Look at your income with the RMD's. Your income maybe higher than you think.
Lets say 20 years ago you purchased Amazon at $10. Say you got a $2 tax deduction. You sell it and take the proceeds from your IRA. Say 1,000. Taxes 200. The numbers are made up but a life time of tax free earnings has some value.

You are correct that a lot of information is not generally in the posts and we all make assumptions. For example the assumption that a regular IRA is better than a ROTH for the individual. You are also missing the same facts we are so who know who is correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance